NEED TITLE HELP IN NORTH CAROLINA

bobg1951chevy

In October of 2016, I surrendered my clear and clean New Mexico title to the local NC DMV, applied for a NC title, and purchased my NC plates.

I had purchased a '51 restored Chevy from my late friends estate in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Because this was an out of state car, the police officer / state inspector came to my home, snapped pics of the car and the serial number tag.

The inspector informed me he would send his pics and his info to the Raleigh, NC DMV. Raleigh is the state capital.

Inspector stated if all checked out OK with my '51,  in Raleigh, my new NC Title would be mailed out within 30 days.

Three weeks later, in early November, I had my NC Title, as I expected.

End of story ........ don't I wish.

Four weeks after receiving the new title, in early December, the inspector is back at my home, stating my serial number tag should be spot welded to A pillar, and not riveted, as mine is.

The Inspector did NOT know my new NC Title had been issued a month earlier, then stated my new title could be revoked, along with my new NC license plates, due to the above infraction.

Folks from AACA and VCCA sent pics of their 1951 riveted serial number tags, just like mine, which I forwarded.

Chevrolet began the serial number tag  "spot riveting" procedure in 1953.

Three weeks after the above visit, in late December of 2016, I had the Inspector back again, this time the size, color  and shape of my serial number tag did not match the illustration # 61, in the "unit serial number section" of the 1949 to 1953 GM Chevrolet Service Manual.

When this 1949 to 1953 manual went to press, GM did not update the illustrations up to the current years of the manual, so the serial number illustration shown was that of an earlier year Chevrolet (s). 

The Officer / Inspector then sent me two emails, one in late December of 2016, the second email in early January of 2017, stating they were finished, nothing else was needed ....  they were finished with their investigations with my 1951 Chevy.

Moving on  from early January of 2017 to April of 2017........

In mid April of 2017, the Supervisor of the inspectors contacted me, now believing my serial number was not correct.

The Supervisor wants to come out to view "the hidden serial number" on my 1951 Chevy, to validate the serial number tag on my A Pillar.

I explained the "hidden serial number" was not utilized in a 1951 Chevrolet.

The solution then was to inspect my engine serial number on my six cylinder engine, for that engine serial number will match the vehicle serial number, I was told.

I explained the 1951 did not have "matching numbers" plus the original 216 six cylinder engine was replaced with a 1961 235 six cylinder engine.

Two days after the above event, the Supervisor contacted me again, now saying the serial number tag attaching rivets are not the same "appearing"  rivets, from the original factory installation, in 1951. 

From my perspective, I have seen a variance in rivets, based on the ten different Chevrolet assembly plants operating in 1951.

Approximately 20 years ago, long before I owned this 1951, it was restored in  Minnesota.

Not knowing the circumstances back then,  I could imagine rivets being replaced, during a restoration, if the rivets were broken or rusted or damaged.

I do know the cowl tag body production number and the vehicle serial number are close in numerical sequence,  to one another.

No doubt in my mind, the serial number is the correct vehicle serial number for my vehicle, based on the stamped cowl tag number.

I have read a copy of the statute or law, illustrating the  form followed, for the inspection of my 1951 antique.

The information is not next to me now, but the heading closely reads "for specially constructed, or reconstructed or foreign vehicles", none of which fit the criteria of my antique 1951 Chevy.

It is quickly approaching seven months, since the initial inspection.

I must say the Inspector and the Supervisor have been civil and pleasant to me, throughout this "ordeal", as they carry out Raleigh's wishes, but honestly, I am at my wits end, truly at my wits end.

I'm certainly a very senior guy, these ongoing, unpleasant events take their toll.

According to the NC DMV, all these inquiries and inspections were to take place BEFORE my NC title was issued, and not after the fact.

If there was a problem, during the DMV  initial investigation, search, etc., the problem needed to be addressed and rectified BEFORE the NC Title was issued.

My NC Title was issued three weeks after my application, with no concerns, delays  or problems noted.

The purpose of this letter is to determine if anyone in NC has had the same experience.

If so, how was it handled and what was the outcome.

Thanks for taking the time.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
spelling. (see edit history)

A couple of suggestions.

Not sure how politics works in NC but it might pay to send a letter with copies of all the documentation you have and anecdotal knowledge to your local state congressmen or congresswomen along with a plea for some sanity from the state agency. You might suggest that while you understand the reasoning behind all of the regulations that concrete contemporary information regarding the various ID tags is inconclusive and should not be used to punish NC citizens and TAXPAYERS.

