What was here in my F32

jmcap

I'm trying to learn what is missing on my 1932 F Model Sedan.  The dash pulls and switches are all intact except for the last location on the passenger side. A look under the dash shows that it is wired across the dash to the Light switch. I'm thinking it was some sort of Map Light?590bcc298a093_Img_0756(002).jpg.86798fc1c5a505dad333fb4cb67aea3b.jpg

I''m hesitant to think so.  There is no recess within the dashboard therefore the depth required would be outside of the dash. The enclosed pic found on- line shows its appearance. As well there is no ash tray that I know of.

32_olds_f_32_dv_12_sj_i001_0de4632fd5b01b00bae9d3bc5cfd737f8f343f7b.jpg

Thank You Paul,

So it's a Cigar lighter!!!  My chances of finding the parts are pretty slim but one never knows.  Meanwhile, I have retained the hot wired Bezel and have replaced it           ( rightly or wrongly) with a  chromed dash directional light. At any point I can return it to " original ".

p.s.

Hope to see you in Reading, Pa.

Spoke today with Roy in Santa Barbara, Ca.  Roy is 93 years young and has a family run business expressly for classic car accessories.  He has emailed me pics of a few cigar lighters.  I will call back for prices tomorrow.  For those of you interested their site is www.classicaccessories.org. 

There will be some '31/'32 guys at the meet next month. They might be able to help you with locating a correct lighter. Gene Wieder's '32 coupe will be there. And a '31 convertible is registered. And there was a guy thinking about bringing a restored '32 convertible frame.

Paul, Thanks for the update. I've learned that in the 31, 32 years there were two designs for the lighter. One, that we all are aware of where, the female receiver well is within the dash. And another that was a flush mount unit whereby the female receiver is outside of the dash. Mine is a flush mount. Roy sent me these photos. He's asking $195. I know they're hard to come by, but  I personally think it's a bit to rough too fetch that much.I'll see what happens

Img_3561.thumb.jpg.6ab6c6576b7497a6ba7a30b8bffa9289.jpgImg_3560.thumb.jpg.9072586b303c7560732acad0130bd104.jpgImg_3559.jpg.0d49b5ce8436bd80a7d4cc90a0ddcb79.jpgImg_3562.thumb.jpg.89dc03e5c390e6367a0cef6c8ed6f321.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I too am looking for the same lighter. I have a complete one that works but it's not the correct Oldsmobile one. I am think about trying to turn the correct black knob on my lathe and fastening it to the metal lighter body. I have made many parts already for my car like a free wheeling lever and golf bag door lock with dust cover. Here is a picture of the lever I made a wood pattern for, had cast, then machined . Still have to cut the pinch slot and keyway.

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, jmcap said:

I know they're hard to come by, but  I personally think it's a bit to rough too fetch that much

If it is correct to your year, it would easily be worth it and even more,  to some owners of your car model.  That is called a cat's eye as you likely know.  Many were snagged by kids or replaced with a aftermarket way back when.  Some GM sedans had one on top of the front seat back for rear seat passengers, so those lucky fellers get to look for TWO  :) 

I need the whole thing incl the socket in dash for a 34 LaS, and a 35 parts car was included, has one in it, but stuck good (rusty).   I think it probably is different as 34 is Fleetwood and 35 is Fisher :( 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 8:51 PM, jmcap said:

I'm trying to learn what is missing on my 1932 F Model Sedan.  The dash pulls and switches are all intact except for the last location on the passenger side. A look under the dash shows that it is wired across the dash to the Light switch. I'm thinking it was some sort of Map Light?590bcc298a093_Img_0756(002).jpg.86798fc1c5a505dad333fb4cb67aea3b.jpg

Must be. The body is very wide.

See here:

9519589512_646f260c0c.jpg