Failure to start

gr8scott

My 72 month battery is nearing 82 months of service. My  '89 couple is used infrequently, and has but 70K miles on the odo. The last time I drove it was a week ago, and as usual, had no issues.  No light or accessories were left on, but this morning when I turned the key, all I got was a VERY weak attempt at a moan, with no cranking at all. I'm not a mechanically inclined person to start with and being disabled, crawling around in the engine compartment is very difficult to say the least, but I did a cursory visual check for obvious signs of problems.  The battery is not swollen, the connections are clean, the belt is tight. Not enough power to do a diagnostic check, so using my AC battery charger I gave it a quick boost, that started it. I then tried to run a diagnostic check, but ran into issues there. Below are pictures  (in sequence) of the feedback.

1. The "Vehicle" indicator was highlighted

2.Checking vehicle status, it indicated that the computer status was OK, but the door stayed blank or blinked. (That passenger door ajar comes on every time, and because the door is shut securely, I just tap the "Return" button to turn off the warning. But here it was non-responsive.

3. Opening the Computer Communications dialog, I got what you see in the third illustration.... and this is a first. Unable to proceed from there, I exited the diagnostic mode.

4. After the jump start I took a twenty minute ride during which I took several readings of the gages at traffic stops. Oil pressure varied between 45 and 52 PSI, Voltage between 13.4  and 13.7.

I'm letting it sit overnight and see whether it starts tomorrow. I have two theories, but being how my mechanical aptitude is only approaching but is not entirely on par with my expertise in brain surgery, either or both may be way off the mark.

A. The battery had run its course and doesn't hold charge.

B. The alternator is shot and not recharging the battery.

I'll await your learned feedback before attempting to do anything else.

Thanks in advance.

x1.JPG

x2.JPG

x3.JPG

x4.JPG

Have ALL of the main grounds been cleaned?     http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/62-electrical-system/other-electrical/224-ground-terminals-junction-box-location

Our cars rely heavily on a decent battery. "Low" voltage or a "weak" battery will cause problems. A fresh battery is recommended. An alternator will never "charge" a battery, it's only meant to replace what the starter cranking uses- like the head of a beer. It will slowly replenish a battery- but attempting to "charge" a dead battery with an alternator will kill it.

Overnight the battery drained(?) only 0.04 Volts, and cranked normally. It took me about three hours, but I located all the ground terminals shown on the illustration, and found them clean and dry. Nonetheless, I brushed those I could reach (some are in knuckle busting locations) and applied a puff of electronic connection cleaner on them before tightening them back up. The only one I found questionable was the inside threads on the battery's ground connector, a light powdery green residue, which came  clean with a brush. Again, I applied the connection cleaner, and tightened it back up. After restart and a brief ten minute run, the voltage readings remained essentially unchanged. I suppose it's time for a battery change. Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr8scott said:

I suppose it's time for a battery change

Yes, and charge the new battery overnight on low, to really "top it off". I would also seriously think about a new alternator too. Constantly stressing the diodes really wears down it's strength, and can actually drain your new battery when they FUBAR.

Best buy here

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)

gr8scott- here is some more information for you, and anyone else that has questions on their charging systems:

ARTICLE       VIDEO

The article does contain some arguable conjecture on the Writer's part, and these are discussed in their Forum- but the main premise is still sound. The video, however- is excellent advice and describes tests you can perform, to determine what to do- before unnecessarily spending money on, and time changing- otherwise perfectly good parts.

Good luck:)