You might also inquire of the local AACA and VCCA if there is a lawyer who has an "in" at the DMV who can, for a fee of course, handle such cases. I am certain that one exists but it may require a bit of poking around to find out who - the good ones stay out of the mainstream.

• Like 4

I would contact your local State House Representative. He or she can probably help you get DMV to be as gentle as possible. When the laws were changed DMV really did not have anybody with any great expertise in antique cars. They relied on a lot of documents from the National Insurance Crime Bureau. NICB has a lot of good information developed over decades but their databases do have some errors. NC DMV has now had about 10 years of so to learn how to do this and they have a lot less problems with their title/inspection process than they had when they first started doing it.

If they make any determination that you disagree with, you need to file an appeal. The appeal board has some hobbyist representatives, but the majority of the board are DMV personnel. I don't know who is the NC Region of the AACA's current appointed representative on the board but you may want to contact NC Region President Bill Cox and find out. The NC Region AACA's current representative to the appeal board might be a good person to ask for advice.  

• Like 3

I totally agree with contacting your state representative.

I once had a similar, but different issue in Pennsylvania with a car registration renewal.

I sent in my annual registration and as required current insurance information. It was just coincidental that my insurance renewal date was during the last few week of the end of my registration cycle.  When I sent my registration the current insurance was within several weeks of expiring.  PennDot did not process my registration until a month after I mail in the registration and at that point I had received a new insurance card with the next cycle date.   Guess what, I got a letter stating PennDot wanted my new insurance information, so I sent that in.  Next I got a letter stating I sent in the wrong information, that they wanted the information current at the time I sent in the registration.  That was the original information I had sent in the first time so I sent it in again.  You will not believe this, then got another letter stating I had sent in the wrong information and PennDot wanted the new date and by this time my registration had expired.  In the letter it also stated my information had been sent to the PA State Police to have my license plate confiscated.  In addition to the letters there were also phone calls to PennDOT, where I waited for over an hour before talking to someone, and nothing ever got resolve talking to the PennDOT representative either.  In the phone calls i mentioned the entire scenario with the old and new insurance cards and that I had continuous insurance, etc.

The interesting part of this whole fiasco was at the time my wife ran the local office of our state representative and she brought this up to him when he came into the office.  That afternoon he went in to see the director of PennDOT with copies of all the correspondence I had with PennDOT and came back with a letter signed by the director that I had to keep on the dash of my car until he got this resolved so the Police would not remove my license plate.  The letter basically stated that PennDOT as screwed up my registration, were in the process of correcting the issue, and to consider my registration valid until this issue was totally resolved.  A week later I got my registration card.

Edited by Vila
Spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A criminal would have that car licensed and legal in two days. An honest person would get so frustrated they would dispose of the car. They'd probably sell it to a junkyard. The junkyard would sell it to a guy that would have it licensed in two days.

Call the junkyard and ask who might buy your car from them. Eliminate the middle man.

Bernie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I would contact your local State House Representative. He or she can probably help you get DMV to be as gentle as possible. When the laws were changed DMV really did not have anybody with any great expertise in antique cars. They relied on a lot of documents from the National Insurance Crime Bureau. NICB has a lot of good information developed over decades but their databases do have some errors. NC DMV has now had about 10 years of so to learn how to do this and they have a lot less problems with their title/inspection process than they had when they first started doing it.

If they make any determination that you disagree with, you need to file an appeal. The appeal board has some hobbyist representatives, but the majority of the board are DMV personnel. I don't know who is the NC Region of the AACA's current appointed representative on the board but you may want to contact NC Region President Bill Cox and find out. The NC Region AACA's current representative to the appeal board might be a good person to ask for advice.  

Yes, by their acknowledgement, these folks I have been dealing with use the NICB. 

Although the necessary information is found in the NICB files, the "applicable years" is where the problems exists.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)

While I have never heard of anybody doing so, and I can't predict if you will get any help by doing so, you might try contacting the NICB and provide them with the paper trail that you have that shows the error in their files. They might update their files to correct the error which would help you get it resolved with NC DMV.

https://www.nicb.org/contact_us

Bob,

You said:

"Approximately 20 years ago, long before I owned this 1951, it was restored in  Minnesota.

Not knowing the circumstances back then,  I could imagine rivets being replaced, during a restoration, if the rivets were broken or rusted or damaged."

