Jay Leno Garage 1966 Buick Riviera

Chimera

I actually used to live in Escondido California and had some work done on classic cars by this shop (overpriced at the time). The guy seems a bit nervous and their facts are a little off. Personally I think the car would have looked better without that metal flake in that particular pattern. But hey, they like it. They added hideaway wipers!

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I assume everyone will be posting their opinions regarding this car, so I'll give you mine........to me this car

looks hideous.......I hate the paint color, hate the wheels, hate the interior........have I left anything out? I'd feel like an idiot being seen in public driving this car.  Jason Zerbini's stock restoration looks 10,000

times better than that monstrosity.The guy has been doing this since 1964 and this is the best he can come up with? May be time to retire. There's so few nice early Rivieras left that I hate to see one turned

into something like this. I wish he had done this to a Chevy Nova instead......(Just my opinion)

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

I assume everyone will be posting their opinions regarding this car, so I'll give you mine........to me this car

looks hideous.......I hate the paint color, hate the wheels, hate the interior........have I left anything out? I'd feel like an idiot being seen in public driving this car.  Jason Zerbini's stock restoration looks 10,000

times better than that monstrosity.The guy has been doing this since 1964 and this is the best he can come up with? May be time to retire. There's so few nice early Rivieras left that I hate to see one turned

into something like this. I wish he had done this to a Chevy Nova instead......(Just my opinion)

It could be that the builder was just following the owner's wishes when he built it.  He;s probably been in business as long as he has because he gives his customers exactly what they want. My 1/50 of a dollar.

Ed

• Like 2

At least most of the body lines and all of the chrome and dash remain. Its easily identified as a Riviera.

One less Riviera to end up in the smelter.

I was just in a yard outside Boise with multiple Rivieras melting into the Earth, beyond saving.

This is a Phoenix to me - if anything. :mellow: Hopefully new generations eyes will appreciate it.

(you know I prefer original)

I appreciate all classics both customized and factory stock.  I find that the Rivieras lend themselves to customizing quite well, as they were already "custom" appearing compared to most cars of their time.  Look at how far ahead a '63 was compared to the rest of what was out there.  At least 4 years ahead of its time, most other brands were still getting rid of tail fins and massive amounts of chrome a little at a time at that point.  I like this particular car, every bit of it, but I understand how some would not.  I believe most of the Riviera's key enthusiasts are into factory stock, but there's those of us that love them because we can personalize them to our liking.  I'm sure there's plenty that HATE my car, but there's plenty more that love it.  I get people pulling up next to me recording me driving mine down the road all the time, I don't know if the same would happen in a stock one, except by someone like us that are into them.  Most people don't even know what a Riviera is, I get asked all the time what kind of car mine is, and it still has the emblems on the fenders.

• Like 1

I prefer mine stock but I think this one was tastefully done.  Nothing radical here.  It is recognizable as a Riviera and it still retains nailhead power.  The interior is stock for the most part except for the colors, carpet and headliner and the dash and steering wheel have been left alone.  Even Bill Mitchell got the urge to be creative with Silver Arrow's I, II and III. 

52 minutes ago, Chimera said:

All in all, it is nice to see a 67 or ANY Riviera on Jay Leno's garage. This car is done in a very lowrider like fashion and suitable for the southern California region of Escondido. 

I think it would also be quite suitable in my garage here SW PA! Really just change wheels and tires. Lets see, 3000 hours in the car. Just say a conservative $80/hr shop rate. $240,000 semolians

Let me state for the record that I love the 66-67 look.  But I also think that this car is hidious.  Paint, chopped top, oversized wheels, missing door handles, and what looks like a choppy ride.  

I agree that the guy had to build it according to what the owner wanted so you can't blame him. 

40 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

I think it would also be quite suitable in my garage here SW PA! Really just change wheels and tires. Lets see, 3000 hours in the car. Just say a conservative $80/hr shop rate. $240,000 semolians

Yeah, when he mentioned the work hours, my eyes bulged. That's a lot of $$$.

When you spend that much, you get whatever the heck you want! I like how so much of this car is still stock, I respect that.

