Newbie ROA member just bought a 65 Riviera

hagster

Hi Everyone,

New ROA member as of about a month ago. New Riviera owner this week.

I've been watching the adds for quite a while now for a 65. I missed out on a couple of opportunities over the last year or so because they sold fast. Now I'm glad I did miss them.  I'm very excited to have this one now, it appears to be an unusual one and is the reason I jumped at purchasing. I had it shipped up to Washington and received it on Tuesday 04/17. Take a look and see what you think. Many options, including rare ones. It needs a quite a bit of work mechanically but it's a California car and I'm hoping all the metal is good, it appears to be. Around 28000 miles on the odometer (rolled over). The plan is to get everything working as it should again then work on restoring. I'm sure it will be a many year project but, I'm looking forward to it.

The add is still up if you want more details but it's sold. Numbers do match. Came with some documentation (Owners manual, Protection Plan booklet with the car portion of the Protect-O-Plate and registrations from some of the previous owners.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/6045789526.html

Have you ever seen a plaque on the console stating "Custom Built For (original owners name)"?

Here is what I decoded. Not sure what some things are...

Protect-O-Plate:

X-232    
T-343   FB_36399
00 628 Z
C60 A31 K30 U69

X - Super Wildcat - 232 (Date code?)
T - (BT) Transmission - 343 (Date code?)
00 - Special paint
628 - Interior trim  

Z - Jan 1965?

C60 - AC
A31 - Power Windows
K30 - Cruise Control
U69 - AM/FM Radio

Cowl Tag:
12B
ST 65-49447 FB 36399 BODY
TR 628    SCO-102 * PAINT
EXNTS-2KR-3T-50

12B - December, 2nd week.
65 - Model year 1965   
49447 - (4 - buick, 1 model series, 19 Body Style)
628 - Trim, Black Vinyl - custom interior
SCO - Special Car Order? - 102?
* - ?
E - EZI Glass All
X - Power Window (Except Vents)
N - Power Window (Vents Only)
T - 4 way power seat
S - Automatic Trunk Release

2:
K - Air Conditioner
R - Rear Seat Speaker

3:
T - Rear seat arm rest

50 - Seat belt delete

It looks like the original color was a darkish burgundy. Can't tell by the Cowl tag.

Options not included in codes above:
Guide-Matic headlight control
Wood steering wheel
4 note horn
Cruise Control
Wire wheel hub caps with spinners

Rear seat arm rest

H2 Ride and Handling Including Modified Steering and Suspension

323 gears, non-posi

Can't wait to start the tinkering...

00j0j_5qIREBKPD0L_1200x900.jpg

01616_fLLFr8Ip2tG_1200x900.jpg

Edited by hagster
Updated codes and other options. (see edit history)

Hagster,

You have a very unusual `65. You are correct re the SCO referring to "special car order". The number after the code refers to the job number so to determine the exact original paint code one would need to have access to some original paperwork. Of course, there is investigative technique which will also net a very educated guess if conducted well..

The "00" paint code on the POP is the code listed in the `65 shop manual for special paint.

The "Z" on the POP is the month of delivery.

The "50" on the Fisher Body tag is for "seat belt delete" which is also very unusual.

Very cool and unusual `65!

Tom Mooney

Nice car you have there and loaded up!  Your car is one of 454 non-GS Riviera's equipped with the Super Wildcat engine.  The "built expressly for" plaque can still be found on numerous first generation Riviera's so yours could be original although reproduction ones were available for a while.  The horn bar for the wood wheel can be a fragile piece if it is original so go easy on it if you have to use it.  The posi's have a metal tag attached to the drain/fill plug indicating a special fluid is needed.  Good luck with it and keep us posted.  Welcome to the world of ROA.

Congratulations and welcome to the ROA and the Forum. My Dad special ordered a new 65 Riviera in July 64 and it was delivered to us with

the "custom built for" plaque installed on the console with my Dad's name on it. I am not sure if it was installed in Flint or if the dealership installed it

after the car arrived there. In 1963 and 1964 the plaque said "built expressly for" In 1965 it was changed to read "custom built for".

Your car is very special due to it's optional equipment, so you made a great find.....that is a keeper.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Congratulations on the purchase and Welcome to ROA and aboard the forum! Yes things have a way or working out in the end don't they. Your persistence and patience paid off. What a wonderful car even at full asking price. Thanks for posting the link with pics.

I can already see that car would make a great Showcase article for the Riview magazine.

The 3T on your data plate is for the rear arm rest.  Find some sand and punch it; see if one tire spins or both of them.  Posi tags sometimes get lost during fluid changes.  As Pat says, the horn bars are fragile.  Best use is to push up from the back. That way you're not pushing the bar away from the hub.  Keep us up to date as you get into it.

