1956 Buick Super *price update again*

Wooly15

I think it's time to let the old girl go. I've had my fun, now it's time for someone else to care for her. More details in the ad. $8000 or trade for a jeep CJ or wagoneer.

*update* After doing more research, It looks like I may have this priced a little high. I will do 8k for board members only.  I'm not going to lower the Craigslist ad. I figured she'd be in good hands with someone here.

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/6108320409.html

20170428_105851.jpg

20170428_105751.jpg

20170428_110002.jpg

20170428_105912.jpg

20170428_105912.jpg

Edited by Wooly15
Price update (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ah, man, say it ain't so! She's such a beauty! I'm really surprised you are selling her. You've been so good to her and gotten her in such good shape and looking so good. Had to be a tough decision. If it must be though, Good luck with the sell and finding her a good new home. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

If you are looking at Wagoneers, check out some 2WD Tahoes and Yukons, the prices are pretty good and you might feel a little deja vu. Don't say no until you tried one.

Bernie

This would be for my wife. She loves the styling, so it's a wagoneer or bust. Thanks for the tip though.

My wife loved the styling of the '66 Thunderbird, so, against my good judgement I bought her one. After that experience she said "Just buy me whatever you think is good." She likes her Tahoe a lot and I'm thinking of replacing my Silverado with one.

Ummmmm, I think I'd buy a T-Bird before going out to look at a Wagoneer.

Of course, catering to her did have a humbling affect in the end. It may have helped in other areas.

Bernie

Tell her the car was built by a company named American Motors and the American govermint let it fail. Then gave out money to save the other car companies that sell Korean and Japanese stuff.

They are so bad their namesake had to forsake them.

Then give you deer in the headlights look. You do practice that in the bathroom mirror every morning, don't you.

I like your Super.

• Like 1

That is a very nice '56 Buick Super at a very fair price.  I suggest putting an ad with a picture in Hemmings Motor News.  It takes a while to appear in the magazine but it will immediately go on their internet site at no extra charge.  You can also put numerous pictures of the car on the internet site.  I have had very good results from advertising in Hemmings and you will reach a lot of serious buyers. 

Edited by michel88 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, michel88 said:

That is a very nice '56 Buick Super at a very fair price.  I suggest putting an ad with a picture in Hemmings Motor News.  It takes a while to appear in the magazine but it will immediately go on their internet site at no extra charge.  You can also put numerous pictures of the car on the internet site.  I have had very good results from advertising in Hemmings and you will reach a lot of serious buyers. 

I am going to give it to the end of the weekend and then maybe go that route. I live on a busy road, so I may put it in the yard too.

love your car!!! love the color!!! so classic.... but, you will have a hard time to sell her......people don't appreciated the beautiful lines of this car. I tried to sell my (took it to car show's, swap meet,etc)(my was not as beautiful as yours) nothing!!! so I decided to keep it and restorer....wish I could buy yours!!! I hope you find a nice home for her.... $7.000 its a great price, Daniel

I went by and looked at the car.  He told me his bottom price was $6500, but I told him then and there it needed to go to somebody younger than me.  With a little work, it could be a very nice car and he's already done a lot of work....beautiful set of new radial tires on the car.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I went by and looked at the car.  He told me his bottom price was $6500, but I told him then and there it needed to go to somebody younger than me.  With a little work, it could be a very nice car and he's already done a lot of work....beautiful set of new radial tires on the car.

Just wanted to point out, it wasn't Dynaflash who I was referring to about abusing the car. It was another gentleman that passed by afterwards.  He was more concerned about drag racing and doing burnouts than caring for it. I told him this is not the car for that. I have put too much time into it to see it trashed. 

• Like 6

On 5/23/2017 at 8:15 AM, Wooly15 said:

...another gentleman [sic]...was more concerned about drag racing and doing burnouts than caring for it. I told him this is not the car for that. I have put too much time into it to see it trashed. 

Wooly, I've often thought of putting the equivalent of

"deed restrictions" on a car to be sold:

(1)  That the car not be modified from factory stock;

(2)  That the car not be resold within a specified time period.

