32 plymouth

broker-len

this is a model PA     motor rebuilt    new pistons and valves   adjusted valves when I got it home  head checked for being true  new head gasket    running a carter BB1 updraft carb  I just rebuilt      I believe it is timed correct     compression is   60 in all holes  wires are old but see no signs of arching--cap shows no arcking---put a vacuum gage on wiper port and it is pulsing        if I clean  the plugs they get dark right away        when driving it    can't get out of second  no power   point are gaped correctly                 what do you think-------bobnroman@yahoo.com

Is the carburetor throat icing up? You can feel the cold around the base (top for updraft!) of the carb. My Dodge 8 does just this. If I run it for 5 minutes and shut down for 5 minutes then start up and drive off, no trouble. Otherwise, no power, fast idle and not much more until the manifolds warm up, then off we go.

How did you time it?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

3 hours ago, broker-len said:

this is a model PA     motor rebuilt    new pistons and valves   adjusted valves when I got it home  head checked for being true  new head gasket    running a carter BB1 updraft carb  I just rebuilt      I believe it is timed correct     compression is   60 in all holes  wires are old but see no signs of arching--cap shows no arcking---put a vacuum gage on wiper port and it is pulsing        if I clean  the plugs they get dark right away        when driving it    can't get out of second  no power   point are gaped correctly                 what do you think-------bobnroman@yahoo.com

Dark plugs would indicate an over rich mixture, hence carb issues, which could be faulty choke, stuck float, etc. 

I wonder if you are the PA or PB long time owner who ran the car just fine for years with the distributor vacuum can broken?  and then found a good one and then had problems sorting it out?

Just now, broker-len said:

maybe bad neidle and seat ?????

If it is updraft carb, it will drip a lot right after shutdown. 

If down draft, look in the throat ASAP after shut down, and it would show a dripping for a moment, or show wet gas at throttle shaft.

7 hours ago, broker-len said:

I thought is was rich-------this is the carb with the adjustment under the bowl       I run it fast idle  then turn it in until it slows then back  out-------maybe bad neidle and seat ?????

Not sure which carb you are talking about; if it idles ok and runs smooth enough at low revs then its probably not an idle mixture problem. From what I understand you are bogging down at higher revs ? going into second ? if so this would indicate a main metering jet problem. 

So, I suggest you have a fiddle with the lower adjustment and see if this improves things, if not then you may have needle and seat problems or perhaps a float setting issue; it would help if there was a little more background info, such as when this first started, you say the carb was rebuilt - has this fault occurred immediately after it was rebuilt?

As to the distributor being t fault, certainly could be the cause of not wanting to accelerate, but it wont give you black sooty plugs, that's a carb issue - perhaps you have more than one problem??

I would start with the carb first off.