Went and showed Dad his 29 today.

tartop

I finally have gotten the 29 back on the road. This was my Dads pride and joy that I inherited. Forty years ago when I was 13-14 years old I helped my Dad restore this car. We took it to car shows every weekend for years. I remember we always had problems with the carburetor, fuel pump and the radiator. We went to a lot of swap meets and could never find anything that was ever any better than what was already on the car. The car ran obviously but was never real dependable. My Dad passed away 15 years ago. My Mom would not sell the car or anything so it just sat in the barn deteriorating. To my surprise 2 years ago she called me and said that if I wanted it that I could have it. I couldn't get hooked up to the car hauler fast enough! So I have slowly been getting it back into shape. Since it sat for so long the valves ended up rusting so bad that it would not turn over. I had the engine rebuilt and I have slowly gone through the whole drivetrain and now it is road worthy, complete with a new wiring harness and new tires. Also thanks to the Internet it now even has a new carburetor, new fuel pump and a new radiator! It is amazing the time my Dad and I spent scouring the swap meets looking for the parts to make it run better and now I have found them all right here from my recliner. This forum has also been a big help. An extra special Thank You goes out to Reid "Tinindian" Pearce for all of his help. His knowledge on these cars is amazing. I have an oil leak that I am still trying to get stopped but other than that we are back on the road! I am leaving the rest of the car just as Dad had it. The body is in pretty good shape considering the paint is 40 years old. My Mom made the interior for my Dad so that will never be changed either. The first place I took the car today was to the cemetery to pay Dad a visit. I am sure he is proud that his 29 is back on the road now better than ever!

Pontiac 4-2017.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tartop said:

I finally have gotten the 29 back on the road. This was my Dads pride and joy that I inherited. Forty years ago when I was 13-14 years old I helped my Dad restore this car. We took it to car shows every weekend for years. I remember we always had problems with the carburetor, fuel pump and the radiator. We went to a lot of swap meets and could never find anything that was ever any better than what was already on the car. The car ran obviously but was never real dependable. My Dad passed away 15 years ago. My Mom would not sell the car or anything so it just sat in the barn deteriorating. To my surprise 2 years ago she called me and said that if I wanted it that I could have it. I couldn't get hooked up to the car hauler fast enough! So I have slowly been getting it back into shape. Since it sat for so long the valves ended up rusting so bad that it would not turn over. I had the engine rebuilt and I have slowly gone through the whole drivetrain and now it is road worthy, complete with a new wiring harness and new tires. Also thanks to the Internet it now even has a new carburetor, new fuel pump and a new radiator! It is amazing the time my Dad and I spent scouring the swap meets looking for the parts to make it run better and now I have found them all right here from my recliner. This forum has also been a big help. An extra special Thank You goes out to Reid "Tinindian" Pearce for all of his help. His knowledge on these cars is amazing. I have an oil leak that I am still trying to get stopped but other than that we are back on the road! I am leaving the rest of the car just as Dad had it. The body is in pretty good shape considering the paint is 40 years old. My Mom made the interior for my Dad so that will never be changed either. The first place I took the car today was to the cemetery to pay Dad a visit. I am sure he is proud that his 29 is back on the road now better than ever!

Pontiac 4-2017.jpg

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing ... I remember working with my dad on his and mine old A model's old cars too... Treasured memories eh .... thanks thanks to Reid "Tinindian" Pearce for all the help he give to all, on this great forum...

Cheers

Russ

DSCF1677.JPG

2 hours ago, Storkey said:

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing ... I remember working with my dad on his and mine old A model's old cars too... Treasured memories eh .... thanks thanks to Reid "Tinindian" Pearce for all the help he give to all, on this great forum...

Cheers

Russ

DSCF1677.JPG

As you know the memories are very treasured and can never be taken away.

• Like 1