Thingamajig

Guest Kimberbach

Guest Kimberbach

To whom it may concern, 

After painstakingly creating an account and trying to answer the security question of who made Thunderbird and model t, I am beseeching you all to help me identify the picture attached. I came across this thing, and can only find that it may belong to a car? Model T, I guess? Shall I return it to the barn? ? Your quiet smirks are understood. Thanks!

Kimberly

IMG_20170428_214408522_HDR.jpg

No smirks , Kimberly ! You are quite correct. This is what served as an automotive temperature gauge before most cars had an internal one. Mostly used in the 'teens and '20s. They could be purchased aftermarket or from the dealer who might have his dealership inscribed on them , and/or have the medallion of the car make on the glass. Here you see an unrestored 1927 Cadillac , the grand old car out flexing its ancient muscles. If you click into hi-res and zoom into the Motometer , you can see the difference between a cool drive down the California coast , and a desert drive with temps in the 90s. These V8 Cadillacs were very well engineered , and were known to have effective cooling systems , as you can see. Does yours still work ? Is the red liquid still in the thermometer ? Nobody around here smirks at anyone's questions. We all asked our first automotive question at one point. Yours is a good one with a good clear picture. Welcome ! Hang out with us if you like !   - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

More Motometers. Kimberly , it occurs to me that since Motometers were used by so many different cars in addition to Model T , that you might enjoy more exposure under "General Interest". Would you like this transferred ?   - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Guest Kimberbach

Carl, you are a gem of the first water. No need to forward it to a different room. The information you provided was enough for me. I recently found myself surrounded by a sea of antiques and farm implements. Luckily, I love fact finding missions. Just not cars. Tried to find the button to open the gas hatch on an old Jeep. Looked in the darn thing for 45 minutes! Silly me, you open it yourself! I will stick to cows, chickens and auction junk boxes! Will return I'm sure with more gadgets! Thanks again.?

You're very welcome , Kimberly. My pleasure. I had a good laugh with you about the fuel door ! I have had to consult the owners manual for a rental car. I'm old , and have too many vehicles. I have had the embarrassment of fumbling at the gas station , bewildered in a car I haven't driven in too long a time ! The old Cadillacs are straightforward . Hope to see you here again ,  - Carl

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, Kimberbach said:

Shall I return it to the barn? ?

No, ....YOU should return to the barn....to show us anything else that might be an old treasure.

Nice find on the Motometer.  Check on tops of the big old wooden beams in that barn, anyplace that they might have stored another small part.