WTB Automobile Quarterly Vol 46-Vol 52.most recent issues

I'm trying to complete a set of Automobile Quarterly, which many may know was a hardcover book published quarterly from 1962 (Vol 1-1) until 2012 (Vol 52-1). I have Volume 1 thru Volume 45 complete (180 issues). I also have Vol 46-1&3 and Vol 47-1. So I need 22 issues, being Vol 46-2&4, Vol 47-2,3&4, and all of Vol's 48,49,50,51, and Vol 52-1, the last issue published. Would prefer to buy in lots if possible to minimize shipping costs. A few of these are listed on eBay, but asking prices per issue combined with shipping typically exceed $40 per issue or higher. Most I have collected to date have cost in the range of $15 per issue  If anyone has some of these in good condition for sale, please let me know including asking price. Photo shows sample of books. Thanks.

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

Mr. Gunsmoke, you might want to include some

contact information, so people can reach you more easily.

Automobile Quarterlies are more reasonably priced today,

as collectors downsize their accumulations.  I've seen

at least 3 near-complete sets for sale for $300 to $325,

and in fact, bought Volumes 1-47 (188 issues) in perfect

condition, with indexes, for $325.  And those sets took

some time to sell even at those prices.

If you search this forum for the text, "Automobile Quarterly,"

you may find a few old threads with issues for sale.

Even the high-asking-priced issues may have come down to reality.

There was one inexpensive set in Canada, and even though time has passed,

it's probably still taking up space in someone's home.

You're right:  your best source is fellow hobbyists, but you

could likely find individual issues from a swap-meet dealer for

$5 to $7 apiece.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Thanks J-S-P. The reference you gave rom 2014 I may check out, if he still has them 3 years later he is unlikely to break up a complete set. For anyone with the issues I am looking for I can be reached at harold.dillon@bellaliant.net. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy to report I now have received all of the volumes of AQ I was seeking, except for 1, that being Vol 52-1 published in 2012, the very last issue (If anyone has one let me know). The above mentioned contact led to Mr John Denney of Bethpac Industries in Indiana and he was great to deal with. As per photo, he provided 18 issues still in their original shipping boxes, never opened. Anyone looking for these rare books should contact him. IMHO, AQ issues, although no longer being published, are a must for any serious classic car collector. Cheers

IMG_4789.JPG

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2017 at 9:03 AM, Gunsmoke said:

Happy to report I now have received all of the volumes of AQ I was seeking, except for 1, that being Vol 52-1 published in 2012, the very last issue (If anyone has one let me know). The above mentioned contact led to Mr John Denney of Bethpac Industries in Indiana and he was great to deal with. As per photo, he provided 18 issues still in their original shipping boxes, never opened. Anyone looking for these rare books should contact him. IMHO, AQ issues, although no longer being published, are a must for any serious classic car collector. Cheers

IMG_4789.JPG

I did the very same thing... I had stopped buying AQ at vol. 44, no. 4 then recently found out that AQ had stopped publishing so I went on quest to buy the missing issues. I too found Mr. Denney and bought all issues from 45-1 to 51-4 inclusively... Which means that I am ALSO LOOKING FOR THE LAST ISSUE... VOL. 52, NO. 1

So Mr. Gunsmoke, if you get more than one reply to your search, I'd be very appreciative if you would pass on the seller's info to me.

Regards

My52Chebby

13 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I got 52-1 from AACA Library 7 or 8 months ago, so I have them all now!! I think I paid them $70+shipping for it. Give them a call, they may still have one kicking around.

I registered on AACA, I should have ages ago... Aren't they the same club that put on the Hershey swap meets?

After reading your reply and registering I search the website until I was blue in the face but to no avail. 

This past weekend I missed an eBay auction that had 52-1 in it but it also had Vol. 51, 1 to 4 which I already had... Yes, I could have bought it and resold the Volume 51 issues but unfortunately I completely missed the end of the auction as we had company and I forgot.

I just recently purchase a whole bunch of back issues from the Society of Automotive Historians (Vol 45 through Vol 51 inclusively) and just today I also bought 7 AQ storage boxes from SAH @ $10/each plus shipping (all told, $630. us in the last month to "nearly" complete my collection). 

Gunsmoke, if you do see that last issue anywhere please let me know from this post, I will be notified of any replies.

Thanks for you help.

Regards

My52Chebby

14 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I got 52-1 from AACA Library 7 or 8 months ago, so I have them all now!! I think I paid them $70+shipping for it. Give them a call, they may still have one kicking around.

Do you have a phone number for AACA?

Thanks

My52Chebby