AND

"I have read a copy of the statute or law, illustrating the  form followed, for the inspection of my 1951 antique.

The information is not next to me now, but the heading closely reads "for specially constructed, or reconstructed or foreign vehicles", none of which fit the criteria of my antique 1951 Chevy."

Could you argue, that restored and reconstructed in relation to your car mean the same thing?

Bob,

The problem you have is that contrary to your initial post, your car is covered by that statute. Your car was a "foreign vehicle" when you applied for the title. Under NC law a foreign vehicle as defined in GS § 20-4.01 (12). The definition is: " Foreign Vehicle. - Every vehicle of a type required to be registered hereunder brought into this State from another state, territory, or country, other than in the ordinary course of business, by or through a manufacturer or dealer and not registered in this State."

You can read the definition statute here: http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_20/gs_20-4.01.html

DMV had to inspect the car when it came in from out of state. You don't want to incorrectly argue that it was not subject to the inspection. You simply need to argue that the inspector is incorrect if he or she makes a determination that the car is not displaying the correct serial number tag, or else you need to file an appeal if they attempt to register the car as a specially reconstructed vehicle under GS § 20-4.01 (43) which is defined as: 

"Specially Constructed Vehicles. - Motor vehicles required to be registered under this Chapter and that fit within one of the following categories:

a.         Replica vehicle. - A vehicle, excluding motorcycles, that when assembled replicates an earlier year, make, and model vehicle.

b.         Street rod vehicle. - A vehicle, excluding motorcycles, manufactured prior to 1949 that has been materially altered or has a body constructed from nonoriginal materials.

c.         Custom-built vehicle. - A vehicle, including motorcycles, reconstructed or assembled by a nonmanufacturer from new or used parts that has an exterior that does not replicate or resemble any other manufactured vehicle. This category also includes any motorcycle that was originally sold unassembled and manufactured from a kit or that has been materially altered or that has a body constructed from nonoriginal materials."

1 hour ago, Ozstatman said:

Bob,

You said:

"Approximately 20 years ago, long before I owned this 1951, it was restored in  Minnesota.

Not knowing the circumstances back then,  I could imagine rivets being replaced, during a restoration, if the rivets were broken or rusted or damaged."

AND

"I have read a copy of the statute or law, illustrating the  form followed, for the inspection of my 1951 antique.

The information is not next to me now, but the heading closely reads "for specially constructed, or reconstructed or foreign vehicles", none of which fit the criteria of my antique 1951 Chevy."

Could you argue, that restored and reconstructed in relation to your car mean the same thing?

In NC, the definition of "restored" is to "make like new again", as it originally appeared from the factory.

With "reconstructed", an example was given, regarding a vehicle which was deemed a "total loss", by insurance company standards.

This "total loss" vehicle is purchased by an individual, which then creates a "salvage title", for that individual.

That individual "rebuilds" the "total loss" vehicle, which then creates a "reconstructed" title, after repairs are complete.

So no, restored and reconstructed are miles apart in procedures. 

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, MCHinson said:

Bob,

The problem you have is that contrary to your initial post, your car is covered by that statute. Your car was a "foreign vehicle" when you applied for the title. Under NC law a foreign vehicle as defined in GS § 20-4.01 (12). The definition is: " Foreign Vehicle. - Every vehicle of a type required to be registered hereunder brought into this State from another state, territory, or country, other than in the ordinary course of business, by or through a manufacturer or dealer and not registered in this State."

You can read the definition statute here: http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_20/gs_20-4.01.html

DMV had to inspect the car when it came in from out of state. You don't want to incorrectly argue that it was not subject to the inspection. You simply need to argue that the inspector is incorrect if he or she makes a determination that the car is not displaying the correct serial number tag, or else you need to file an appeal if they attempt to register the car as a specially reconstructed vehicle under GS § 20-4.01 (43) which is defined as: 

"Specially Constructed Vehicles. - Motor vehicles required to be registered under this Chapter and that fit within one of the following categories:

a.         Replica vehicle. - A vehicle, excluding motorcycles, that when assembled replicates an earlier year, make, and model vehicle.

b.         Street rod vehicle. - A vehicle, excluding motorcycles, manufactured prior to 1949 that has been materially altered or has a body constructed from nonoriginal materials.

c.         Custom-built vehicle. - A vehicle, including motorcycles, reconstructed or assembled by a nonmanufacturer from new or used parts that has an exterior that does not replicate or resemble any other manufactured vehicle. This category also includes any motorcycle that was originally sold unassembled and manufactured from a kit or that has been materially altered or that has a body constructed from nonoriginal materials."

