Valve Guides by Size???

GrahamPaige29

Hi guys.  I'm restoring my 1929 Graham Paige Model 612.  I bashed out the worn valve guides and would like to replace them.  Just wondering if there's a way to search for new ones by OD and ID.  All the old ones have an outside diameter of .6888".  I went to my local NAPA store with a guide in hand but they looked at me like I was green.  "We need a part number."  Sorry, don't have one.

Geoff

No surprise there. If it ain't got a number that's in their computer,.... the autoparts store guys are lost.

Have you tried contacting EGGE in California ? They are not just pistons for old engines - they also make guides, valves, and other antique engine parts.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Glad you got the guides but thought I'd mention that not all napa stores are the same. My local store is old school and has stacks of old paper cross reference books and catalogs. When I needed valves for an old stationary engine my napa guy pulled an old book that listed valves by size in thousands of an inch and cross referenced them to part numbers. Didn't even look at the computer until it was time to order them............Bob

51 minutes ago, GrahamPaige29 said:

Hey Bob.  The guy at my Napa store here in Canada looked like he had better things to do than waste time talking to a customer!   Won't be going there again.

I think that's par for the course. I consider my local store a treasure......................Bob

On 4/19/2017 at 3:27 PM, GrahamPaige29 said:

Great info!  I was able to find them at Hagan's.  You wouldn't also know the part number for the piston rings would you?  Thanks a million!!!

I have data on the pistons, May help getting the rings. I have copied 2 pages since the second page goes by line numbers from the first page.  The 612 had 2 different piston sizes,

guides - pistons.pdf

I had the same problem finding valves and guides to fit my 1910 Mitchell. The valves and guides are in a box in my shop... I'll check and amend this post in a few hours to give you the contact info. If I remember correctly, they once had a size chart on their web site. It wasn't there the last time I looked but you can email them with the sizes you need and they will get right back to you. These folks also sell "blank" valves...

jp