It's always interesting to hear differing opinions, and I think it goes to show what different people love about Rivs. I grew up very much in love with custom cars, and it's only been in the past 10 years that I've come to appreciate stock cars. Other than the wheels, and to a small extent the interior, the car is very much mid 60's street custom correct.

My dream, long term goals for my 64 is to chop the top 1 1/2 inches (to get closer to Silver Arrow proportions), reverse the hood so it tilts forward, and to have the doors slide forward to open. Mid 60's paneled custom paint, but in multi hues of dark blue, in fine metallic with metal flake panels.

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

I'd guess around $325,000 total for labor and materials.

Don't lean with your paws on my fender, Jay, I'll get you a walker.

It does look a little choppy.

I had to laugh when he said the car was the way he remembered them.

014.jpg.40cc7e9d192daa891fc5371430cebfc2.jpg

002.jpg.883daef62b45987e9b09e08f71fc364d.jpg

Oh, well, he said he was born in 1950. I guess it's a kid's point of view.

Bernie

I really like the chop and shaved  aspects of this car and the way it looks going down the road . The paint job, while very expensive and well done , is definitely a downer as is the rather gaudy  color combination on the interior , particularly that head liner . Carpet is just plain ugly with all the "glitter" . I am neutral on the wheels - bet they were at least a grand apiece  . Hearing that they took 3000 hours  at  ??... $80/ hr makes me feel a lot better about the 72 I just finished ! All in the eye of the beholder . 

KReed 

ROA 14549

On 4/25/2017 at 0:59 PM, RivNut said:

It could be that the builder was just following the owner's wishes when he built it.  He;s probably been in business as long as he has because he gives his customers exactly what they want. My 1/50 of a dollar.

Ed

Indeed. I would pay $ for a front bumper like that. Any second gen. fan can appreciate how the center line was fleshed out to eliminate big brothers' plate recess. Glad I live in a state where no front plates required. Design killers. Like a bad soul patch.

FINE DETAIL!

b.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Mayb

2 hours ago, PWB said:

Indeed. I would pay $ for a front bumper like that. Any second gen. fan can appreciate how the center line was fleshed out to eliminate big brothers' plate recess. Glad I live in a state where no front plates required. Design killers. Like a bad soul patch.

FINE DETAIL!

b.jpg

Soul patch.  Great idea.  Perhaps you should come up with a license plate that looks like a soul patch.  

Pee Wees Play house - too funny :lol:

I just want the front bumper finished. I think the original designers would of had it that way if license plates didn't exist.

Imagine a long European plate -  ugh

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely more of a stock guy and this is a little wild for me but I do think this car is tasteful done. I mean you kinda have to accept that some things are going to be "gaudy" when you're dabbling in the chopped, low-rider category. In fact, if you pick up "Lowrider" magazine and take a peek at that world, I'll think you'll find that this car is actually very subtle (!) and well balanced. And having Rivs represented in every category is great for the brand!

Ps. Everyone seems to hate the wheels... I think they are actually kinda mean! And I love the thick white wall. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BuickBoss said:

I'm definitely more of a stock guy and this is a little wild for me but I do think this car is tasteful done. I mean you kinda have to accept that some things are going to be "gaudy" when you're dabbling in the chopped, low-rider category. In fact, if you pick up "Lowrider" magazine and take a peek at that world, I'll think you'll find that this car is actually very subtle (!) and well balanced. And having Rivs represented in every category is great for the brand!

Ps. Everyone seems to hate the wheels... I think they are actually kinda mean! And I love the thick white wall. :)

I am absolutely with you regarding the statement. For a chopped low-rider, the car has retained all its Riviera characteristics - realy tastefull done. First the short roof irritated me a bit, but now I see this car as the pure Burner! And I like the wheels too - specially the thick white wall makes it straight out. For my gusto, the wheels are well balanced with the "big fat" body of that '66 and because of the chopped roof, the car looks like a gracefull heavy weight stickin' on the macadam.
(The gold flakes, however, are not mine... but this is of course a question of individual taste.^_^)
I would definitely change the horn and put at least a "horny" 3-Ton thing in it! :lol:

landscape-1493065762-riviera.jpg

• Like 1