WANTED: 1927 DB steering box

So you have a 124  with 116 " wheel base not a 128 with 108 " wheel base which was known as the fast four ,these two have different stearing boxes, yours is mounted on a saddle and has a longer secter shaft and a larger tooth pattern than the fast four . Your shaft and worm is the same as the Senior Six , 124 and some 126 cars , but not the 128 . Will see if i have any parts left  BOB

I don't have the car here to measure the wheelbase, but it's a fast four, five main bearing four cylinder, it's the convertible coupe that they only produced for a few months in 1927.

The steering box in this car has a large amount of play.  Bob, let me know if you find something better.  thanks!

December 2014 335.JPG

I am not going to be any good for you as you drive on the wrong side of the road to us. These boxes are fully adjustable ,so you should be able to correct any free play ,I can provide all the information on how to adjust them ,very unusual not to be able to correct them even when worn. Have you had the box apart, any pics is possible Bob

I've not had the box apart, the car is being worked on by a good friend who's a Mopar nut, uhh, I mean, expert.  He says there's so much play in the box that it's beyond repair and adjustment, so that's what I'm going on. 

If you have instructions on adjustment I'd be interested to see them.  thanks!

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Steering box can't be adjusted any more than it is, in addition the pitman arm doesn't tightly fit the shaft, so there are numerous problems with the box.

Would like to find a good steering box for this car, right now it has about 8 inches play which is dangerous.  Car is running great, but steering seems to be of some importance!!

Any help out there with a good one?  I'm spending my 6000th post on this forum asking for help!  thanks David C.

• 2 weeks later...

I adjust the identical box today on my 28 Standard Six. It had almost a 1/4 turn either direction before the wheels would react to steering input. I was certain it was junk. There are two adjustments to make, you might be surprised. Sector shaft end play and worm gear lash. Sector shaft end play is the adjuster on the inboard side, towards the engine. Worm gear lash is corrected by the eccentric on the sector shaft housing (at the Pitman arm) loosen off the housing bolts and turn the eccentric clockwise to tighten the lash (7/8 wrench). It is at the 12:00 position behind the 5/8 nut. Have the sector shaft end play loosened off prior to this. (3/4 wrench and a flat screwdriver)