dracenroc

1928 Buick Master Six clutch rattling & tinkling

dracenroc    12

When pressing the clutch of my 1928 Master Six it generates some tinkling noise, as soon as I release the pedal and the clutch engages it stops. I cannot tell if this also happens during shifting when I'm driving (the car is not road worthy at the time). 

Any clues where I should to focus on?

Thanks, Werner

Gary W    413

Maybe the pilot bearing is dry.  Check the throwout bearing as well.  

My '37 made a funny sound everytime I depressed the clutch pedal.  The pilot bearing was dry as a bone.  Cleaned it real good, greased it and reinstalled it.  No noise now.  

dracenroc    12
Posted (edited)

Brian, just to make sure: you mean the teeth inside of the 5 discs of the clutch? Or the five outside, or even in-and outside? Which one are the one with the linings, the one with the inside or outside splines?

Edited by dracenroc (see edit history)

Mark Shaw    423
5 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

The splines/teeth on the clutch discs are worn and they rattle around on the hub when the clutch is disengaged.

Brian,

Your replacement will be on it's way soon...

• Like 1

Brian_Heil    341
5 hours ago, dracenroc said:

Brian, just to make sure: you mean the teeth inside of the 5 discs of the clutch? Or the five outside, or even in-and outside? Which one are the one with the linings, the one with the inside or outside splines?

Not sure, if not both but check them for wear.  My 1923 does this and the teeth are much wider.

26-25Buick    29

A photo of my worn hub. The teeth on the clutch plates that mesh with the hub rather than being a nice U shape were more like V. Eventually it got so worn the clutch plates got stuck in the grooves in the hub and the clutch wouldn't engage and you could no longer change gear.

IMG_0162.JPG

Brian_Heil    341

In the pic above the disc spline teeth have made small grooves in the hub which makes the discs loose on the hub.

dracenroc    12

Uuh...I'm not sure if I really want to open this stuff ;-) Anyway, it will take a while, need to fix something else first.

Thanks you all for the advice! Btw: are this disks/lining and/or hubs available somewhere?