ASC Tour - LED Brake Light Bar

I attended the SDC and ASC National Meet in South Bend this past weekend (which was a lot of fun).  During the ASC Driving Tour, I had a number of folks inquire about the LED brake light bar I had on my Light Six and I said I would post info about where I got it so here you go.....

I purchased this from:  http://www.brakeflasher.com/brake.htm

It is connected to the mechanical brake switch (pulled on by a wire connected to the brake rod) that I previously installed in the car and turns on the STOP lamp.  That little lamp on the left side is really hard to see, so to avoid getting rear ended, which just happened to me today while driving a 2017 GMC Denali HD Pickup (distracted driver), I added this high mount LED.  It works with 6 or 12 volts and positive or negative ground.  What is really nice is that it can be adjusted to flash, then go steady.  It suction cups to the rear window and has a quick connect plug so is easily removed for shows.  Very bright and the flashing feature really grabs your attention. It is a bit pricey at $68 but the added safety factor is well worth it.  Very simple hook up - one wire to the brake switch and the other to ground.

Scott

20170508_175852.thumb.jpg.07783891dc549ae1a2db4e665b3b8b37.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Scott, I was getting ready to order one of these third brake lights, but noticed they have two versions. One is inside an acrylic tube for about $68 (which sounds like the one you got) and the other is inside an aluminum tube for about $120. Did you consider the costlier one, and if so why did you decide against it? 

(I especially like that these will work on either 12 or 6 volt, positive or negative ground, since I have Studebakers with both voltages.)

Since I was using it inside the car and it is on suction cups I figured I would go as light as possible and, with the plastic housing, if it fell off it was very unlikely to scratch the paint. Now that I've had it for a year, I would go the same route. Excellent investment.

Scott

I added turn signals (cowl lamps from a 1921 Light Six) to my rear bumper and a 1918 aftermarket turn signal switch to my steering column to keep things period correct and stay in harmony with the design of the car. They just flash yellow like other cars. My technique though is to hit my brake pedal shortly after signaling with the turn signal. This gets the LED brake bar flashing which grabs the attention of the texting driver behind me.  Then they notice the turn signals. The flashing feature on the LED brake bar is a real plus.

Turn signal switch

20171031_213411.thumb.jpg.82d3d14ac61fe33750674762801e1533.jpg

Rear light - used amber bulb

20171031_213352.thumb.jpg.a8f820ce776e3790ec9a586636377ae1.jpg

For front signals, I added dual elements to the front parking lamps mounted on the cowl.

As mentioned though, the flashing LED bar is literally the life saver.

• 2 weeks later...

I added rear turn signals and an original accessory stop lamp to my '25 Buick.The turn signals are NOS trailer lights that match the lone tail light perfectly.Also installed tinfoil tart cups for reflectors.I have  toggle switches and light bar mounted under the dash to activate the turn signals. I'm presently looking for a pair of 1925-26-27 Buick cowl lamps to use for front turn signals. The stop lamp lights up green (!) and gets your attention.  The brake light bar is also a great idea.

Jim

1925 Buick turn signals 002.JPG

1925 Buick turn signals 001.JPG

Do we know of any alternative websites to get one of these lights. I ordered one last week and then emailed last night to ask when it would be shipped and this morning I got a refund email from PayPal. Seller stated he was not able to fill the order at this time. 

I wound up ordering from J and L Enterprise for $60 plus shipping.

Edited by kclark
UPDATED (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Besides driving defensively and being very aware of what is happening ahead of us, we vintage car drivers probably pay more attention to what is behind us more than those folks back there pay attention to us. Knowing that, I always tap my brake a couple of times when I see someone tailgating or not paying enough attention. That brake bar usually solves the problem.

Now if I could just get the knuckleheads from pulling in front of me and immediately slamming on their brakes, I would be all set.

Scott

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2017 at 10:01 PM, Stude Light said:

I attended the SDC and ASC National Meet in South Bend this past weekend (which was a lot of fun).  During the ASC Driving Tour, I had a number of folks inquire about the LED brake light bar I had on my Light Six and I said I would post info about where I got it so here you go.....

I purchased this from:  http://www.brakeflasher.com/brake.htm

It is connected to the mechanical brake switch (pulled on by a wire connected to the brake rod) that I previously installed in the car and turns on the STOP lamp.  That little lamp on the left side is really hard to see, so to avoid getting rear ended, which just happened to me today while driving a 2017 GMC Denali HD Pickup (distracted driver), I added this high mount LED.  It works with 6 or 12 volts and positive or negative ground.  What is really nice is that it can be adjusted to flash, then go steady.  It suction cups to the rear window and has a quick connect plug so is easily removed for shows.  Very bright and the flashing feature really grabs your attention. It is a bit pricey at $68 but the added safety factor is well worth it.  Very simple hook up - one wire to the brake switch and the other to ground.

Scott

20170508_175852.thumb.jpg.07783891dc549ae1a2db4e665b3b8b37.jpg

Just ordered one from your link,

Read the other posts above. Apparently sometime after I posted this Top Serve had some supply issues and they refunded people's money. Not sure their current status. Looks like J and L offers a similar product.

Scott

3 hours ago, CatBird said:

Yes, used PayPal. What do you mean if I get it, or cancel the order? Will let you know what happens.

What Stude Light said just above.

Right after Spinneyhill and kclark had their orders cancelled and money refunded, I emailed Top Serve to see if they are still making these. I never got a reply back. Also, they no longer have any up on eBay.

I hope you do get yours, because I want to order one too!  :)

4 hours ago, r1lark said:

What Stude Light said just above.

Right after Spinneyhill and kclark had their orders cancelled and money refunded, I emailed Top Serve to see if they are still making these. I never got a reply back. Also, they no longer have any up on eBay.

I hope you do get yours, because I want to order one too!  :)

Will let you know what happens. 

What I really like about the Top Serve unit is it will flash for an adjustable length of time before lighting steady. I'm wondering if the J and L unit does the same? I think that feature is a real attention grabber for the folks not paying attention behind you.

Scott

• 5 weeks later...