1971 Chevrolet f10 Pickup-Should I buy? Stolen??

Guest glredmanii

Guest glredmanii

I've located a clean 1971 Chevy C-10 for $3500. The truck looks straight and clean inside.  But, not completely restored.  The seller does not have a title.  It has an antique license plate.  Seller said that  a bonding company looked it up and it was not stolen. Not sure how they looked it up.  The VIN is not on the door or glove box...according to the seller.

Any suggestions or precautions that I should explore before buying?  

The seller says he will let me  copy his license etc.   How can I tell if it is stolen?  

No matter if you live in a easy State to register, or a very difficult State....you need to find the factory installed VIN plate, or a State Issued VIN tag (if it ever was changed for some reason).

I don't recall the exact location of that VIN on a 71 C10.  My 66 C20 stainless steel tag is riveted to what I'd call is a door jamb, near the door seal, but up high near the roof/windshield post.  Yours should be somewhere in the drivers door jamb area, from between the hinges or look all the way up to the roof area.

If that tag is gone and you see two rivet holes, that is the worst situation.  (unless it has a State Issued replacement tag elsewhere)

Like was asked, which State is it from?  A local young guy here bought a 20 year old Dodge pickup from Pennsylvania and brought it here to Connecticut.  The Dodge VIN on the cab did not match the PA title.  He contacted the PA seller and found out the cab was swapped.  He had to get legal notarized documents from that seller, explaining where that "new" cab came from, and why the cab was swapped.  At that point CT DMV sent an inspector out to view the truck and documents, and a new CT VIN was riveted to the firewall itself.   So, I mention that, in case your VIN was "State Issued" and not in it's original location, and is someplace else on the truck.

My point is that different States likely put a State tag in many different locations.

If you never find any type of official VIN tag, original or State Issued, I personally would not buy that truck.  That does not prove it is stolen, however, you can't prove legal ownership if there is no VIN.

• Like 1

No title, no buy. Don't make a mistake of this magnitude, especially not on a very common vehicle. Find another one, there are plenty of them around. This one can't possibly be cheap enough to make up for the headaches you're going to have trying to create a title out of thin air. And if you fail, you will own it for life, because we've already found the only sucker in the world willing to buy it without a title: you.

Repeat: no title, no buy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glredmanii said:

I've located a clean 1971 Chevy C-10 for $3500. The truck looks straight and clean inside.  But, not completely restored.  The seller does not have a title.  It has an antique license plate.  Seller said that  a bonding company looked it up and it was not stolen. Not sure how they looked it up.  The VIN is not on the door or glove box...according to the seller.

Any suggestions or precautions that I should explore before buying?  

The seller says he will let me  copy his license etc.   How can I tell if it is stolen?  

If you are truly looking for suggestions or precautions, DO NOT CONSIDER BUYING THIS VEHICLE FOR ONE MINUTE.

WITH NO TITLE PLUS NO VIN TAG, HOW WOULD YOU EVER PROVE "THAT TRUCK" WAS LEGALLY OWNED BY YOU ?

YOU CAN'T.

NO TITLE PLUS NO VIN TAG = ONE GIANT PAIN IN THE BUTT.

RUN AWAY AND FAST !

42 minutes ago, Buick64C said:

You can't. I didn't realize the VIN on the door was the only place it exisited.

Perhaps there is the "hidden serial number ", but that has not been discussed, thus far.

There are more trucks for sale out there, the OP should not need to look for trouble, as this truck in question would indicate.

I would simply tell the seller, "produce the title and call me when you get it". I have read and heard about numerous issues regarding lost or no tittle purchases, that always seem to end badly.

most state police have an anti-theft unit. there is sure to be a vin number stamped on the frame someplace, and those guys will know where it is. if the seller is sure it's not stolen, i'm sure he wouldn't object to the theft unit inspecting it, they can also tell you how to get a title. if it IS stolen, just sit back and watch the fun!

This is what I learned from surfing the 'net as suggested by bobg1951chevy.

From an official GM publication, the location of the VIN for a 1971Chevrolet C10 is described as thus:  "Location: On plate attached to the rear face of left-hand door hinge pillar and on right side of cowl under hood."

