The worst ebay one yet.....

Black River

Thanks for the warning Black River! If I had accidentally clicked on that unexpectedly my heart might have gone into defib. 

I have no comments on this one as it speaks for itself quite nicely. OK just one comment.....is that a dash pad or did somebody

leave a K mart air mattress laying on top of the dashboard?   

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Someone made a poo-poo all over that car. That's the kind of crap you do to a 74 comet 4 door beater that you hate. Upside is other than the tail lights, it looks fairly easy to undo. I'll bet $10 that the original tail light holes and door handle holes are just bondo'd over.

If it had faded factory paint, ripped original upholstery, and a cracked dash pad, it wouldn't be any more work to fix it up.  Remember, the key to a project car isn't what you start with, it's what it will take to get it to where you want it to be.

ok ok, maybe we are being a bit harsh, hehe...

Some say there is a steering wheel for every person. For this one they would probably be wearing some cheetah print clothing or maybe zebra?, perhaps this would play strong with the new-age-punk-goth-undead-greasers??? The shrunken goblin skull shifter cap gets bonus points right?

The air cleaner is an interesting choice. It works with the aluminum covers. I can respect the satin. Looks like it has some fat tires for hot rod racing and burnouts. You all like the "voo-doo head on the  trunk lid"...right???

I mean, it is a Riviera. So still cooler than most other forms.

Shrunken Nailhead Riviera!

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 10.29.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 10.29.51 PM.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

I agree with Konga -- most of the adulteration can be undone and would have been required anyway.  The key things are: (1) what's under all of that paint & Bondo and (2) don't pay a nickel extra for the current 'customization'...

3500 bucks and ten sheets of 320. Looks like a great deal now. I could see bumping it a couple grand if I didn't have one already.

I always get a laugh out of the iron cross boys, whether cars or bikes.

Beach+Party+-+Lembeck.PNG

They are getting older now, makes them look more ridiculous. I have lunch in a China buffet on Tuesdays. One came in a couple weeks ago, old man, 65-70, big iron cross T shirt, shaved head, tattoos, truck driver wallet with chain, baggy long shorts showing support hose. He was studying the "No MSG" sign.  Probably collecting good old American Social Security and on Medicade.

Yep, my first thought was "Bad Ass". I wonder if those guys know Riviera is a French word.

Back to the car, you'd think he could have painted the rear brake drums.

You think the seat material might have come from Walmart?

2zibq0j.jpg

Bernie

OK Riviera People: I've seen much worse.  From a stock perspective the only extremely cumbersome thing to reverse is the taillights and back body panel, otherwise it's not  that far from being brought back to stock.

Now, as far as the judgement goes....y'all need to back off the throttle a leetle.   Mitch

Wow you guys! My feelings are so hurt right now! I feel as though Ive been attached by a pack of wild animals!  That is MY car you're laughing at!  Ive poured blood, sweat, & tears into that car for years. She may not be you're cup of tea, but she's the love of my life. Creating my vision is the only thing that has kept me alive through years of debilitating sickness. In fact, I'm hoping that Natasha will now literally save my life. I'm being forced to sell her to pay for multiple organ transplants that will keep me alive for who knows how long. And now I have to suffer the embarrassment of being publicly humiliated by people I thought were my friends! Well, this may just be the last time you here from me!  

49 minutes ago, RIVNIK said:

naw I'm just funnin wit cha

Was curious what one would need multiple organ transplants at the same time for. 

But on the topic of transplants many here would transplant a lot of the custom work done here, but what is 1 thing you would all keep? If you had to. 

Also how do you all feel about a dealer selling on consignment(probably) instead of the owner? 

Edited by offdensen (see edit history)

12 hours ago, offdensen said:

Was curious what one would need multiple organ transplants at the same time for. 

But on the topic of transplants many here would transplant a lot of the custom work done here, but what is 1 thing you would all keep? If you had to. 

Also how do you all feel about a dealer selling on consignment(probably) instead of the owner? 

Well, it still has a Nailhead and not a small block Chevy (which is what I was expecting), so there's that......

• Like 1

I really like the orange, and as I recall, the flames were pretty nice. I also like the stance. It was an awesome looking color when I saw it in person a few years back. The auction says it's faded now, which is a shame... kinda. A friend of mine summed it up pretty well, I think. He said it looked like the builder couldn't pick a theme. It's like random design elements thrown at it 'because he could,' not because they looked good together. The car actually looked pretty well done. Kind of a case of more skill than taste. I've got a daughter that loves leopard prints, so she'd dig the interior. I've got photos somewhere; let me see if I can dig them up.

