63 remote mirror sprung?

riviadrian

I am about to reinstall my new interior door panel and I have the outer door skin off.  Since I bought my car the mirror always pointed downward and wouldn't adjust to another position. I read that sometimes one of the wires becomes disconnected from the handle, but this was not the case  with mine. Everything was hooked up, but one of the cables was badly bent, so I assumed that it needed to be replaced. Even when disconnected from the handle it always pointed downward. 

I sourced and old one from another ROA member, but his was in the same shape.  Before I put everything back together, is this normal? Am I missing something, or do I still need another mirror?  Also, does the rubber cone that is attached to the wires go between the outer and inner door skins? There doesn't seem to be room between the inner door structure and interior door panel, so that's my assumption. I cannot find anything about the mirror in either of my service manuals.

Thanks! 

-Adrian-

The following pictures are from when I had to replace a smashed door skin on the passenger side. You can probably figure out the location of the mirror from this and the mirror on the driver side is in the same location. I don't know when the passenger side mirror was mounted, it isn't a factory option. To my understanding the mirrors have been mounted in different locations.

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

Thanks, but my issue is not the location of the mirror on the door.  The actual glass portion always points downward. I think one of the remote cables may be shot, causing it to lose its adjustability.    There is a rubber cone on the end of the cables that separates them, wondering which side of the inner door it goes on.  

Thanks

-Adrian-

28 minutes ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

The following pictures are from when I had to replace a smashed door skin on the passenger side. You can probably figure out the location of the mirror from this and the mirror on the driver side is in the same location. I don't know when the passenger side mirror was mounted, it isn't a factory option. To my understanding the mirrors have been mounted in different locations.

My experience is that you don't mount the mirrors in the same location.  I've got a 63 Electra with the passenger mirror mounted the same as the driver's.  It's all but useless.  You can't adjust it far enough in to see what you want to see, because it hits the vent pillar. In that case, anyway, it needs to be mounted a couple of inches forward.

As for the OP: IIRC, you can't remove the mirror without disconnecting the cables from the knob.  Once everything's back together, the mirror should be held in place by springs.  If the mirror immediately pulls down when you let go of the knob, it sounds like one of the springs is broken or detached.  

I agree that one of your cables is shot.  If the cable is still attached to the mirror, you should be able to maneuver the joy stick and watch it work.  IF I remember correctly, there's a a tab at the front of the inner door behind which the cable should be placed to keep it away from the function of the window.

When I bought my car, the mirror was stuck all the way down and would not adjust at all like it was frozen. I found two problems

that were causing it. First someone had loosened the screw holding the head of the mirror to the base and had twisted the head around

to an angle that it did not belong at. On my 65 mirror, there were notches on the head that showed what position it should be twisted to before

tightening the screw. The second problem was that when I took the screw all the way out of the head to look at the cables where they were routed

in the hollow area of the base, they were all rusted like an emergency brake cable that rusts up. I sprayed WD40 on the cables where they were rusted

and I got them unseized, then reassembled the head of the mirror to the base lining up the notches on the bottom of the base with the base pedestal,

and now everything works like brand new.

• Like 1

In my '65 I had a similar issue with controlling the mirror and the problem was on the actuator/joy stick end.  One of the three wires that attached to the actuator was floating.  I put the cable end where it should be.  Then to make sure it didn't move as much, I put a zip tie to hold the three cable sheaths together.  Works as intended.  I have attached a picture that I took at the time, kind of blurry but may give you the gist of what was done.

Rock On 

gord

Riv Rr View Mirror Actuator 1.jpg

Winston, 

I took your advice and soaked the cables in wd-40 and got them moving again.  When I hooked them back up to the joystick controller they move freely now and the mirror works perfectly.  I will also take Gord's advice with the zip tie when I get everything back together on the car.  

Thanks again guys for your advice.   I'm looking forward to driving this thing again. 

-Adrian-