hagster

Newbie ROA member just bought a 65 Riviera

jsgun    28

The grease they used (lubriplate?) seems to turn into a glue. I had to use lacquer thinner to get it removed. My seat motor transmission was literally glued together, had to pry it apart. I think you'll love the removable door skins, it makes it incredibly easy to service the door windows. Even the quarter windows are fairly easy to service.

KongaMan    93
42 minutes ago, jsgun said:

The grease they used (lubriplate?) seems to turn into a glue. I had to use lacquer thinner to get it removed. My seat motor transmission was literally glued together, had to pry it apart. I think you'll love the removable door skins, it makes it incredibly easy to service the door windows. Even the quarter windows are fairly easy to service.

I'd echo that.  A day spent refurbing the windows and power seat would be a day well spent.  Pop the door skins, clean and lube the rollers, tracks, and gears.  Repeat that on the rear windows.  Pull the seat, take off the mechanism, and refurb it as well.  The key is the cleaning; that old, hardened Lubriplate is the cause of ~95% of window and seat performance problems.

hagster    1

Not posi but I wanted to see if I could figure out the ratio. 3 over 2 and 04D. Would this mean 3:23 ratio? With a date code of some sort?

IMG_20170425_203524.jpg

1965rivgs    46
6 hours ago, hagster said:

Not posi but I wanted to see if I could figure out the ratio. 3 over 2 and 04D. Would this mean 3:23 ratio? With a date code of some sort?

IMG_20170425_203524.jpg

Yes, 3:23. Good gear

Tom

hagster    1

Thanks Tom,

I didn't see any tags on the rear springs. I haven't checked the fronts yet. Is there anything else I look for to confirm the H2 option?

-Allen

RivNut    906

Lock to lock on the steering wheel.  You can look back to Tom's post #25 for how many turns lock to lock the "handling package" has when compared to the standard steering.

1965rivgs    46
8 hours ago, hagster said:

Thanks Tom,

I didn't see any tags on the rear springs. I haven't checked the fronts yet. Is there anything else I look for to confirm the H2 option?

-Allen

Allen,

Chances are better you will find a tag on the front springs...they just seem to survive there more readily than the rears...maybe because the rear springs are changed out more frequently, especially in the first gen models.

Nothing else to look for that I know of,

Tom

hagster    1

Is pulling the door skins the best way to get to the window motors and mechanisms? Makes me a little nervous for some reason. This is unique and foreign to me. Guess I'm worried about scratching or messing things up somehow.

The driver side door is missing a skin stud and there is one that is loose and spins in place. I didn't look at them all. Hoping these are the only ones with issues. Are these easily replaceable?

The driver side door handle is a little loose. Driver vent window is not working either. Will be nice to get things working like new.

Can anyone recommend a weather strip supplier?

Lot's of questions already...

Thanks in advance!

RivNut    906

Not only the best way but the ONLY way.  There are some steps to follow in removing the skin.  Do a search of previous threads and you can find them.  There are probably suggestions for removing those that are spinning as well.  The studs are not something you'll find at your local Ace Hardware store.  Gene Guarnere had some reproduced and can supply them to you. He advertises in the Riview.

Ed