Receiving cars from Canada, what's involved

MrEarl

Lamar,

I think you should be able to find, in a search, some prior communication on this, but as I understand as long as the car was built in US originally, it is imported duty free.  But be careful you have nothing hidden inside.  Who knows what regulations might be in force.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Like the title said, what all would be involved in purchasing  and bringing a 20's Buick from across the border.?  Inspections, duties, fees, how long to get through, potential problems, hold ups? 

Man you're thinking! Go for it. Free storage in SB plus plenty of room at the Gholson Inn for you and Rita! 

• Like 3

I suspect that TITLE issues will come into play!  All of THAT stuff needs to be fully in order FIRST.  In addition to the federal regulatory issues (noted above), there can also be STATE of registration issues, too!  And that's before any taxes and such are considered into the federal and state mix.

In some cases, a "bonded title" is required, which has its own time and expense issues.  Even a state-to-state purchase can have some of these issues!

NTX5467

Hey it is very easy. I have brought back 4 Buick's from Canada. Most recently 3 months ago. A 1936 and a1935. Drove one back and trailered the other one.It is very easy and CHEAP if you do it yourself.

Every time, I drove to the cars location, made the deal. Then load the car ( Most of the time I had it on an open trailer. I have the seller give me his current registration and a hand written - or typed bill of sale. Then drive to the border crossing. When the not so friendly border guard starts asking questions. I tell him I am importing a car and want to have it inspected. After I park where I am told, go inside and wait in line, they review the paperwork and have you sit down. After a 30 minute wait they call me back and ask more silly questions, then give me an import paper that is stamped and official. And after I drive home I go the the state license agency with the three pieces of paper work and they issue a state tilte. Note Canada cars don't have titles, but your state will issue on. Old cars don't have safety items or emission items to inspect, so as long as the serial number matches, cant be any easier.

Two years ago a bought my 1937 Packard convertible sedan that had no tile because the last owner bought from Canada and did not get the proper papers filled out. I trailed it to a customs office in Seattle and told them what happened, showed them the 1/2 filled out papers and car. The agent keep asking my who makes Packard and thought it was a cool car. Then we went back inside and he said this is easy, grabbed a new form, filled it out, stamped and signed it. 15 minutes later I was driving to get my stat title issued. I live in the Seattle area and the border is close to me, as well as the cars I wanted to buy. I think this easy process can get to be very expensive and a pain if you pay an agent to do it.

If some one thinks its hard and is passing on a great old car, tell me were it is and I will go get it.

Just kidding. Oh and there is no fee and charge for the inspection.

Steve Fisher

• Like 6

I concur.  I am Canadian and have sold cars to Americans.  Get the forms ahead of time from the Gov. website and show up at the border with the vehicle and paperwork. I plan to sell a car built in Flint in the near future and am sure it will end up Stateside.  Around here a person can hardly find a used pickup truck as they are practically all exported to the US because the Canadian dollar is valued so very low.  Everything is on sale today, 30% off.

Regards, Gary

• Like 4

This is good info guys, thanks!  I'm planning on moving one of my cars shortly and it will likely find it's way to the US.  I plan on assisting the buyer by driving it to the border (but not across), so this is perfect info to give to a perspective buyer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 6:47 AM, cxgvd said:

Around here a person can hardly find a used pickup truck as they are practically all exported to the US because the Canadian dollar is valued so very low.  Everything is on sale today, 30% off.

Yeah, tell me aboot it!  Last year when I was pcup shopping here in the midwest, several of the trucks were from Canada including one that I'm guessing had a 'washed' title.  Looked at on the dealer/ seller swore had a clean Carfax but was missing the fog lights ('it came that way from the factory - ready to install them if you want'), brand new bed, watermarks on the headliner, mud caked in the rusty frame.  This was a 2 year old truck.  Also had a musty smell despite the interior being recently cleaned.  :rolleyes:  Needless to say, passed on that one.