Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Durant Mike

Brake pad instalation and clutch refacing

6 posts in this topic

Any suggestions on a good company to install my brake pads and resurface my clutch on my 1928 Durant.  A company that has done work on the old car brakes before. I have the lining for the brakes purchased from McMaster Carr.  I started the project, but just don't like the results. I would rather have a professional do the work so I can feel more secure stopping.

Got to be somebody out there that has had someone put brake pads and clutch lining on that thought the job was great and price was fair?

Five times I had my shoes relined by "professionals".  Number three said bonded lining was the only way to go but they only lasted 40,000 miles.  Number four and number five were totally uphill all the way.  The two guys in the shop argues with the factory specs on the two different CoF on primary and secondary shoes and then how can you have leading and secondary when you only have one band in each wheel.  I provided them with the information and then the linings and then the argued about the rivets.  The last time I did it myself.  Far less bother and the last two professionals had died anyway.

1 person likes this

I had my Graham, brakes relined by the people in Richmond VA that do lots of vintage tractor clutches and shoes. They were quite less than other internet sources, and I could drive there to drop off and pick them up!

Automotive Manufactures Inc.

2400 N. Lombardy Street

Richmond, VA  23220

Years ago I had a stack of Corvair 9" clutches relined there and used them for years in my own and customer's vehicles.

YMMV

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give these a call and talk to them.