MC, your point is well taken, and my error was believing "foreign vehicle" was a MG or a Jaguar, etc.

Reading the NC definition clarifies "foreign vehicle". An "out of state vehicle" phrase could have been used.

I ALWAYS do my due diligence, when making a vehicle purchase.

I verify the title has no lien, I verify the title is in the name of the current owner selling the car, and I certainly verify the serial numbers on the title match the serial numbers on the car.

If there is a concern in any of those mentioned areas, I am not a buyer.

In this instance, buying this vehicle from my late friends estate, I was 2,000 miles from the car.

I had my late friends grown daughter take a clear picture of the serial number tag, along with both sides of the New Mexico title.

I was satisfied with what I saw.

I am not stating, by any stretch, that my 1951 should not have been inspected in NC.

Instead, I erroneously saw the statute presented to me, as another incorrect issue, during this venture.

My vehicle was inspected, my serial number was run through the system, found to be trouble free.

In addition, my New Mexico title was clear, clean, without any exceptions noted on the N.M. title.

Upon inspection by the NC DMV, and without any additional concerns or infractions,  my title should have been issued, which it was.

Receiving my title told me my vehicle and its paperwork passed the tests in North Carolina.

One month after receiving my title is when concerns were announced, and various concerns were added, going on and on, since that point in time.

Once the Officer / Inspector discovered my title was issued, he folded up his paperwork, etc., stated this case was closed, because the title had already been issued. That was in early December of 2016.

But his words did not close the case.

If concerns were there, by the Raleigh NC DMV, upon inspection of the serial number and the pictures taken by the DMV, my title should not have been issued to me.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
wording error (see edit history)

I agree that they should have held up the title until they were satisfied, but they do have the ability to review it for up to 1 year. They typically try to issue the title within 30 days to comply with the intent of the statute. The problem appears to be that the Supervisor in Raleigh overruled the local inspector. That would apparently be based on a belief that the serial number tag is not proved to be the original due to their apparently incorrect information regarding the serial number rivet style originally used by Chevrolet. 

I understand exactly what you are dealing with. I went through the same thing before they issued the title on a 1954 Buick that I bought from out of state until I was able to find out here on the forum where to find the hidden serial numbers on a 1954 Buick. I was a former member of the review committee, as the AACA representative, when I had to deal with the nightmare, so at least I understood their system enough to effectively deal with them.   

5 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I agree that they should have held up the title until they were satisfied, but they do have the ability to review it for up to 1 year. They typically try to issue the title within 30 days to comply with the intent of the statute. The problem appears to be that the Supervisor in Raleigh overruled the local inspector. That would apparently be based on a belief that the serial number tag is not proved to be the original due to their apparently incorrect information regarding the serial number rivet style originally used by Chevrolet. 

I understand exactly what you are dealing with. I went through the same thing before they issued the title on a 1954 Buick that I bought from out of state until I was able to find out here on the forum where to find the hidden serial numbers on a 1954 Buick. I was a former member of the review committee, as the AACA representative, when I had to deal with the nightmare, so at least I understood their system enough to effectively deal with them.   

In all of this, I was told by the Inspector and later by the Supervisor that the issuing of the title should have been the period at the end of the sentence.

I was told all inspections would cease, if a title was issued.

I was also told if there was a "glitch" in the paperwork, or serial number or whatever, NO TITLE would be issued, regardless of the 30 day statute.

I believe that 30 day clause is for inspections that move along smoothly, without any "glitches".

If a review is permitted for one year, I have not been told or read of this policy.

Recall, the objections did not begin with serial number tag rivets, instead the serial number tag rivet complaint came to light six months after all this began, in October of 2016.

MC, since you have been on the review committee, I would appreciate direction here, whether through this forum, a PM or my personal email address.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
change wording. (see edit history)

The one year is found in the statue: "These verifications shall be conducted as soon as practical. For an out-of-state vehicle that is 1980 model year or older, this inspection shall consist of verifying the public vehicle identification number to ensure that it matches the vehicle and ownership documents. No covert vehicle identification numbers are to be examined on an out-of-state vehicle 1980 model year or older unless the inspector develops probable cause to believe that the ownership documents or public vehicle identification number presented does not match the vehicle being examined. However, upon such application and the submission of any required documentation, the Division shall be authorized to register the vehicle pending the completion of the verification of the vehicle. The registration shall be valid for one year but shall not be renewed unless and until the vehicle examination has been completed."

