How to clean an old gas tank

Wheelmang

Got my 26 DB fired up yesterday for the first time since I have owned it. I used an external fuel source as the tank on the car smells like varnish. I believe it is the original tank with what I read some where has a lead liner??

The question is - what is the recommended means of cleaning out the tank? At 58K miles on the car it does not look like it has ever been off and if at all possible I would like to keep it that way. 

Thanks all for your input. 

Paul

After having a radiator shop clean out my tank (from a '36 Cord) with something that removed all the varnish and gasoline residue, I was left with the rusty interior. I put in two gallons of Evaporust and periodically rotated the tank over a span of two months. Unfortunately, it did virtually nothing. I then turned to a trick we used on antique car gas tanks back in the 1960s and dumped in a gallon of rocks, and then violently agitated the tank. Again, virtually nothing. So I gave up and took the tank to a local Renu franchise, and they are currently cutting the tank open to sandblast the interior, and ultimately seal it. I wish I had gone this route in the first place.  

• Like 3

Over 20 years ago I used hot water, crushed pea gravel & Drano drain cleaner to clean my son's 29 Buick tank.  I sealed all the openings and dumped a bucket full of the hot water & gravel along with a whole can of drain cleaner.  I did "the twist" with the tank every half hour for two hours to get it clean.  Then, removed all the seals & left it in the sun to dry before using tank sealer.  It is still in good shape today.

They are not lead lined but it maybe galvanized. There are many different tank cleaners. I have used a length of small chain as an abrasive, it is easier to get out than nuts and bolts, gravel. Your tank should have a baffle in it and sometimes that is the hardest thing to get crap off of.  

Be careful with gravels and such as my Dodge had two baffles and the pickup soldered to inside . Remove tank to be sure top is not rusted . Moisture tends to accumulate and eat the top first . I cleaned with shaper then Evapo Rust but since top was perforated cut open and used electrolysis .Then finished with Naval Jelly . Hard part was finding a weld shop willing to weld top back on . Did not coat as that what was done 20 years ago, and started falling loose and rusting behind . Know just keep it full in Winter .

20160511_080631.thumb.jpg.cec9f7e8687c34b7f131a8e4f893bef5.jpg

Edited by ArticiferTom
pic added (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I assume you know this but it is always good to have a reminder. Fill the tank with water to be sure all fumes and gas are out of it before you start to cut it. Even if you are using a saw or grinder as oppose to a torch  as sparks and fumes don't mix.  

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ok guys something I know about. LOL

I just went through this and used the vinegar, nut and bolts, CLR and rocks, Canadian Tire gas tank cleaning kit. After spending Over $100.00 and the tank wasn't cleaned good enough and I fooled around for 3 weeks i ended up taking it to Toronto and having professionals do the job. Less stress and Tanks like bran new with 3 year warranty. Total cost in Toronto $300.00. I could have got a new one in the us but the shipping was 285.00

Edited by trishabig (see edit history)

I found the best was to clean a tank is with a strong detergent in order to remove the gunk, using a pressure washer.

After that fill it up with a 9 to 1 mixture of molasses and water (1 molasses), let it sit for a few weeks and re-pressure wash it.

It will come clean, but it will re-rust because there is nothing to stop it (all the rust proofing terne is gone)

• Like 1

I have done gas tanks...it is a terrible job, stinks, residue I had to get rid of...  I hate to say it but I used Gas Tank Renu to do my 1928 Graham-Paige.  It was the best money I have ever spent.  Dropped it off in a garbage bag and picked it up all done a week later.  They cut a hole in the tank, sandblasted the inside, rewelded the tank and coated the inside with a ceramic? baked on coating.  It has been 10+ years and it still holds gas.  I used the place in MN.  So far so good.

http://www.gastankrenu.com/

On 4/25/2017 at 0:12 PM, jrbartlett said:

After having a radiator shop clean out my tank (from a '36 Cord) with something that removed all the varnish and gasoline residue, I was left with the rusty interior. I put in two gallons of Evaporust and periodically rotated the tank over a span of two months. Unfortunately, it did virtually nothing. I then turned to a trick we used on antique car gas tanks back in the 1960s and dumped in a gallon of rocks, and then violently agitated the tank. Again, virtually nothing. So I gave up and took the tank to a local Renu franchise, and they are currently cutting the tank open to sandblast the interior, and ultimately seal it. I wish I had gone this route in the first place.  

Need to go to a radiator shop anyway so will see if they can have any better success than your experience. Nothing to lose I guess. 

Edited by Wheelmang
spelling erro (see edit history)