1929 Nash standard 6 engine

Does anyone know about the 29 Nash standard 6? It is a flathead while the other Nashes are OHV. This suggests they may have bought Continental or other proprietary engines for their cheaper line. Does anyone know if it is their own make or bought? They have 7 main bearings. Is it a good engine?

Interesting question---checked a 1930 McCord gasket catalog, and found no match of the Nash/Ajax head gasket with any Cont'l therein---did note the flathead part numbers were different from the OHV part numbers---much lower 5-number sets---you'd think if a new Nash engine the part numbers'd be higher, but...

Also checked Grahams out of curiosity; again found no matches, but Graham supposedly used own heads..

This is interesting, altho I'm sure there's a Nash history (or several) that cover this...

Cursory Googling brings up Nash bought bkrpt Mitchell, who reportedly built own engines, and LaFayette, who I'm unfamiliar with...

The first 26 Ajax came with your 169.9 L hd (classiccardatabase, Wiki) but I didn't think to compare with Mitchell (the Ajax/Nash Light Six was built in Mitchells Racine plant)..next time I'm in classiscardatabase I'll see what engine Mitchell had when it died...

Ajax reportedly was a Nash-quality product, so it's possible an entirely new engine  was designed; seven mains is  quality production.

Hopefully some of the Nash historians will relieve our curiosity...

I guess the Nash people are all on vacation...

Mitchell doesn't qualify; CCDB shows a 288.6 l-head...

allpar.com Nash engine piece strongly implies completely new Nash's own design, but doesn't state why switched to side valve...reportedly cheaper than OHV, but Ajax supposedly wasn't pinched on quality otherwise...

Maybe quicker to get into prod if Ajax project was a priority???

Was Nash already looking into L-heads for their straight 8s etc that came on in 31 or so??