Sound Barrier

PWB

This ad is a good example of what options you'll find listed on your data plate.  ONLY options that were installed at Fisher Body get stamped into the plate.  And the picture is definitive of the way that the bodies rolled out of the door at Fisher Body on their way to final assembly.  No frame, no engine / trans / rear end, no front sheet metal.  What you see is what Fisher Body delivered.

Ed 

• Like 1

I dunno. It's sort of an odd concept. I get what they were trying to say, but without wheels, front end etc...this looks like some interstellar, car wreck acid trip. I like how the passenger is looking out the window and down...."Look honey, I can see Uranus. Hope my hat doesn't blow off. Can I have another acid tab please? How is this thing flying without a motor? PRL

The planets aren't arranged quite right. And it is taking nearly all the energy in the solar system not to make a remark about Uranus. That's why it is so cold.

But I could whip up a design for a heating and cooling control graduated in radians. Huh, spell checker doesn't like radians.

Bernie

Oh, well, "if the sun is shining off the right side of the chrome, then why is Uranus red?"

"It's 1958! Maybe from drinking too much Tang."

"No, no, no, Mars is the Red Planet."

"Wow. Are all you Buick guys geeks?"

"Pass the Tang."

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

They put a lot of thought and psychology into these ads. The point I think is that it transports anyone within to a place of control. Of course we know about the whole space race and how it impacted the car industry. Their build makes it as quite as the vacuum of space!

But we look closed a the male driving (of course!), with the two females. First we might think this is a sexual suggestion of the threesome, however, the women on the passenger side is notably further away and not within the same proximity as the other two; the white body of the car dividing them in separation. This is actually the mother/mother in law or noisy relative (maybe an aunt?). If you notice, they chose the colors of her jacket and hat to be the same at the planets outside the car. Sure, it could be something simple as only so many color used in the process of making the ad, however I would suggest that this noisy women is about to be tossed out of the car and into the silence. And that is our passport to the silent world. Back in control of our lives with an alpha male dominance. 

Or maybe the women on the right is the proper hat wearing wife and the women on the left is a place holder for the more loose and liberated mistress. Unseen by the other lady distracted by the outside world. What is great is ads like this are designed to represent all of this at one time. Sexy prestige and technological grace.   

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Chimera said:

They put a lot of thought and psychology into these ads. The point I think is that it transports anyone within to a place of control. Of course we know about the whole space race and how it impacted the car industry. Their build makes it as quite as the vacuum of space!

But we look closed a the male driving (of course!), with the two females. First we might think this is a sexual suggestion of the threesome, however, the women on the passenger side is notably further away and not within the same proximity as the other two; the white body of the car dividing them in separation. This is actually the mother/mother in law or noisy relative (maybe an aunt?). If you notice, they chose the colors of her jacket and hat to be the same at the planets outside the car. Sure, it could be something simple as only so many color used in the process of making the ad, however I would suggest that this noisy women is about to be tossed out of the car and into the silence. And that is our passport to the silent world. Back in control of our lives with an alpha male dominance. 

Or maybe the women on the right is the proper hat wearing wife and the women on the left is a place holder for the more loose and liberated mistress. Unseen by the other lady distracted by the outside world. What is great is ads like this are designed to represent all of this at one time. Sexy prestige and technological grace.   

Dang.....and here I thought it was just some guy driving two women in a space car body.......