Electric window conversion 1965 riv

moran75

Hi Kev,

my suggestion would be to find a suitable donor car and source all the bits, including the mounting hardware, switches, wiring loom etc etc. Not sure 100%  but possibly the 63 and 64 may also suit.  Just a thought, good luck.

I've never seen an aftermarket supplier for them. I think because they were so common from the factory. There's generic ones that fit over the window crank with a cable driven motor setup, but they seem kinda hokey to me.

If I was in your position, considering you're starting from zero, I'd use modern reverse polarity motors. The original motors used 2 positive wires, and were case ground. From what I've seen the old motors pull about 11 amps free spinning and 22 at stall, while modern ones only pull 6 amps at stall. So they're less stress on wiring. You should be able to find power window style regulators on ebay.

I'm converting my 64 to reverse polarity motors, because two of my originals were toast, and I want to go to express down/up windows. I can share more info if you want.

Edited by jsgun (see edit history)

4 hours ago, alini said:

The crank system for a power window and manual window are exactly the same.  You just need to remove the manual shaft which is riveted in and the motors bolt to it ;)   But you have to wire the car for it

Good to know, I wasn't aware of that

OK Riviera People: I believe the wires might be color coded differently form each year.  I discovered this when Bob Scanlon made me a "keeper" piece for the 4 gang switch cradle.  I'm not positive though.

This is an easy conversion for someone who is fairly familiar with the system and is fairly good with electrical stuff.  I've done a tinted glass changeover in my green 65 and have had the guts out 10 times.  unfortunately for me i still....AFTER 10 TIMES...struggle with getting it correct the first time.

mitch

• Like 1