90 Reatta up and down idle and, not starting

Guest loupet

Guest loupet

Hello everyone, hope all is good with you. Well, slowly getting my 90 Reatta back in working order however, lately it idles up and down then smooths out. Today I took it for a short ride and when I parked, it stalled. Now, it won't start. Turns over but, not starting. What direction should I take?   Thanks 

Are you home or away? Have you tried starting since it has cooled down? If you have a can of PC Duster- with straw aimed at behind the Harmonic Balancer- directed at the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) hold can upside down, and give the CPS a 5 second spray.

Immediately try to start it. If it starts up- the CPS is failing.

Guest loupet

Thanks, 89 RedDarkGray. I'm home.  I'll see if it starts after it cools down. I replaced the crank position sensor about a month ago. 

The ICM can also be the failure point when hot.  Once it cools slightly, it typically will start up just fine...trust me I have had this one twice.  Don't bother with BWD brand ICM, pure JUNK!  Go with AC Delco if you want proven reliability.  After having two BWD ICMs fail within a year, I went with the Well Vehicle Electronics (sold by AutoZone) this time around as they have an improved design over the OEM product so I decided to give them a try.   I replaced my coil pack (magnavox style) and my ICM this time around BTW as if the coil(s) have ANY internal arcing, they can damage a new ICM.  Also make sure your plug wires and plugs are in good shape. If your don't know the history of either, I would replace them as they are not all that expensive. 

Edited by drtidmore (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest loupet

Thanks again you guys. I have replace the ignition coil module, coils, (magnavox) wires and plugs. CEL is on. Have to check for codes.

Guest loupet

Well, I took a plug out to check for a spark and, no spark so, I guess the coil and module that's only a month old has crapped out on me. Any other suggestions? 

Guest loupet

Thanks again Ronnie. I have a question on the module connector wire harness. I know they sell the connector with the wires but, is it difficult to connect the loose ends from the connector to the existing harness from the car?

If you are handy at soldering it would be pretty easy. If you can't solder pay someone to do the job that can.  I would consider soldering the wires and then covering the splice with heat shrink tubing to be a permanent fix.  I wouldn't recommend using the metal crimp on splices to make the connections. You are just asking for more problems down the road in my opinion.

Guest loupet

I want to get a used ignition module from a local junk yard to see if my car will start. If it does then, I can return the aftermarket one and, buy a gm one. My question is what other gm car modual will work in my 90 reatta?   Thanks 

6 hours ago, loupet said:

My question is what other gm car modual will work in my 90 reatta?

1 of these         1 of these            and 3 of these     3 of these       3 of these       and 6 of these

Or- you can go the "used" route again. GM 1991-1996, get all necessary hardware, hope it's not rusty. Vendors here probably have the entire setup used- for a fair price.

For critical parts such as this- I prefer new on my own car.

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)

A NEW base plate will not have threads cut in where the coils go- that's why I chose zinc plated wood screws. They cut nice threads in the soft aluminum. 

This is the invoice of the RockAuto order for my ignition upgrade. It has been working nicely. Standard Motor Products T-Series are high quality, IMO.

59025392449c3_ROCKAUTOCOMPLETEIGNITION.thumb.jpg.6b46804c02ce4d21a9f303c7a7fe9002.jpg