According to other sources, the location of the VIN for a 1970 Chevrolet C10 is on the driver's side door jamb, just beneath the striker plate.  Another VIN (apparently metal tape) is on the back of the glove box door.  I guess that either the VIN location was changed for the 1971 model year or the internet information is wrong:o.  The VIN numbers on the TOP of the frame rail, (one on driver's side beneath the cab, the other in the engine bay  driver's side opposite P.S. pump pulley) apparently are only partial numbers which furnish only the model year, assembly plant and assembly sequence.

Oh, by the way, where is the Original Poster, glredmanii on all of this?

Cheers,

Grog

23 minutes ago, capngrog said:

This is what I learned from surfing the 'net as suggested by bobg1951chevy.

From an official GM publication, the location of the VIN for a 1971Chevrolet C10 is described as thus:  "Location: On plate attached to the rear face of left-hand door hinge pillar and on right side of cowl under hood."

According to other sources, the location of the VIN for a 1970 Chevrolet C10 is on the driver's side door jamb, just beneath the striker plate.  Another VIN (apparently metal tape) is on the back of the glove box door.  I guess that either the VIN location was changed for the 1971 model year or the internet information is wrong:o.  The VIN numbers on the TOP of the frame rail, (one on driver's side beneath the cab, the other in the engine bay  driver's side opposite P.S. pump pulley) apparently are only partial numbers which furnish only the model year, assembly plant and assembly sequence.

Oh, by the way, where is the Original Poster, glredmanii on all of this?

Cheers,

Grog

Holy cow, hoping the OP didn't get tossed into the can for possession of stolen property.

4 hours ago, cheezestaak2000 said:

most state police have an anti-theft unit. there is sure to be a vin number stamped on the frame someplace, and those guys will know where it is. if the seller is sure it's not stolen, i'm sure he wouldn't object to the theft unit inspecting it, they can also tell you how to get a title. if it IS stolen, just sit back and watch the fun!

Yes, the State Police have info on VIN number locations, etc

The problem I have personally encountered here in NC is the fact that the State Police information is valid, BUT the applicable years for their valid information is erroneous.

Here in NC, the NICB is used for the State Patrol reference. NICB = National Insurance Crime Bureau.

https://www.nicb.org/

Edited by bobg1951chevy
add link. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Since the internet came into being I established that I can take a risk and lose up to $3,000 a year without affecting the groceries or the family. I may have lost a couple of hundred bucks since I made that conscious decision, but it is a component when I spend hobby money.

With that level of willingness to risk in mind, buy the truck, drive it, and try not to put any money into it. If you get caught with a stolen truck, look dumb and tell the cops what the seller told you. I even practice that look in the bathroom mirror some mornings in case I get caught up with for something I forgot about.

Matt is right, but if you really want it don't let common sense stand in your way. You are thinking about buying a 45 year old truck. If two cops stop you for a stolen truck they will walk back to their car and one will had the other a $5 bill and the second will say "See, I knew he wasn't a criminal."

Writing about it online for the world to see is not something I would do, print this page out in case the cops don't have a sense of humor and you need to prove your innocence in court.

Bernie

Guest SaddleRider

C'mon guys - lighten up - the guy is having fun.   Fellow CLAIMS he is thinking of buying a motor vehicle...... in any western-world country, where the seller has no title, no registration documents  AND the VIN info. has been removed.   Wants advice....... Sure.  Great entertainment.    Yes, I agree that modern American education is letting the younger generation down....but THAT much ?  Sorry..not buying it.   Double HA HA for this entire thread!

43 minutes ago, SaddleRider said:

C'mon guys - lighten up - the guy is having fun.   Fellow CLAIMS he is thinking of buying a motor vehicle...... in any western-world country, where the seller has no title, no registration documents  AND the VIN info. has been removed.   Wants advice....... Sure.  Great entertainment.    Yes, I agree that modern American education is letting the younger generation down....but THAT much ?  Sorry..not buying it.   Double HA HA for this entire thread!

TROLL.