Generally the local inspector makes a determination and his or her inspection report and the photos go to Raleigh and get approved, filed away, and they issue a title. The inspection is not "completed" until the Supervisor in Raleigh approves the local inspector's report. In your case, it appears that the Supervisor in Raleigh never approved the inspection report but they issued the title due to the wording of statute, "If an inspection and verification is timely performed and the vehicle passes the inspection and verification, title shall issue to the owner within 15 days of the date of the inspection."

If I was you I would simply ask the local inspector to keep you posted on the issue. There is not much you can do until the DMV makes a final decision. It may be that the report gets approved by the one year deadline of the stature and they will simply close their "investigation" or they may rule the vehicle a "Specially Constructed Vehicle", in which case you need to file an appeal. Only time will tell which way it goes. 

I don't think that I still have the contents of the private messages on this issue that we exchanged back when you first posted about it, but feel free to send me another message if you have any questions that I can help you answer. 

3 hours ago, MCHinson said:

The one year is found in the statue: "These verifications shall be conducted as soon as practical. For an out-of-state vehicle that is 1980 model year or older, this inspection shall consist of verifying the public vehicle identification number to ensure that it matches the vehicle and ownership documents. No covert vehicle identification numbers are to be examined on an out-of-state vehicle 1980 model year or older unless the inspector develops probable cause to believe that the ownership documents or public vehicle identification number presented does not match the vehicle being examined. However, upon such application and the submission of any required documentation, the Division shall be authorized to register the vehicle pending the completion of the verification of the vehicle. The registration shall be valid for one year but shall not be renewed unless and until the vehicle examination has been completed."

Generally the local inspector makes a determination and his or her inspection report and the photos go to Raleigh and get approved, filed away, and they issue a title. The inspection is not "completed" until the Supervisor in Raleigh approves the local inspector's report. In your case, it appears that the Supervisor in Raleigh never approved the inspection report but they issued the title due to the wording of statute, "If an inspection and verification is timely performed and the vehicle passes the inspection and verification, title shall issue to the owner within 15 days of the date of the inspection."

If I was you I would simply ask the local inspector to keep you posted on the issue. There is not much you can do until the DMV makes a final decision. It may be that the report gets approved by the one year deadline of the stature and they will simply close their "investigation" or they may rule the vehicle a "Specially Constructed Vehicle", in which case you need to file an appeal. Only time will tell which way it goes. 

I don't think that I still have the contents of the private messages on this issue that we exchanged back when you first posted about it, but feel free to send me another message if you have any questions that I can help you answer. 

MC, the one year clause states the verification shall be conducted as soon as practical. It was, in my case.

It further states the inspection shall consist of verifying the public vehicle identification number to ensure that it matches the vehicle and ownership documents. It was, in my case.

This above procedure was done in a timely fashion, in under 30 days, from day of title application at the local DMV, to new North Carolina title in hand.

No exceptions were noted, no infractions were listed, nothing of concern was written or verbally spoken to me, before or immediately after my title was issued.. 

As a footnote, not only does the vehicle serial number match the model of the vehicle itself, the vehicle serial number sequence coincides with the body production number sequence, located on the cowl tag, under the passenger side of the hood.

Besides the personal grief this entire procedure has created for seven months, this 1951 Chevrolet is also a  financial  investment for us.

No one is willing to throw their investments away, whether it be a savings account or a stock market account or an automobile investment account.

Erroneous information from the NICB to the NC DMV has been the culprit.

The manufacturing automobile factory states the facts, those facts are then re-interpreted by the NICB, sometimes misinterpreted by the NICB, as I have witnessed.

Had factory information been utilized, the Officer / Inspector would not have been looking for spot welded serial number tags, or incorrect size and shapes of serial number tags or hidden serial numbers or matching serial numbers between engine and vehicle body or variations in sizes and shapes of serial number tag rivets, from ten different 1951 assembly plants.

I have supplied the Officer / Inspector with factory pictures, factory statements, pictures of subject matter from OTHER 1951 Chevrolet owners and their vehicles.

I have done my due diligence.

At the end of the day and after all my submitted information, my 1951 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe is still known as a Chevrolet Skyline to the NC DMV.

