1908 High Wheel La Crosse Auto Buggy

Guest Cshea

Guest Cshea

I recently acquired a high wheel car tagged and titled "La Crosse Auto Buggy" I am searching for the history of the car.  The brass tag reads "La Crosse Plow Company". Its powered by an opposing twin cylinder air cooled motor.  Can someone tell me more about this car.   Here is a picture of the motor.   I will lift the driving platform and take some good photos asap.  The engine has a round belt driving a 4 feed mechanical oiler, fan built into the flywheel and a 3 note exhaust whistle.  My wife and I put about 9 miles on it last evening, runs and drives like new.

La Crosse.JPG

high wheel (1).JPG

Edited by Cshea
added photos (see edit history)

Humm, I have a book that is about 2" thick and lists every car ever built and your vehicle is not listed. I'm puzzled. Perhaps it is a one of a kind. I would  contact the A.A.C.A. Library. Very nice vehicle.

(No mention of the Auto Buggy though)

The LACROSSE PLOW Company, LaCrosse, Wisconsin. 

Hirshheimer, Albert 1840 - 1924 

A manufacturer, born in Wiirtemburg, Germany. He moved with his family to Pennsylvania in 1850, and to Wisconsin in 1856, settling in La Crosse. In 1865 Hirshheimer became co-owner of a La Crosse plow shop and was sole owner in 1881. In 1893 the business was incorporated as the La Crosse Plow Co., with Hirshheimer heading the firm until his death. He had interests in several other businesses including the La Crosse Rubber Mills, the Wind River Lumber Co., and the Batavian National Bank. 

Hirshheimer, Harry Julius 1871 - 1952 
His son, HARRY JULIUS HIRSHHEIMER, born in La Crosse, graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1891. He was vice-president of the La Crosse Plow Co. (1893-1924), and was president of the firm from 1924 until it was sold to Allis-Chalmers in 1929. He was president of the La Crosse Board of Trade (1897-1898) , was secretary and treasurer of the Sta-Rite Engine Co. (1911-1916) and was a founder of the La Crosse Industrial Association. One of the founders of the La Crosse County Historical Society.

http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/starite/page110.html

Here's a different similar "1908 Pioneer Auto-Buggy"https://books.google.com/books?id=1RVaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA933&lpg=PA933&dq=La+Crosse+Auto+Buggy&source=bl&ots=gA6_UYmvQd&sig=4mUw34oyQ6VD84NQZzLF6CBUCQM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjG5qjk87XTAhUl4IMKHVejBocQ6AEIZDAI#v=onepage&q=La Crosse Auto Buggy&f=false

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Can you submit more pictures of your vehicle? I wondering if the Lacrosse Plow Co. built your car with intentions of going into the car business and decided not to after all. Perhaps the engine will be a clue.

• 1 year later...

Believe your highwheeler was built by Lee Andeson, Frazze Minnesota. On you tube there is an obscure video interview where he discusses collecting parts over many years - build was labeled 1908. Google search will also pick up some more pics and info. Good luck with your highwheeler. If you ever would like to sell it please contact me. I am also in search of 2 speed planetary transmission as used in a highwheeler, horseless carriage or motorbuggy.

Thanks!

Edited by G Mills
Update (see edit history)