Cheers,

Grog

Something smelled fishy about this topic to me from the beginning. It's almost like a young kid asking if he/she should try heroine for the first time. I did a Google search of the OP's name and now there's an even more fishy odor. I apologize if I'm wrong but something doesn't seem legit to me.

Screenshot_2017-04-26-09-53-37.png

I started a family Facebook group a few years ago where members had to be descendants of my grandparents. There were a couple girls wanting to join, nobody I knew and too attractive to be my relations. Apperantly they are fake profiles and why they want to join my group was unknown to me. I wouldn't be surprised if there are fake profiles in this group as well as many others online.

7 hours ago, ragtop4two said:

I did a Google search of the OP's name and now there's an even more fishy odor. I apologize if I'm wrong but something doesn't seem legit to me.

Not arguing, but I don't see anything in your list that makes flags go up.

All I make from it is:  The guy was asking opinions about a fishfinder for a specific type of canoe.  And seems to want an old pickup.  The first item is that he is some sort of freelancer listed on a site, for looking for that type of work???

None of that, by itself, or all three, makes me concerned.  I can't see how he is scammer or web troll

he needs a cool old truck to haul his canoe :) 

• Like 1

F&J, you may be right but anyone who posts something here usually would have responded by now. If he was to call me out for accusing him to be fake then we'll be sure he's for real otherwise I'd still be leery on that one. 

I have friends on Facebook that keep falling for what's called ''farming scams'', when they get hacked people on their friends list have hacking attempts on them. Someone from Asia tried to hack my Facebook account last month because of someone on my friends list.

31 minutes ago, ragtop4two said:

F&J, you may be right but anyone who posts something here usually would have responded by now. If he was to call me out for accusing him to be fake then we'll be sure he's for real otherwise I'd still be leery on that one. 

Here is a possible reason he has not been back......   My young adult Son once gave me information on why people these days can disappear so quickly...  I was telling him about the rare few times I have put up a For Sale item on Craigslist, then get a few instant very super interested replies, and "poof" they are gone?

My Son says that his generation, who do buy/sell on CL and even Facebook (not Ebay), claim that people get bored, then look at stuff for sale, spot something "kinda" interesting and reply that instant.  He says these people "completely forget what you had 1/2 hour later", as they found more things to reply to later on.

That makes sense to me now.

Which maybe explains why this person never came back here?  He knew there was an title/paper/VIN issue, then joined here to ask, and quickly got more than enough reason to forget about buying that Chevy.  Yes, maybe 50%+ of "our older generation" would have come back to say: "thanks guys, I'm going to pass on it"....but things have changed in this "impersonal-at-times, internet world".

Think about some younger guy who never followed the vintage truck market, or never knew about our hobby.  He finds that truck which probably seems "antique" to him, so it makes some sense to me, that he found this Forum by web-searching "antique car or truck forums".  He probably figured (correctly), that an Antique Car site would have the legal stuff info, more so than joining a Chevy Truck Site which is mostly about the trucks and parts, etc.

Trust me when I say I am over concerned about some things these days, but I see not one reason why his asking here about that precise info, is suspect at all.  If he asked a string of questions that sounded like he was trying to find out if there were hidden secret numbers somewhere, and "do the DMV or Police ever look for those?"...then I'd feel he might be switching VIN tags or something.

I still think he is a just a non-bad guy...with a canoe, likes to go fishing,.... and may be still looking for a truck. :) 

Freelancer is a website not unlike "Task Rabbit." Ever heard of that one? Going very off topic here, but you can either get someone off of those websites to either do some work for you, or you can offer yourself up as available to do jobs of certain types. Apparently freelancer is for computer people. Task Rabbit is handyman, delivery, housekeeping, yardwork.

Hire Freelancers & Find Freelance Jobs Online - Freelancer
Hire freelance programmers, web developers, designers, writers, data entry & more at a fraction of the cost on the World's Largest Outsourcing Marketplace.

TaskRabbit connects you to safe and reliable help in your neighborhood
Your trusted and local handyman. Furniture assembly, TV mounting, moving help, and much more. Our Taskers can tackle all your home projects.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)