Klaxon Horn Problem

Taylormade

I have a Klaxon 18B horn on my 1932 dodge DL and I;m trying to get it working.  The inside mechanism is very clean, all the wires look good and there is no rust or corrosion.  When I hook the horn up, it gives off a loud buzzing sound, much like a doorbell, but not the familiar "honk" I was expecting.  From looking things over, I can see three adjustment points - the large nut the adjusts the tension on the sounding board or diaphragm, and two very small adjustment screws on the flapper mechanism.  I can adjust the sound with the large diaphragm nut - too tight and no sound, too loose and it just kind of rattles.  The smaller screws - actually threaded rods with locking nuts - seem to be a go/no go situation.  Too tight and I get nothing, too loose and nothing.  Right in the middle and I get the doorbell buzz.  I have read that the rotor under the large diaphragm nut needs to be lubricated, but it's obvious that everything is rotating correctly and the magnets are working.  Why am I getting a buzz rather than a honk?

2 hours ago, Taylormade said:

Thanks, unfortunately my 18B has a different set up.  It's similar to the drawing, but with substantial differences.

Sure thing. I don't know the difference between an 18B & an 18 C. The picture above however, does not go with the text. It says see figure 5, which I don't have. I was hoping the text might help you. I do know that on my Model 19B's the difference between a great sounding horn, and nothing at all was in the adjustment they mention above as being quite sensitive. Boy, was it ever! Good luck!