I've taken up enough space, regarding this ongoing scenario ...... but would still like to hear from anyone in North Carolina who has had the same experiences.

I have to ask as my wife and I are planning to relocate down there at some time and I have three cars that may be moved - Maine is a Bill-Of-Sale state for anything over 15 years but I can go thru the hassle of getting a warranty title if it will help.

One car is a 1926 Model T Ford I have had for over ten years which is registered by the frame number but has a different engine number from that.

The second is a 1928 Model A which is registered by the engine number which is from a later AA Truck and the hidden number on the A frame is under the body if it is even legible.

The third is a 1929 Model A that has it's original engine and should not be an issue unless the NC DMV is still wanting to see a frame number - I hate to have to pull the body off to get at them...

How bad is this process or should I sell them all off before moving?????

5 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I have to ask as my wife and I are planning to relocate down there at some time and I have three cars that may be moved - Maine is a Bill-Of-Sale state for anything over 15 years

You need to say if the cars are currently registered in your name.

That might be important info for a NC expert here.

• Like 1

Yes, all three are currently registered in my name, the T for over ten years, the 29 A for 5 years and the 28 since last August. When I get the Warranty titles they would be in both my wife's name and my own to avoid any probate issues should something happen to me.

Good thought and thank you!

As long as you own them and are moving here with them currently registered in your name in your current state you should not have any problem. I have not heard of anyone having trouble moving into the state with cars that they owned in another state. The problem comes with a resident attempting to purchase a car from out of state which has any issue to cast doubt about the car being positively identified as the car listed on the paperwork when the DMV Inspector examines the car. 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, MCHinson said:

As long as you own them and are moving here with them currently registered in your name in your current state you should not have any problem. I have not heard of anyone having trouble moving into the state with cars that they owned in another state. The problem comes with a resident attempting to purchase a car from out of state which has any issue to cast doubt about the car being positively identified as the car listed on the paperwork when the DMV Inspector examines the car. 

"The problem comes with a resident attempting to purchase a car from out of state which has any issue to cast doubt about the car being positively identified as the car listed on the paperwork when the DMV Inspector examines the car".

Had the factory issued information been utilized, the Officer / Inspector would not have been looking for (1) spot welded serial number tags, or (2) incorrect size and shapes of serial number tags or (3) hidden serial numbers or (4) matching serial numbers between engine and vehicle body or (5) variations in sizes and shapes of serial number tag rivets, from ten different 1951 Chevrolet assembly plants.

Keep in mind here,  after my NC Title was issued ...... the State began with item (1), but when that item was documented as being erroneous, the State went to item (2) and so on.

All five items have been addressed, with an abundance of accurate Chevrolet documentation, to the NC DMV

I am unhappy, with no resolution in sight,  concerning the "incorrect doubt" created by the State of NC with all of the above listed items.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
corrected spelling error. (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still in limbo here, 6 weeks since my last NC DMV communication, almost 8 months since the first vehicle inspection..

I have not been advised of  any positive resolution being reached by the NC DMV.

I spoke to an AACA member / police officer who stated the state may wait until the anniversary date of my title and license plate issuance, then refuse to issue a new "yearly sticker".

It's my hope the state shows professionalism and concludes this ongoing nightmare, with a positive resolution for me.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)

I'm in North Carolina as well and know the problems here.  The situation was created by the State Legislature about 5 years ago and has been a mess.  This was put in place to stop "all the stolen antique autos coming into the State".  Cars 1981 and newer can come into the State without this inspection.  I would recommend contacting the Governor's office, Attorney General and yout local Representatives offices to try to get this resolved and possibly start a movement to correct this bad law.

When this bill was up for vote, many old car owners protested the specific wording of the bill and supported an other version.  Our efforts worked in a way.  The bill we supported was passed, but amended to include the sections we objected to.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 61polara said:

I'm in North Carolina as well and know the problems here.  The situation was created by the State Legislature about 5 years ago and has been a mess.  This was put in place to stop "all the stolen antique autos coming into the State".  Cars 1981 and newer can come into the State without this inspection.  I would recommend contacting the Governor's office, Attorney General and yout local Representatives offices to try to get this resolved and possibly start a movement to correct this bad law.

When this bill was up for vote, many old car owners protested the specific wording of the bill and supported an other version.  Our efforts worked in a way.  The bill we supported was passed, but amended to include the sections we objected to.

I appreciate your feedback, 61 Polara.  I will advise as to how this chess game proceeds.