Solution to Limited Rear Vision, Lincoln Continental?

Russ@Kiawah

I just got my first '41 Continental Cabriolet.  Of course anyone who has driven one knows that with the top up, there is almost no rear visibility.  Have any readers had experience identifying a rear camera and dash board screen/iphone connection that would address the problem without altering the car?  Given the current technology it seems like a rational thing to do.  A picture of my new beauty is attached.  Thanks so much for your help! 

2017-04-29 12.10.20.jpg

If you are going to use a backup camera, get one that is hard wired between the camera and the display. I have a wireless system installed on my modern car and the static from the engine makes it very hard to make sense of what is happening. Another advantage of the hard wired system is that the batteries won't go dead, just when you need the system the most.

Another problem is finding a good place to mount the display so you can see it and not make extra holes in the dash. If I buy another, I will check out the ones that replace the rear view mirror.

• Like 1

Hi Russ,  and welcome to the wonderful world of Continentals.  Rear visibility is a rear problem with these beauties and I like your idea about the rear cameras.  One that will help a lot is to unzip the rear window, that greatly increase vision directly to the rear.  There are ways to raise the passenger side mirror but the modifications I have seen,  several cures to that problem, it ruins the looks In my opinion.

There are so many camera options out there, and some even wireless, I would be pretty sure you could fine something out there to meet your needs. You'll probably need an inverter to get 12 volts out of 6, but those are easily available.  A very interesting idea.

im looking for a way to temporary add red leds to my car for better braking and turn signal visibility on the rear.  Something that can easily be attached with magnets, then put in the trunk for shows. That signal Cobra light for braking scares me in this day of distracted driving, cell phones, etc.  Keep us posted one what you find.

Tom

• Like 1

If you don't mind loosing the stock tube type radio, looks like a display would fit nicely where the speaker in the dash currently resides, at least on my 48.  Pioneer and others make radio units with backup cameras that look like they would fit.  You could put a hinge on the stock speaker cover to shade the screen and also hide the screen when not in use.  Of course you'd need speakers in the doors or kick panels.  Then you get FM, bluetooth sterio, and navigation system as well.

Someone should make a hinge mirror mount that sticks up higher for the right side.  In the mean time I think the Ford truck hinge mirrors look OK.  I prefer driving with the top down, lots of visibility then.

Abe

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this a bit, mostly trying to think of a solution that can quickly be removed when I reach my destination/car show.  What I'm currently leaning towards is a combination of a small gopro camera and an old cell phone.  Plenty of auto mounting options for each, and the bluetooth protocol should should be slightly less susceptible to the RF interference from the engine compartment.  But there are a few more issues with my car I need to address before I spend money on extra's so the go pro will need to wait for me. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I think I found a solution for those who do not want to hard wire.  I just picked up a 4UCam portable wi-fi mini camera.  Operates on a rechargeable battery for a claimed 3 hours. Sends a blue tooth signal to my phone or I pad.  Seems to have a strong magnet and is not affected by the engine operation.  It is around $100.  Has a plastic cover for rain.  Wish it had a remote on/off switch.  I have not had it long enough to fully endorse it.  Will report back if the magnet turns out not to be sufficiently strong or the product is not durable.  It provides great visibility  now that my top is up for the Fall. 

• 1 month later...