California Mille vintage car tour

mike6024

jpeg

The unidentified driver was in a 1939 Jaguar at 2:30 p.m. going east on SR 128 when the car veered south off the road. The car strayed onto the dirt shoulder and crashed head-on into a tree, partially ejecting the driver, who died on scene. 

http://www.willitsnews.com/20170425/driver-dies-in-crash-during-california-mille-near-ukiah

Info on the founder of the Mille - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/07/automobiles/collectibles/martin-l-swig-dies-at-78-started-vintage-car-rally.html

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

That is so sad to hear.  There is often discussion on the merits of installing seat belts in vintage cars and I wonder if the outcome would have been better if this car would have been equipped with them.  Regardless, sympathies to the family of the driver and encouragement for a speedy recovery to the passenger.

Terry

When living in the Bay Area, always enjoyed going to the top of Nob Hill for the pre-event car show. Most always with rare sunny and warm Sunday afternoon weather. Had the opportunity to see many rare and interesting automobiles. Don't recall any accidents, but a few cars did suffer mechanical problems. An accident like this is so sad, and I offer the family my condolences. The driver and passenger were enjoying a nice drive in a beautiful part of California. I hope the Mille will be able to continue. JWL

Condolences to the familiy, and hope for the full recovery of the passenger. My friend Bill is driving this year's California Mille, probably in his M-B 300SLR .

Very sad to hear this news. My condolences to his personal friends and family. Any touring of our antiques does involve some risk.However, that risk is generally not great compared to so many other activities people enjoy. Even cars such as these run at slower speeds than many modern drivers risk in their every day. The model Ts and other cars of their era like I prefer are slower yet.

I would like to read further information once it becomes known, more about the car and the driver, and the cause of the accident. I am not familiar with most of Hwy 128 in California, but have driven some of it. And I have driven many tens of thousands of miles on similar Northern California roads, both in modern and antique cars.

I would wonder if some health issue precipitated the accident.

As for the seat belt question? This is neither the time nor place for that discussion.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Photo of California State Route 128 - Navarro, CA, United States. 128 Going to Mendocino & Fort Bragg

Highway 128 looks to be a nice drive, with some tight winding curves as you get closer to the coast. Have not done it myself. You could then go north on CA 1 to Fort Bragg then east on CA 20 to Willits and back down the 101. Would make a nice weekend trip with an overnight stay in Fort Bragg.

Truly heart-breaking to hear the news and see the results of the crash.  The Mille had just over-nighted in the city where I live and, by chance, I was able to see and hear the cars and meet several of the owner/drivers. All were great people and willing to share details of their cars and their journey. I did not get a chance to meet the folks in the SS 100.  

A seat belt likely would not have helped much. This is a right hand drive car and the steering column would have caused severe injury. The rout this year is pretty demanding for cars and especially their drivers. I have traveled Hwy 128 many times and it can be challenging even in a modern roadster. With trees lining the roads, it is unforgiving.

Thoughts and prayers to the family involved in the crash.

On 4/26/2017 at 8:53 AM, TerryB said:

That is so sad to hear.  There is often discussion on the merits of installing seat belts in vintage cars and I wonder if the outcome would have been better if this car would have been equipped with them.  Regardless, sympathies to the family of the driver and encouragement for a speedy recovery to the passenger.

Terry

Read the whole article.  The car DID have seat belts installed.  The driver, who was killed, was not wearing one.  The passenger who survived WAS wearing one. 

http://www.pressdemocrat.com//news/6928248-181/vintage-car-driver-dies-in

A Honolulu man participating in the California Mille vintage car tour was killed Tuesday in Mendocino County when his 1939 V-1 Jaguar crashed into a tree near the shoulder of Highway 128, the CHP said.

The man, whose name and age were not released by the CHP, was driving the white Jaguar east on Highway 128 near Navarro about 2:30 p.m., when for an unknown reason he drove off the road and onto the dirt and grass shoulder until slamming into a large tree, the CHP said.

Related Stories

The man was not wearing a seatbelt and was partially ejected from the vehicle, according to a CHP collision report. The front right portion of the Jaguar struck the tree.

A passenger in the vehicle, Ai Origake, also of Honolulu, received major injuries. Orikake was wearing a seatbelt. She was transported to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital and reported in serious condition Tuesday night.

The four-day California Mille, now in its 27th year, is one of the world’s premiere classic car touring events, taking participants on 1,000 miles of California’s back roads.

CHP officials do not believe alcohol was a factor in the accident.

I read the link in the original post and there was no mention of the seat belts in the car, hence my comments about them.  I am more in tune to safety equipment use after nearly being killed in an auto / motorcycle accident 5 years ago.

Terry

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 1