Ed

Edited by RivNut
effing predictive text (see edit history)

Once again, congratulations on a nice find and welcome.  In addition to Ed's advice on the horn bar, I'll add that he would also advise that you turn the battery around in the tray to get the positive terminal farther away from the hood support when closed.  You have ghost flames already, so sparks aren't necessary...  ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Congratulations and welcome to the ROA and the Forum. My Dad special ordered a new 65 Riviera in July 64 and it was delivered to us with

the "custom built for" plaque installed on the console with my Dad's name on it. I am not sure if it was installed in Flint or if the dealership installed it

after the car arrived there. In 1963 and 1964 the plaque said "built expressly for" In 1965 it was changed to read "custom built for".

Your car is very special due to it's optional equipment, so you made a great find.....that is a keeper.

There was  a pamphlet/foldout/order form which was given to new Riviera owners. They could send away for the plaque inscribed as they desired. This pamphlet was also available to used car buyers so the name on any given plaque does not necessarily have to be the original owner`s name. I suppose it is possible any dealer could have submitted the plaque order as a personalized service to new car customers and installed it before delivery but I suspect the majority of plaques were mail ordered by the owner after taking delivery of the new car at the dealership. I do not believe any plaques were installed by the factory.

Tom

9 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

There was  a pamphlet/foldout/order form which was given to new Riviera owners. They could send away for the plaque inscribed as they desired. This pamphlet was also available to used car buyers so the name on any given plaque does not necessarily have to be the original owner`s name. I suppose it is possible any dealer could have submitted the plaque order as a personalized service to new car customers and installed it before delivery but I suspect the majority of plaques were mail ordered by the owner after taking delivery of the new car at the dealership. I do not believe any plaques were installed by the factory.

Tom

Here are pictures of that order form that was given to new Riviera owners.

Bill

58fb4055d25ea_RivieraIDPlate1.thumb.jpg.f1e84f0750bb3da4e178692f4ba83337.jpg58fb406199f21_RivieraIDPlate2.thumb.jpg.ca641d22250ae0231a011037daa56894.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the Community ! GREAT score ! i'M  a Boatail guy but the 65's are just awesome with hide aways,  Lots of good info here for 63, 4, 5. Everybody is happy to help. Don't be shy. There are some real good early year guys here.

As everyone else said, Congratulations, very nice find!

And ... Welcome to the ROA!

I also have one of the 454 non GS with the LX 425 in it, mine is the same as yours as far as the BT transmission, and it does NOT have a POSI. It could have been ordered but would not have come with it by just ordering the LX engine. And, the 1 of 454 I have does not have the quick ratio steering box either, that would have been the separate H2 option for the handling package. Mine isn't as well optioned as yours, and the colors are not as desirable either!

Even the '65 GS I have did not get the H2 package, it must have just been ordered with the GS option but not the handling package?

For the "SCO" on the body tag Tom is correct. I believe he assisted another member with some of the research to figure out the original color of their SCO '65. I have the same thing on my '72 GS and the code after the "SCO" is nothing more than a "job number", it does not give you the paint color. I even went to the Sloan to get info about that one, they could not tell me anything other than it was a special ordered color.

Good luck, have fun with it,

Hi Hagster,

Welcome to the Riviera forum and congratulations on your first Riviera. Looks a nice one with plenty of sort after options and nice colour. (Had a similar experience myself where I missed out on one only to end up with a much nicer Riviera.  What will be, will be!)

Enjoy your ride and enjoy this forum.

The forum, a workshop manual and a parts catalogue will be your best friends!?

Rodney

Welcome to Riviera ownership. Really nice one! Like the ghost flames. A set of Supreme's and pinstripe whitewalls and she'd look killer.

I picked my 64 up 6 months ago, and love it more and more every time I work on it. Very well built, interesting cars. Like said, get the repair manuals, they're worth it. I'd consider buying the CD versions, and print out the parts you need as you need them.

Edited by jsgun (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the congrats and welcome!

I have a bathroom remodel I'm working on so I cant really start playing until that is done. I do my own work on almost everything. I did take a little break to check out the rear end and steering. It does NOT have posi. How many steering wheel turns lock-to-lock for standard and "quick" steering? Mine seems to be a little less than 3 turns lock to lock. 

Fortunately the cars body and trim seems to be in nice shape but, drive train needs to be gone through. I was told the engine has low compression on a couple of cylinders but, I have't had a chance to check it out yet. I'll check it out sometime but am planning on an engine rebuild. After all was warmed up I did see some blue smoke coming out of the air cleaner at idle. Transmission should probably get a refresh too. Lots of rubber such as weather stripping and bushings need to be replaced. Every electric motor (windows, winshield wipers, electric seat) sound like they are working hard. I'l bet 52 year old grease is no longer helping along with the grime build up. Something I'll be tinkering with when I get the time. Other than the paint and exhaust everything seems to be original. Suspension is pretty soft, new springs will be going in likely with a 2" drop. Lots to do and I'm looking forward to it.

Glad to see a couple of local folks here too. I reside on the south end of Whidbey Island near the Clinton ferry.

