Remy Once More

It has been suggested that I try posting again my need for magneto help. My 1909 Regal stopped working in 2015 while on a tour (that Joyce and I hosted no less). The trouble proved to be the original 1909 Remy L magneto. I can't get anyone to work on it even though it is an early Remy made of steel, bronze and aluminum. No potmetal on this one. Standard Magneto in Chicago said they could fix it but for nine months they decided that they could make more money on other magnetos and just let it sit. I have it back again and the problem remains, the Regal won't run without a magneto and I want the original working again (although I am looking for another replacement magneto). I know nothing of magnetos so for the Model T gentlemen in Illinois who tells me to do it myself, that advice is of no help. So, once more, is there anyone out there who will fix this magneto and make it work reliably? Please let me know if you can. Thank you.

IMG_4438.JPG

Hello Mike. Thank you for your reply but I already contacted them and they said, when I mentioned it was a Remy, no not a Remy. However I may go with having a Bosch DU-4 built up and I'll probably use them.

The DU-4 is a great little magneto, it's a high tension mag, I believe the Remy is low tension, correct?  The difference is, I believe, that the DU-4 high tension is a "stand alone" unit, while the Remy low tension needs coil or coils.  So, it's a slightly different ignition set-up.

Also, the DU-4 is made in a few different variants, one is a fixed timing, one has adjustable timing, another has an "impulse" which make it easier to start larger engines on the magneto.

I'm not an expert on these things, I'm running a DU-4 on a 1910 Hupmobile, very reliable but keep it oiled, it can lock up.....and I have a Remy system on a 1910 Buick but it's not rebuilt yet (the mag) so not sure what I'm going to do with that....

One earlier post on rebuilding Remy magnetos mentioned finding someone who works on vintage tractors, as they were used quite often on them... good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you both for your replies. Trimacar, I am having a DU-4 built up for me (with the impulse coupling as the Regal is a crank start) so I will swap out the Remy for the Bosch. I'll have to find a restorer to make the adaptor to couple it to the drive and someone to time it for me. All this will take time so I doubt the Regal will be on the road this year. What was interesting is that it seems a lot of brass car owns are going for a Bosch as the people to do the windings are six weeks behind. Once the Regal is running again, and most likely over the winter, I think I'll take apart a duplicate Remy L mag I have (in poor shape) and see what makes the Remy tick. Perhaps, in the end, I can fix the original Regal myself.

The impulse coupling isn't needed on lower horsepower (that is, easier to crank over) cars.  Where it's needed is on the larger engines, the one's that are harder to get a good rotation on with the crank.

The Hupmobile is fixed timing, and starts easily with a non-impulse DU-4.  But, then again, it's just a 20 HP engine that's very easy to crank.....

There was a Model T swap meet in Luray Virginia last week, my buddy (who also needs a Remy system) asked the magneto expert there if he'd rebuild a Remy magneto, and the answer was no....so it's a different animal....

Hello Trimacar, Happy Memorial Day weekend! I decided to put the impulse coupling on so that, as I get older, I can still crank it. It is a 30hp, not too hard to crank now but time does go by.

I have not been able to get an answer from any of the magneto 'experts' out there as to why they will not touch a Remy. I would love to have one of them explain it to me rather that just saying, and in one case shouting, 'No!' Seems like if it was made once it can be remade. I am guessing that from what Standard Magneto in Illinois told me after 9 months of having the Remy in their shop is that they can do two or three Bosch and other magnetos in the time it would take to fix the Remy and make more money and that they are in business to make money. This even though they promised me that they knew how to fix it and would I would have been happy to pay extra for their time. The golden rule in business to me (and taught to me by my father) is say you will do and then do what you said. Not happening in most of the magneto world. As you can tell, this experience with Standard Magneto left a rather bitter taste in my mouth. I would not recommend them.

Anyway, I hope the Bosch will solve this problem and get me happily on the road again.Tom