Well written, these would be an enforceable legal contract, and

would help to ensure that a car really DOES get a good home.

No honest hobbyist should object to them, as he wouldn't

be reselling it or modifying it anyway.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2017 at 8:15 AM, Wooly15 said:

Just wanted to point out, it wasn't Dynaflash who I was referring to about abusing the car. It was another gentleman that passed by afterwards.  He was more concerned about drag racing and doing burnouts than caring for it. I told him this is not the car for that. I have put too much time into it to see it trashed. 

I understand completely. Both Buicks I purchased, each previous owner hoped both would stay the way they were when each left their barn.  The one fella who I purchased the 60 Electra from said he was hoping and praying I would purchase the 60 Electra because it would not be hot rodded.

I feel the same way with mine.  If sold...leave them alone and enjoy.      

That's why I was really hoping someone from here would buy her. I feel like most of you guys would care for it and not let it go. I'd would even consider lower than asking now if one of you guys bought it. 

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Wooly, I've often thought of putting the equivalent of

"deed restrictions" on a car to be sold:

(1)  That the car not be modified from factory stock;

(2)  That the car not be resold within a specified time period.

Well written, these would be an enforceable legal contract, and

would help to ensure that a car really DOES get a good home.

No honest hobbyist should object to them, as he wouldn't

be reselling it or modifying it anyway.

Hmmmm...thinking about it one can get a "feel" for a prospective buyer.  Ask the right questions.  Age of the purchaser?  First classic?  Know all of this before price is stated.  Perhaps it is best to put a higher purchase price to weed out the bunch that just want to rag on it?      

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wooly15 said:

That's why I was really hoping someone from here would buy her. I feel like most of you guys would care for it and not let it go. I'd would even consider lower than asking now if one of you guys bought it. 

Exact reason I posted the 60 Electra that belong to a man in Altoona.  Could not see it go to parts, drag races or donk. There were over 500 views of the post here on the forum. No takers. I eventually started talking to the gentleman via email.  At that point he hoped I would buy it.  I was the right guy at the right time.

You will find your right guy at the right time.  Just may take some time.  

You have your boundaries with the sale of your Buick.  Stick to them!     

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Perhaps it is best to put a higher purchase price to weed out the bunch that just want to rag on it?      

That theory led me to not even look at a car that I found out later sold for much less than stated price.  Had asking price been closer to what he really wanted, I almost certainly would have bought the car.  Instead, it took 2 years to sell and it went to another continent when it would have stayed within 50 miles of it's original sale and been sold quicker.  That car would have been a keeper.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lancemb said:

That theory led me to not even look at a car that I found out later sold for much less than stated price.  Had asking price been closer to what he really wanted, I almost certainly would have bought the car.  Instead, it took 2 years to sell and it went to another continent when it would have stayed within 50 miles of it's original sale and been sold quicker.  That car would have been a keeper.

Not really a theory but human nature. We all know we go for a lower selling price then what was asked.  It never hurts to look, ask questions and make an offer.  The worst the owner can say is no.  Normally cars are advertised at $XXXX or best offer.  Who knows if your offer is the best or not.  Everyone has their limit. It may be the worst offer of the bunch but the seller believes you are the correct person to sell the car too.  Deal is done.        Once and only once did I pay the asking price.  That was for my 54.  The 60 Electra I purchased was advertised for $12k.   I'm sure that price pushed some buyers away.  Were these  buyers truly interested?  We can only guess.  The seller was looking for the right person to sell the 60 too.  Much like Wooly here.    Doing my diligence in researching and getting a real interest in buying the Buick I settled on my final price and not go higher.   The seller, after talking in person and looking over the car said he asked for $12k but really wanted $10k.  We settled at $9500.00.  Drove it home.    For the seller, I was the right person at the right time.  Seller was thrilled to see it go to me even at $500 less the $10k he wanted.  

The right person at the right time will be along for Wooly's Buick. :)  

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)