Is it a sacrilege

Wheelmang

28 minutes ago, Ron Lawson said:

There were 2 horns for 26 models 12 volt for the single unit starter generator and 6 volt for the separate starter generator later 26 DBs

Mine is the 6V and I am finding it difficult to find one with out taking out a second mortgage on the house. 

Wheelmang , this is an easy one : LADIES CHOICE ! The real crowd pleasers on my '24 Cadillac include the hickory spoked wheels , the vacuum extend/retract turn signals , a hand crank start , and the ahooga horn. Ladies whom I have had the pleasure to take cruising , seem to be inordinately amused by the sounds of the horn. My original Klaxon can be modulated to a remarkable degree with subtle manipulation of the horn button. It ranges from a reasonable facsimile of the whispered soft maternal quack of a lovesick duck , to a raucous , full-on "ah-ah-ah-ah-OOOOOOOOOOOOO-ga" with duration as you like it. The greatest proponent from the Ladies Acoustical Apreciation Society was Gail , the lady who used to cut my hair. She literally could not get enough of it. Frequent , eager , anxious mocking of the horn by her ,with panted staccato anticipation , would demand IMMEDIATE non-negotiable gratification. DEAD SERIOUS ! I am not taking use of poetic license here. This is precise objective documentary level journalism. That's the way it affected Gail. She loved the sound of that horn ! Any time , anywhere and everywhere ! It could be embarrassing at times. But , as I said , "Ladies choice". 

I have no idea of the versatility of the Ford horn. The only ahooga horn I have ever owned is pictured here between the distributor and fan. My suggestion to you is to go all out in authenticity and proper guttural virtuosity with the recommendations for the honker to be given by the ladies and gentlemen at your service here. Further to enhance peace in the barnyard or duck pond , I suggest a cosmetically acceptable example , an elegantly wrapped offering , as a birthday or anniversary present. That will justify the expenditure and pay dividends. In all modesty , I give credit for my insights here to the contents of a fortune cookie. Sage advice succinctly presented with the acumen of "Dear Abby" , or Ann Landers.   - Old Man Cadillac Carl

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Clever substitution (see edit history)

Most models of "Klaxon" horns sound different so I assume Different "Sparton" horns would be the same.  I wouldn't think you Dodge would mind too much if you used a horn that was used on almost any GM or Studebaker or Nash.  Definitely the ford horns have their on tone and would embarrass your Dodge.  There are several "Klaxon" horns on ebay right now between $50 and $150 that would be suitable.

If you have a motor operated horn (Klaxon and Sparton were the most common ones I believe) rather than a vibrator operated you do need to blow it occasionally or else when you need it, it won't work.  Usually the brushes stick.  I hardly ever use mine while driving but I needed it once and it did not work.  Now I try it at home a couple  of times each year.  Vibrator ones are probably  susceptible to having the contacts stick but I don't have any experience with such new fangled horns.

I am glad Ray, that there is at least one person out there that dose not believe that the horn is more important than the brake.  Driving these days I sometimes wish I was deaf.

Looks like the general consensus is happy wife - happy life. I especially like the suggestion of an anniversary gift. Anniversary number 50 is right around the corner. Guess what she's getting. (In addition to something yet to be named that I am sure will cost considerably more than a horn)

On 4/27/2017 at 8:37 AM, Wheelmang said:

As best I can tell the only thing missing on my 26 DB is the horn. Otherwise it is completely original. Would it be a sin to put a Ford ahooga horn on it?

We´re all sinners, but we try to be good!  This is original for my ´24: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dodge-Brothers-Horn-/361966096851?hash=item5446dc51d3:g:x6UAAOSw42dZBAZA&vxp=mtr   It´s a little over-priced, I think. . . . Make an offer, if you can use it.   Good luck!

29 minutes ago, dbbob said:

We´re all sinners, but we try to be good!  This is original for my ´24: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dodge-Brothers-Horn-/361966096851?hash=item5446dc51d3:g:x6UAAOSw42dZBAZA&vxp=mtr   It´s a little over-priced, I think. . . . Make an offer, if you can use it.   Good luck!

Thanks for the offer Roberto but my car is a 6 V.

3 hours ago, MikeC5 said:

I found a Klaxon at a flea market for only $20 and it works.  Only thing was, it was a 6 volt horn and my car is a 12 v system.  With the appropriate resistor in series it works fine.  I use it mostly to AOOGAA people who wave... 

Same here....... :P

It seems most people who enjoy seeing old cars out and about expect to hear a Klaxon....... :lol:

Ron, what's the model # on it. .. If he can't afford shipping from  across the pond maybe someone stateside can help ?

I doubt I have the correct one but maybe someone else reading this will have one..

Oh, and to answer the original poster's question:

YES! It is sacrilege for anyone that puts a Ford part on a DB. Anyone that does so should be quartered ;).

Just sayin..

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

18 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Oh, and to answer the original poster's question:

YES! It is sacrilege for anyone that puts a Ford part on a DB. Anyone that does so should be quartered ;).

Just sayin..

We stopped doing that a long time ago....it makes far to much mess! <_<

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 4:05 AM, Ron Lawson said:

It would be a North East one. I have a spare one that I purchased for my 28 DB Senior and it turned out to be the wrong one. It has been fully restored and is available. I live in Western Australia So postage is a problem 

Hi Ron: I have not had things other than postage stamps shipped to me from outside the country. Would you have any idea for the time and shipping cost  to ZIP 30175 plus what you are looking at for a price on the horn. I am going to go with keeping wife, self and purest all happy. If there should be an event of some kind that we are attending the Ooga will be swapped out for an OE. The car is so much a survivor in every other aspect it seems the only correct way to do this. That is also the reason I do not want to use an inverter. 

Thanks all for fun and serious comment. The forum is GREAT!!

Paul  

• Like 2