Edited by hagster
update thanks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had the body and chassis service manuals before I bought the car. I knew I was going to get one and wanted to start learning about them before I got one.  I haven't looked for a parts manual though, I'll be doing that next.

Thanks again!

Allen

1 hour ago, hagster said:

Glad to see a couple of local folks here too. I reside on the south end of Whidbey Island near the Clinton ferry.

Allen,

Not sure if you have made contact with the ROA Regional Coordinator from WA yet or not, John A., his contact info is on the ROA website under the Regional News & Events tab. He is a great guy and owns a '63 and a '65 himself. John hosts an annual event ON Whidbey Island every September. The info he posts about it is ...

September 9 2017, Saturday – 16th ROA Fall Potluck held at Brian & Ellen O’Neil’s on Whidbey Island. This has always been such a great way to close summer events.  No registrations fees.  Bring a dish to share & enjoy the closing awards.  All makes & models are welcome.  We will have deep fried turkeys, fresh steamed oysters & an assortment of beverages. 

I'm sure he would be glad for you to join them, contact him and let him know if you are interested.

Just thought I would let you know just in case you weren't aware.

3 hours ago, hagster said:

I have a bathroom remodel I'm working on so I cant really start playing until that is done. I do my own work on almost everything. I did take a little break to check out the rear end and steering. It does NOT have posi. How many steering wheel turns lock-to-lock for standard and "quick" steering? Mine seems to be a little less than 3 turns lock to lock. 

Fortunately the cars body and trim seems to be in nice shape but, drive train needs to be gone through. I was told the engine has low compression on a couple of cylinders but, I have't had a chance to check it out yet. I'll check it out sometime but am planning on an engine rebuild. After all was warmed up I did see some blue smoke coming out of the air cleaner at idle. Transmission should probably get a refresh too. Lots of rubber such as weather stripping and bushings need to be replaced. Every electric motor (windows, winshield wipers, electric seat) sound like they are working hard. I'l bet 52 year old grease is no longer helping along with the grime build up. Something I'll be tinkering with when I get the time. Other than the paint and exhaust everything seems to be original. Suspension is pretty soft, new springs will be going in likely with a 2" drop. Lots to do and I'm looking forward to it.

Allen,

Standard steering box is about 3 and 7/8ths turns lock to lock. The quick box is 1 turn less at 2 and 7/8ths. Check your coil springs for a yellow paper tag which will have a part number on it. The tag will be apparent as you look at the spring, it may be up in the pocket. Because your car is a CA car it is quite likely at least one of the tags will still be in place and readable. If your car was built with the quick steering box it should also have been built with the "super duty" springs. Both features were part of the H2 steering/suspension package most often found on the GS models but possibly ordered on any Riv.

Tom Mooney

The grease they used (lubriplate?) seems to turn into a glue. I had to use lacquer thinner to get it removed. My seat motor transmission was literally glued together, had to pry it apart. I think you'll love the removable door skins, it makes it incredibly easy to service the door windows. Even the quarter windows are fairly easy to service.

42 minutes ago, jsgun said:

The grease they used (lubriplate?) seems to turn into a glue. I had to use lacquer thinner to get it removed. My seat motor transmission was literally glued together, had to pry it apart. I think you'll love the removable door skins, it makes it incredibly easy to service the door windows. Even the quarter windows are fairly easy to service.

I'd echo that.  A day spent refurbing the windows and power seat would be a day well spent.  Pop the door skins, clean and lube the rollers, tracks, and gears.  Repeat that on the rear windows.  Pull the seat, take off the mechanism, and refurb it as well.  The key is the cleaning; that old, hardened Lubriplate is the cause of ~95% of window and seat performance problems.

8 hours ago, hagster said:

Thanks Tom,

I didn't see any tags on the rear springs. I haven't checked the fronts yet. Is there anything else I look for to confirm the H2 option?

-Allen

Allen,

Chances are better you will find a tag on the front springs...they just seem to survive there more readily than the rears...maybe because the rear springs are changed out more frequently, especially in the first gen models.

Nothing else to look for that I know of,

Tom

Is pulling the door skins the best way to get to the window motors and mechanisms? Makes me a little nervous for some reason. This is unique and foreign to me. Guess I'm worried about scratching or messing things up somehow.

The driver side door is missing a skin stud and there is one that is loose and spins in place. I didn't look at them all. Hoping these are the only ones with issues. Are these easily replaceable?

The driver side door handle is a little loose. Driver vent window is not working either. Will be nice to get things working like new.

Can anyone recommend a weather strip supplier?

Lot's of questions already...

Thanks in advance!

Not only the best way but the ONLY way.  There are some steps to follow in removing the skin.  Do a search of previous threads and you can find them.  There are probably suggestions for removing those that are spinning as well.  The studs are not something you'll find at your local Ace Hardware store.  Gene Guarnere had some reproduced and can supply them to you. He advertises in the Riview.

Ed