straight side vs. clincher tires

Guest trap442w30

Guest trap442w30

During the meet, I was saying I needed some tires for the car and someone saw my right front wheel and said it looked like a clincher.  When I got home I started looking at the rims on my car. (I've attached pictures of the 5 rims (which physically look like the same tires on them).  I have not removed the tires to check, but I looked in the Studebaker parts group on what was available for my 1917 Model ED 6cyl, 7 passenger touring.  It turns out there were the following rims available for that car.

#18333 - straight side 34 x 4

#26300 - straight side 34 x 4

#18521 - clincher 875 x 105 mm

#13332 - clincher 34 x 4

My rim pictures - 59 and 62 look similar, 60 and 63 look similar, and 61 looks different than the others.  All the rims are split, some are made with a smooth inside diameter, some have small diameter standoff's near the edge and some have large diameter standoff's near the middle (I'm assuming to make silver rim fit the black wheel better) but it looks like they were made that way, not added later.

Assuming it's not the metric rims, I'd guess I have two clincher, two of one of the straight side styles and one of the other.  They currently all look to have the same Firestone "NON SKID" tread 34 x 4 tires on them, but like I said I haven't taken them off yet.

Do I need to be looking for rims as well as tires?  And if so, which style.  This is all new to me.

IMAG3359s.jpg

IMAG3360s.jpg

IMAG3361s.jpg

IMAG3362s.jpg

IMAG3363s.jpg

The fourth picture down, with the two "beads" showing on the rim, does look like a clincher rim.  The tire would have a matching male bead that fit inside the metal female bead, and thus lock in place.

The other four rims all look like straight side rims, thus tires would have no bead on the inner diameter.

My 1910 Buick Model 16 has three rings per wheel, two that are front/back, removable,and reversible, to fit either a clincher or straight side tire, and one locking ring.

4th pic is uncertain to me. The 1st pic looks like a clincher or "beaded edge" as they are known here. If you deflate the tyre, perhaps you can push it in a bit and see if it has the "beaded edge" or sort of bubble or rod-like projection that locks in the rim?

Guest trap442w30

When I was looking online for tires, I wasn't able to find a 34 x 4 that had the same brand and tread available in both a clincher and a straight side.  These tires are so old and hard, I think I could drive down the road with no air in them.  They have probably been on the car since the early 1950's, but I can try letting the air out to see if I can get a look down the side of the tire.

Guest trap442w30

OK, that was easy enough, they are not clinchers, the 4th picture the rim is rolled over and you can actually see a seam where it rolls from the inside and meets on the outside.  The first picture was a little tougher because it appears to roll from the outside and meets somewhere inside, never actually saw a seam, but it is not hollow inside.  Now for the real question....What is a good affordable tire to run on it?

Good. Just to confirm, here are a couple of cross sections of beaded edge tyres and the clincher rims they fit on.

http://northhantstyres.com/faq-tyres.html

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/beaded-edge-veteran-tyres

You might find this useful to help assess the condition of your rims.

epvcc.co.za/Beaded_Edge_Tyres_In_The_Modern_World_John_E_L_Bramma.pdf

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

34 x 4 is what my 1910 Buick runs, 26 inch rim.  You don't have many choices, and it depends on your definition of "affordable".  Coker, for example, shows two black and one white tire in this size, starting about $250 each.  When you add tubes, flaps, shipping, you'll be in the 1300-1400 dollar range for a set of 4 black tires, if you go with all white tires add another 400-500 dollars. 

If your tires are that hard, you may end up taking the old ones off with a hacksaw!  I've done that before.....

• 6 years later...

Offhand, probably all four. It probably includes export options. If you and your Studebaker are in the US, I would be willing to bet a lot that you have or had straight sided rims. 34x4 is a tough size. Not common.