Old Car

trini

So you see this add on the local paper or some where " all original 1928  car ? truck or near that year for sale in running condition, original upholstery., nothing missing" etc. Well, think again. What you see outside is deceiving.9 times out of 10.. If you look behind the trim you will see the rotted timbers and surface rust on the sheet metal. In most cases the manufacturers never painted the inside before installing trim. The trim itself is faded and dry rotted, not to mention the rodents and critters housing development.

The really bad ones are the Fisher Bodied. I personally  will not buy one from the teens up to "31 for nothing. I had a 28 Chevrolet  once. I sent it to the scrap.

I  bought a 1928 Dodge Brothers 4 door sedan sometime in 2009. Original paint . I chose that car because it has 14 inch wheel hydraulic brakes system. The drive train is built like a tank. The drive shaft is  like that of a 1968 Chevrolet C 10 and the diff is  about the same  size. The roof suffered water damage and rotted  the roof timbers as a result.  The engine purrs like a  kitten with a Carter BB1.

So to those who are thinking of getting into the hobby of antique car, think with your head and not your heart . Get advise from  the guys on this forum. Some of the best in the business. I wish I  had done  that myself but I did not know of such club existed at the time." Beware, wherever the Deer roams, predators lie waiting  in the grass".  I learned to recognise a few in this column. Now weevil has eaten away the bottom main sill at the drivers side front door. I have to completely remove all sheet metal and replace timbers. Not a job for the faint hearted.

I was born with a disease ( mechanical defect) called perfectionist. It is a long road ahead for me. I want to make it look like the day it came off the factory.

I am 81 years old, physically and mentally active. I know I can do it with the help of good natured members.

• Like 1

Join a club and use all the resources of the club to make the best purchase you can.

If you wait until you buy the car and then join the club, you may go to your first meet and have someone say "Oh, you bought THAT car."

My son  just reprogramed  my laptop back to version 7 from version 10. Version is a pain in the but for me , to many steps to mail  pictures. I have lots of pictures I love to share. I should get the hang of emailing pictures by Friday April 20 , 17 when my son gets here. I will send lots of pictures.

Cheers.

Harry.

• Like 1