Oh... and shaved handles with no poppers would drive me nuts. First thing I would do is order a keyless door popper kit. Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

Johnny Weismuller, Olympic Gold medalist, starred in at least 5 Tarzan movies made next to my town at Silver Springs.

Rest in Peace.

Silver Springs and their glass bottom boats are a cool venue to witness during our SE ROA meet this month. ;)

IMHO, that one's worse than most. Not because of what's been done to it, but because of what it is (base, low-optioned) and how much work would be required to undo the "improvements" (e.g. you'd have to strip and paint almost everything under the hood).

I think these modified cars are pretty good deals when you can buy a running reliable first generation Riviera for under $10,000, as long as the original drive train is in tact. It is a lot better than an original sitting somewhere deteriorating.

My first comment on 10 sheets of 320 is probably more accurate than a complete body stripping. And I look at my purchases in how many decades I will keep them. A solid good running car doesn't need all the work done at once.

Individuality does usually come at a cost. Counter culture taste is a hard sell to a buyer with a set of standards not of that culture.

For years I have looked at jacked up, over tired, 4WD trucks, well maintained and cherished going at low prices because they have been made nearly useless. I think "Take out the lift kit and put the right wheels back on and that would be a great deal."

I have bought two cars with dark window tint because the other wanted to be a gangsta'. They seemed upset when they saw the car without it and both told me how much it cost. I guess I'm not the gangsta type. Hell, I went to an Ostara celebration dressed like Archie Bunker.

Don't discount those cars. I think there are some good deals in them.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Honestly, my car was one of these ebay derelicts when I got it.....I'm sure most of you have seen pics of the interior and engine compartment, along with the wheel falling off because of the balljoint situation it had.  The new exhaust was falling off, the steering and suspension were all shot, the brakes were gone, the whole car was loosely bolted together, etc.  The paint was just done, but I had to cut and buff it myself.  I've undone and redone so much of the car because it was unsafe to drive, it was literally a death trap waiting to burst into flames.  But underneath, it is a good car, and I'm coming to the end of the long road of fixing the previous owner's sins.  I got it for $7400 with a mostly new interior and new paint, and the engine turned out to be fresh.  I've got a few thousand more into it now because I do all my own work, but it's now something that I'd take to any car show and be fairly certain I could take home a trophy.  I think if I didn't know how to do just about everything, a guy would have paid another $20k to get all the wrong things righted, so take that for what it's worth.  It was a cheap way for me to get into a Riv, but if someone else was to pay to get it done, it'd be cheaper to start with a good, clean, proper car in the first place.

Here it is the day it showed up on the truck from Rhode Island after I got it off ebay.  Front wheel drive rims, strapped down against the bumpstops, running on 7 cylinders, exhaust not hooked up on one bank, steering by the devil himself, etc......just waiting for someone to love it.

delivered.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Don't discount those cars. I think there are some good deals in them.

Believe me, if this were a '65, gears would be turning. 

I was wrong on having photos of the car.  I've got about a dozen, but it's always in the background of this Toro.  I didn't remember the Voodoo on the rear deck lid, but I can see it was there in back in 2013. 

IMG_5599.thumb.JPG.696b80fd4b9c8e7c363d34c2cc307ff7.JPG

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Individuality does usually come at a cost. Counter culture taste is a hard sell to a buyer with a set of standards not of that culture

That's just it.  The seller (particularly if he's the one responsible for the mods) thinks that the flames, pinstripes, big wheels, lowered springs, underhood chrome, etc. add to the value.  A lot of other folks see those as things that would need to be fixed, and deduct those anticipated expenses from the price of the car.  That can lead to a pretty big disparity between the bid and the ask, especially if the seller is emotionally (or financially) invested.

Having said that, one shouldn't be put off by a car just because it's not currently to your taste.  It costs the same to strip custom paint as faded factory paint; replacing a bent stock wheel is the same cost as replacing a gaudy chrome wheel.

• Like 1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just think, we may have a budding George Barriss here.

After all he would have had to start somewhere.

And not everyone appreciated his work at the time!

Just my two bobs worth.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kreed said:

I don't hate it. Good flames, nicely shaped licks and clean paint. Copper flames on black looks good. Body looks straight. The "custom interior" needs a lot of reworking, and the neon orange engine compartment is just hateful. I'm guessing chrome was out of the budget. But with some nice wheels, and some chrome it would look amazing.