FleaBay Does it Again! Museum Quality GT350?

I think those two lovely ladies are higher maintenance than the Packard in the photo, and all the cars in both of our garages! To quote a famous distiller "all goods worth price charged".

• Like 1

On muscle cars I can't say it on all,  but I have a few I might own some day.  I have found a few good examples but all had automatics and after selling a 427 400 HP numbers matching 68 Corvette,  realized any future performance purchase would have to be a stick.  I won't tell you the number of people that walked away from the Vette as soon as they found out it had a TH400.  In fact,  the guy I sold it to was going to convert it to a stick and keep all the parts to put it back and was thrilled he was getting a deal because it was an automatic.  

So I guess in both cases as being a buyer and a seller,  the automatic is a turn off and deal breaker.   

I wouldn't even consider an Automatic C1 when I was looking for one.

I'm casually looking now for a late model Saturn Sky redline and won't buy one with an auto. 

I remember a 1963 Corvette conv't I agonized over buying and never did because it was a glide car. 

Maybe the autos were just the tickets when you sold your cars but even my Vette friend who has built and is crazy knowledgeable on all eras of Vettes said the Auto is almost always the kiss of death. 

Probably not as crucial on most low HP Vettes but once you start pushing the performance end of things,  guys want to shift.   Probably just an ego testosterone thing,  though my wife will only drive a stick and that made finding her a new Tacoma kind of tough. 

My 400 HP 427 with the Turbo 400 68 drove fine and could be bump shifted to maximize performance.  It seems though,  guys don't want to be called a wus by their friends for having an automatic or something along those lines.  I just got sick of trying to sell it when every person that inquired said oh it's an automatic.  I didn't want to have to go through that again.  One reason i usually buy convertibles as well. I can't think of a single person that has ever looked at a convertible that I have been selling, say to me,  if only it were a sedan I would be interested.  I have to think resale as at some point I will get bored with it and want to experience a different type of car.   I couldn't imagine my 60 Fuel Injected Corvette with an automatic.  Especially a PG.  

Well now, this thread has really taken a different direction. I have to say, having owned almost 50 Corvettes over the last 30 years, it's been my personal experience that there are just as many automatic trans buyers as there are standard. Whichever I've had at the time I chose to sell it, the subject never came up that the buyer would have preferred one over the other. Granted most of these Corvettes ranged from  about $15K to $50K. None of theme were "ultra rare".

• 3 years later...

I'll bite. (LOL) I currently own a 1973 Corvette Stingray with a 454 and a 400 turbo transmission. I do like a stick but I've found as I get older, it's nice to let the car do the work. BTW, the auto is pretty quick off the line and will keep up with most things around here.

1973 Corvette 004.jpg

• Like 1

New guy reviving an old thread day one.  Morgansdad your car reminded me of a coworker who bought a C3 same color and promptly paid a fortune for a full color change to black.  I always thought the green was much more unusual, interesting and period.  

Now this thread brings back memories.  Most of them bad, except the great joke I made about Ed being the blonde.

Btw,  I'm taking back the whole "stick in a musclecar" is a premium opinion.    Too many of us are getting up there and driving a standard transmission is either a pain or impossible.

Not to mention most people under the age of 40 can't drive something with a clutch.

AJ, before you know it, you will be too old to change gears with a clutch. Let's just hope you will still be able to change your depends!

Sorry, was just looking around and saw this thread and had to reply. My car, Elkheartgreen was a fairly rare color in '73. As far as can be researched less than 10 % were painted this color. As far as your friend changing the color on his, none were painted black from the factory in '73 but 20 were special ordered from the factory in primer and thought to have been painted black by their new owners. I've always wanted a corvette although the model A is my favorite.

With a good Muncie (better if you file every other tooth off the synchros) you only need the clutch off the line. After that just apply max force to the lever and blip the gas. Wins 9 out of 10 races. (10th you scatter little bits of aluminum and gears all down the track).

Am thinking about a C5 targa with six speed manual for this years toy (or an XLR, one of them) since have enouth other automagics (all with OD though).

2 hours ago, padgett said:

With a good Muncie (better if you file every other tooth off the synchros) you only need the clutch off the line. After that just apply max force to the lever and blip the gas. Wins 9 out of 10 races. (10th you scatter little bits of aluminum and gears all down the track).

Am thinking about a C5 targa with six speed manual for this years toy (or an XLR, one of them) since have enouth other automagics (all with OD though).

let's face it,  nothing sounds better than going through the gears on a M22.     What that what James Taylor was running in 2 Lane Blacktop,  or was it the GTO?  I forget.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

I've always had a soft spot the '73. Transitional year certainly, but the newly designed hood was a stellar leap in improvement over the previous vacuum operated wiper door and the new side fender vent was a better look/function than the egg crate. I also approve of the government imposed front bumper. The whole design makes for a nice clean flow.

