1907 Buick Instruction Book

TerryB

I found this Buick Instruction book for four cylinder cars at an estate sale a few years ago.  The sellers didn't know much about it and it's ties to the family.  I believe it's original but I would like the Buick folks here to comment on that.  The book's cover has a raised linen like feel, contains 27 pages, and references the models D, S, H and K which are 1907 from what I can find.  The last page indicates it was printed by Acorn Press in Jackson Michigan.  The paper and brown age marks seem to indicate it's about the right age to be original.

Check out the photos and let me know what you think.

Terry

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

I have Buick Reference and Sales material going back to 1906.  Buick used several different printing houses for their publishing efforts.  Evans Winter Hebb of Detroit was a major supplier of printed material for Buick.  The Cargill Press of Grand Rapids was another big contributor to Buick's printing needs.  I do have some Reference Manuals (owner's manuals) from the late teens that were reprinted by Buick in the early 1920's.  This was not an uncommon thing for Buick Motor Company to do at that point in time.  Terry, the book that you have in the photos looks to be pretty old, however, it doesn't look over 100 years old.  I'm guessing that this was a reprint from sometime in the 1930's.  The paper doesn't look right for something that Buick would have had done.  You're pretty good with a camera here - take some photos of the inside lower first few pages and the bottom of the very last printed page.  If this is an original printed piece it will have the printers name and possibly a print date.  It could have a printing code that would indicate how many were printed.  The absence of any or all of this information will be a safe bet that what you have is something that has been reprinted at a much later date.  I have been chasing and collecting Buick literature for going on 45 years and I have learned a little bit along the way.  Let's see those additional photos I described to you.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

At first glance, the book appeared old, I just wasn't 100% sure of exact age.  Additional photos attached.  Wasn't Buick in Jackson MI for a while?  I thought I had read that somewhere.  Anyway, here's more photos and thanks for the additional info.

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

Terry, you are right about Buick being in Jackson, Michigan for a very brief period in the beginning.  I have seen a lot of early Buick material in my time.  I will have to say that I have never heard of Acorn Press and being associated with Buick Motor Company also.  Do you have something here that is extremely rare and almost unheard of? It is certainly possible.  There is one fellow out there in Buick research that might possibly be able to tell you something about what you have, and that would be Kevin Kirbitz.  Try him at - kevin.kirbitz@gm.com  As I stated earlier, something about the paper in this piece just doesn't look like anything Buick would have used at that time.  Kevin is an excellent source for EARLY Buick Motor Company information.  Get in touch with him and see what he can tell you.  You certainly have my curiosity aroused here.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

The Buick Heritage Alliance has a copy of that Instruction Book in their collection here at the AACA Library.  Are your pages as white as they appear in the photos or do they have more of yellowish color?  Is the cover paper somewhat textured?  How about the spine staples - are they showing any sign of rust?

Hello AACA library and others following this thread.

1.  Yes the outer cover is textured, similar to what linen cloth is like.  It has raised bumps and is not smooth.

2.  Yes the staples are rusty and the metal is dark.

3.  The pages are not bright white, that effect is from the LED strip light over my workbench.  The paper is darker in color and has a brownish finish.

4.  The book itself is not stiff, its cover and pages flex quite easily.

I do tend to think it's the real thing and in great condition for its age.   I've seen the reprints for the 20's era Buick and it's nothing like them.  Your comments are greatly appreciated.  

Terry

Terry, I really hope that you can get with Kevin Kirbitz about this piece of early Buick material.  The fact that you have may have something that is pushing 112 years old is going to eliminate almost everyone who will know anything about it.  Like I said earlier, you have peaked my curiosity and I think that all of us Buick enthusiasts would like to know about what you have here.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Kevin got back to me yesterday.  He believes it's an original book from what he sees.  The printing in Jackson MI would be consistent with what was happening with Buick at the time.  Wow!  I'm not ready to sell the book just yet as that did come up in his response.  Thanks to Terry W for the contact with Kevin!

Terry

You might consider contacting one of the reproduction companies to see  if they have an interest in selling reproductions of your original.  It wouldn't hurt the value of your piece of history and could generate some income  as well as make the contents  available to other Buick history  buffs.

Bob Engel

Having it reprinted is a possibility for sure.  I'm still enjoying the fact that I found this at what amounts to a yard sale a few years ago.  This is as close to owning a Buick from that era that I will ever get!

Terry