VIN location 1928 Model 72

I know there must be numbers somewhere on this car.

Is the VIN on the frame? Location? Also is it on the FEDCO plate? Or is this just model info?

Engine number maybe?

It is now wearing a state assigned number which is on the title.

Thanks in advance.

Fedco plate 28 Chrysler.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

From 1926 to 1930, Chrysler used the FEDCO system, which had numbers and letters. The letters were actually numbers, decoded according to the following guide.

W

P

C

H

R

Y

S

L

E

D

Does that mean that the VIN number would be 211721?

Its always interesting to see some of the running changes to these models.  Our March 1928 model 72 coupe has side vents on the cowl, does not appear to be installed on your car.  Is that a Hayes body or a Fisher?  Ours is a Fisher bodied car.  Where in OR are you? 

Sasha39,

This is what I am wondering. If I could find a number like that on the Chassis somewhere, and if I made a deal on the car, would the state of Oregon issue me a title with an original VIN.

Hence I would like to know if and where I may find the correct ID on this car.

It has one of those state issued stickers on it.

The guy that has it had told me about his bonded title being branded  a couple of years ago by the Idaho DMV which has now timed out and was issued a clear and clean title. But with the state ID on it.

The owner of the 28 wants to swap me for one of my cars and I have been thinking about it for quite some time. I don't think I would have any trouble with getting it registered, but it would be more fun if I could get the original numbers on it.

I will ask about the body manufacturer.

The car is in Boise. I am in Newberg.

So can the experts on this car give me an approximate value?

Or does anything horrible jump out at you.

I know that it has aftermarket bumpers but I kind of like those.

Thanks all.

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Sasha39,

This is what I am wondering. If I could find a number like that on the Chassis somewhere, and if I made a deal on the car, would the state of Oregon issue me a title with an original VIN.

Hence I would like to know if and where I may find the correct ID on this car.

It has one of those state issued stickers on it.

The guy that has it had told me about his bonded title being branded  a couple of years ago by the Idaho DMV which has now timed out and was issued a clear and clean title. But with the state ID on it.

The owner of the 28 wants to swap me for one of my cars and I have been thinking about it for quite some time. I don't think I would have any trouble with getting it registered, but it would be more fun if I could get the original numbers on it.

I will ask about the body manufacturer.

The car is in Boise. I am in Newberg.

So can the experts on this car give me an approximate value?

Or does anything horrible jump out at you.

I know that it has aftermarket bumpers but I kind of like those.

Thanks all.

The FedCo plate was the official serial number for the car as tracked by Chrysler and is the closest match to a VIN you will find on your car. For what it is worth, FedCo number CP172P is for a 1927-28 Chrysler model 72 built in Detroit. If I've done the look up correctly, it was the 11721st of 48387 built in the sequence number range.

There may be another number stamped some place on the frame but it may not be the serial/FedCo number. On my '33 Plymouth the engine number is stamped on the outside of the frame on the drivers side between the running board supports. To the best of my knowledge the serial number is not stamped anywhere on my car except for the serial number plate and given Chrysler's unified approach to building things it would surprise me if they handled tracking Plymouth vehicles much differently than Chrysler vehicles. There were changes between when your car was built and mine (they stopped using FedCo numbers around 1930) so I could be totally mistaken but I would not be surprised if the only serial number location was the FedCo plate.

1930 Dodge 8 has a number stamped on the chassis LHS above about the front spring rear "hanger" and again in the rising part just after it disappears under bodywork at the rear. It is lightly stamped so not easy to find once you remove the mudguards (fenders).

Thanks for this info.

If I get the car I would be surprised if anybody at the Oregon DMV would know anything about FEDCO plates.

I have found those Dodge numbers before, usually very hard to see.

I may have better luck using the State Police for the VIN check required by Oregon for out of state vehicles.

Maybe if I print out this thread I would help.

Any ideas of approximate value?

Thanks again.

Our coupe was registered in Idaho as well with the Fedco numbers.  When we transferred it to WA state the state police asked to inspect the car.  Their comment was that with today's body shop talents it "would be easy to swap out that plate or the entire dash panel"  They used the engine number.  At that point I did not want to point out that it is very easy to swap out an engine in one of these old cars.  Hard telling what the OR DMV take on that title would be.  This car was originally found in Coburg OR.

Edited by a sell
Added final sentence. (see edit history)

To the best of my limited knowledge when Chrysler did stamp the frame (not always ) it was only in numbers. 

So in this case  the number stamped on the rear left frame horn would start with 211 --- ie letters converted.