Dodge Air Flow truck

RWPerry

Last weekend we ran a tour for our Packard Region and as part of the tour stopped at the I80 Truck Museum near Walcott, IA on I 80. One truck I had never seen before was this 1935 Dodge Air Flow tanker truck. It is a very unique design. Is this an actual Dodge or something someone put together? It looks to be totally original condition. I have just never seen any photos of this model. When we ran the 2011 DBC Meet we went to this museum on one of our tours but since then they have doubled the size so if you are ever traveling on I80 ineastern Iowa it would be worth a stop. They have some fantastic truck history.

35 Dodge Truck.jpg

• Like 2

A buddy of mine used to make a cast iron toy of that truck....various oil company versions. He made some TEXACO trucks, but the company wrote him a letter to stop producing them.

Picture 1342.jpg

Picture 1343.jpg

Picture 1346.jpg

Picture 1347.jpg

Picture 1350.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2017 at 9:58 AM, keiser31 said:

A buddy of mine used to make a cast iron toy of that truck....various oil company versions. He made some TEXACO trucks, but the company wrote him a letter to stop producing them.

Picture 1342.jpg

Picture 1343.jpg

Picture 1346.jpg

Picture 1347.jpg

Picture 1350.jpg

Does Tom Sehloff still make cast iron toys?  This Richfield truck is beyond beautiful!

38 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

Does Tom Sehloff still make cast iron toys?  This Richfield truck is beyond beautiful!

Yes, he still makes some of his toys. At the risk of hijacking this thread, here are some of his other toys that he made....1935 Chryslers and some Packards. If you want to talk to him, call this number...(541)621-9013. Check out some of his other stuff here....https://www.google.com/search?q=Tom+Sehloff&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI9f_Rz7jUAhVI5CYKHZ8tBCsQsAQIKA&biw=1056&bih=520

35Chrysler.jpg

35Chrysler2.jpg

35 Chrysler4.jpg

045d_7.JPG

Packards.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 839.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 892.jpg

Picture 1018.jpg

Picture 1015.jpg

Picture 8253.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Total, unmitigated hijack on my part, but I've always loved models.  Tom's stuff is just incredible.  Not even car related, but I build ship models out of printed paper as the old toy makers did in the late 1900s.  This one is 48 inches long.593ebb0ac9b2f_longshotboat1copy.thumb.jpg.4ccdb98d2b61dfbc93012c9609e3c002.jpg593ebb2173781_boat1large.thumb.jpg.73c3a8a880686b03bae25ba2d6271fe8.jpg  There is something very satisfying about making miniature versions of the real thing.

• Like 1

Just beautiful work. You have to wonder why these companies go so crazy about a toy or something representing a product or company that been out of business for so long. For the little they will make on copyrights, you would think they would be supportive of reviving their history!

38 minutes ago, RWPerry said:

Since I have a Packard as well as the Dodges I really like those Packard models. They look great! Wish I had one.

The "safari wagon" is my favorite. Tom grafted one of his travel trailers onto the front of a 1930 Packard. The telescope, spotlights and davits for the canoes swivel and the canoes are separate and made of basswood. Of course, the men are separate items, too. Here is the rest of the safari set....I guess we're still on topic since there is part of a Dodge Airflow in this photo....

Safari set.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1