Request for a picture of a gas gauge

Thanks for the try Tom but mine is totally different. It work similar with a series of three cork pieces on a lever that is directly connected to the needle on the face. I will post a picture of what I have tomorrow. I am looking to recreate the face that is under the needle. 

Mine being the same on the '25, I polished the face highlights, (brass) and painted in the background black, as I seem to have found traces of the black paint still left on part of it. Word to the wise; use gasoline proof paint. The tank fumes go up into that gauge face area and will crinkle up a lot of the enamel paints used today!!  P.S. I believe the green you're seeing is corroded brass.

000_0011.jpg

Edited by Pete K.
picture attatched (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have a question about my own 1926 fuel gauge. I wanted to see if anyone knows what face mine might have. It does not look original. I don't see any resemblance to any pictures I've seen. 

IMG_2137.thumb.PNG.ef6c579a3caa6d95e415c7ce7dbaaeab.PNG

I know it's hard to see it, but I'll be tackling this problem after I do the mile long do to list that has already grown exponentially. When I do, I'll snap a better pic of it. 

DB - I was unable to find anything that resembled what was in my tank. So when all else fails, improvise! Yours does not look like mine either. I will post a picture later today of my improvisation. Just out of curiosity are your gauge and fill on opposite ends of the tank?

Yes. BE CAREFUL!!!! Use extreme care when trying to break it loose or it will bend out of shape. In old testament proportions there will be lots of broken glass and fire and brine stone! Use heat, PB Blaster, WD-40, and some Jim Beam might break it loose. (Jim Beam after it's broke loose)

Let us know!

Bill

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2018 at 5:35 PM, Machinist_Bill said:

Yes. BE CAREFUL!!!! Use extreme care when trying to break it loose or it will bend out of shape. In old testament proportions there will be lots of broken glass and fire and brine stone! Use heat, PB Blaster, WD-40, and some Jim Beam might break it loose. (Jim Beam after it's broke loose)

Let us know!

Bill

Will do. I will let it soak for the week and attempt to remove this weekend. I'll update you with pics. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DB26 and Wheelmang, Guys you are both correct in that this fuel gauge with the hand sweeping straight across was used only a short time from A469745 (Oct '25) to A 689430 (Jun '26) . Also the fuel cap was twist-off with 2 lock pins and was used from A57835 (Mar '24) to A 677902 (Jun '26). There were SOOO many short term changes going on from '25 to '28 that it is a pain trying to keep things straight. Good Luck. 

Edited by RAH
add a word (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I also have a 26 sedan and my gas gauge face has peeled off revealing the same face but made out of brass. Also the magnet inside that holds the pointer is crappy at best. Tiny screws hold the entire assembly from falling in. (Many a time I had to fish out the assembly. I use a wooden dowel that I machined and color coded as a fuel gauge.  

If it were me, I would use Inkscape and trace over that one, correctly scaled. Inkscape is a vector graphics program and there will be NO PIXELLATION at any scale. Then I would export it in a format a computer printer can use to have a transfer made of it. You can get it looking good at 10 x the correct scale and it will be spot on at true scale.

Inkscape is free to boot. I have recently done a 1930 Canadian Dodge Brothers body plate and a Canadian Delco generator plate with it. The Bezier curves make it easy to create smooth curves to make letters and numbers to match any type face.

The graphic you show is quite furry around the edges of the letters etc. which indicates it is bitmap and pixellated. It will be sharp with Inkscape. And you can make the lettering look right. What we see here has variable thickness strokes in each letter and number. "GALS." is rough and the "S" in USA needs straightening. As well, the numbers with curves need straightening and the stroke widths in the ones are all different. I think you can do better than that.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

No, so I asked the www. You print on decal stock using a laser printer and transfer it to your gauge. I would need to look further, but it is possible the image has to be reversed for printing.

Ask the www about decals for instrument or gauge faces. I found a couple of sites in a few moments showing how it is done. e.g. http://www.reproductiondecals.com/moreinfo_gauge_resto.html

http://www.studegarage.com/instruments.htm