Elkhart Green, excellent color on this car!

Greg

I've rebuilt several of them Steve. They were more of a novelty idea that just deteriorated with time. That's why I love the '73 hood.

On 4/25/2017 at 12:51 PM, West Peterson said:

GT52, you know not of what you speak. Neither Al nor Ed are unknown. Both are LONG time big players in the hobby, and are both respected by everyone I know in the hobby. In addition, they give their real names in their posts and do not hide behind a contrived "handle."

I've been in the hobby just as long as both Ed and Al and have rubbed elbows with some of the most well-known hobbyists in the world. I'm also an automotive journalist, editor, photographer, etc. In addition, I've been appraising automobiles since 1984 for a company that's been in business since 1976.

That said, I slightly disagree with both Ed and Al in that appraisal GUIDES are "100% worthless" (although they explained their comment further by saying they're worthless for the high end vehicles). Price GUIDES are just that... guides. As a user of them regularly, one gets a feel for which are accurate, and which are not. NONE of the guides are good 'across the board,' but each seem to have their own strength in a certain genre. And one should always remember that the guides are also just opinions of the editor/publisher.

One thing I've always found funny are the guides that give values right down to the ten spot, i.e. $35,350. Really? You give an opinion about a car's value and say it's worth exactly $350 more than $35,000??? Why not $35,500, or just $35,000. The odd figures make you wonder that all they've done is hit the % button across the board when they update the next edition.

I've been attending car auctions since the early 70's as  a spectator /seller and a buyer. You can always pick out the guys that work for "The Black Book" They are never "Car Guys" and always sat away form the ring with note pads. At least they did before the internet age. And yes they just hit the calculator % button!

It's not the fault of eBay if someone doesn't list their car (or any other item) accurately so why criticize them by calling it FleaBay? You and most of the other guys here have probably bought a few things on there that were described accurately. I've sold over 30,000 items on there since 1999 and have made a very nice living thanks to them so cut them some slack with the childish nicknames.... :wub:

It's easier to cut them some slack as a seller when they stop putting it to the seller.  Look into new managed payments which we will be required to opt into in the near future.  They are going to tack a fee on the sales tax they collect and charge the seller that fee on top of a .30 per transaction fee on top of a percentage.  Working for them feels more like working for the mob. Feels more like extortion than normal fees.  I'm waiting for the door bell to ring one day with two big dudes in suits wanting to have a little talk with me. " Mr. Ebay wants to see you down at the docks". ;) 

I buy plenty of stuff on ebay,  and from the buyer's perspective it is a good tool.  But like all things that get too big problems start.   They could probably use some competition.

Also,  do you really care if someone calls a giant company by a stupid name?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

It's easier to cut them some slack as a seller when they stop putting it to the seller.  Look into new managed payments which we will be required to opt into in the near future.  They are going to tack a fee on the sales tax they collect and charge the seller that fee on top of a .30 per transaction fee on top of a percentage.  Working for them feels more like working for the mob. Feels more like extortion than normal fees.  I'm waiting for the door bell to ring one day with two big dudes in suits wanting to have a little talk with me. " Mr. Ebay wants to see you down at the docks". ;) 

eBay couldn't care less about sellers, they consider me a "BELOW STANDARD" seller  after 22 years and 9900 positive feedbacks. I do care about my buyers, and the feedbacks they post. Bob 

2 hours ago, Lebowski said:

It's not the fault of eBay if someone doesn't list their car (or any other item) accurately so why criticize them by calling it FleaBay? You and most of the other guys here have probably bought a few things on there that were described accurately. I've sold over 30,000 items on there since 1999 and have made a very nice living thanks to them so cut them some slack with the childish nicknames.... :wub:

First, this is a 3 year old thread title.

Second, your point is taken, it was probably not the best choice I could have made for a thread title.

Third, this is not the first error in judgement I've made.

Fourth, it probably won't be the last either.

45 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

eBay couldn't care less about sellers

I agree that it sucks that a buyer can leave a neutral or negative feedback for a seller but the seller can't do the same for a non-paying "buyer." But if you want to list something that will be seen by tens of millions of people in 6 continents then where else can you go? Plus one day a few years ago I received a check for over $700 from some class action lawsuit that someone filed regarding their listing fees so that was cool. They're not perfect but nobody is forcing people to use their site to sell things so they can try another site if they want. Like my dad told me when I was a kid: "My house, my rules." :)