'39 commander upholstery

As for vent rubber surrounds, 1938 shares their body with 1939. I don't know if that makes it any easier to find a substitute, but that would be a direct substitution. I was thinking that Steele had some made up, but not sure today. Also Metro rubber parts used to have some specialty items like these, but I think that they have reduced their offerings to mostly weather stripping. If you find something please publish it here. I for one would like to know, because I have a 1939 Commander coupe that may need some. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

As for vent rubber surrounds, 1938 shares their body with 1939. I don't know if that makes it any easier to find a substitute, but that would be a direct substitution. I was thinking that Steele had some made up, but not sure today. Also Metro rubber parts used to have some specialty items like these, but I think that they have reduced their offerings to mostly weather stripping. If you find something please publish it here. I for one would like to know, because I have a 1939 Commander coupe that may need some. 

Wow! I sure hope so!! Going to call and find out... I was told 38 and 39 are different...Hopefully that is wrong!! 

17 hours ago, Pastor Matt said:

I was told 38 and 39 are different...Hopefully that is wrong!! 

Sounds like a Body Parts Catalog would be an enormous benefit to you. I wouldn't be without one.

The rear quarter windows w/moulding, ventilator type, are the same in 7A, 9A, 5C. The Frame w/glass is the same for these models, as is the frame w/handle. The weatherstrip is the same for 7A, 8A, 9A, 4C & 5C, both left and right. The F body weatherstrips are different to the sedan but the same for F bodies of the models noted earlier.

7 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Sounds like a Body Parts Catalog would be an enormous benefit to you. I wouldn't be without one.

The rear quarter windows w/moulding, ventilator type, are the same in 7A, 9A, 5C. The Frame w/glass is the same for these models, as is the frame w/handle. The weatherstrip is the same for 7A, 8A, 9A, 4C & 5C, both left and right. The F body weatherstrips are different to the sedan but the same for F bodies of the models noted earlier.

Absolutely and your are correct, the biggest problem is that no manufacturer makes the seal for the 38 (I have an 8A body) trying to find if anyone out there knows of an alternate that will work or someone with NOS (tried many companies) fishing for someone who might know someone and hope we are getting closer :-)

Thank you so much for your help and sharing the info.

On 7/21/2017 at 6:13 PM, fh4ever said:

Pastor Matt, have you figured out how the seat adjuster works? I have my front seat out of the car now.  I can send a pic or two if you need it. 

I did not.  I have pictures.. everything I have is in place.. I have to be missing a part.. do you have pictures??  Thank you so much!! This is so helpful!

Pastor matt..hope yours is like mine ('38 vs '39),,,.....this is ....

20170723_132929.thumb.jpg.dcc0aee4048ffee7ff4c8ce6a34dc767.jpg

is connected to this.....

20170723_132826.thumb.jpg.c1dea964c763b38f2cffc4b05d55a3a2.jpg

and it fits in a notch in the rail...here the rail is move just a little so you can see the "notch" and how the lever should engage the notch.   

20170723_133302.thumb.jpg.f9cd21c1f7265863be9d4944e35aeb6a.jpg

If yours is not working, it might be like mine...the lever where it pivots is froze.  I am going to put some oil on mine ...quite sure that will loosen it up.  It does not appear to that rusty after all.  let me know if you need more.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fh4ever said:

Pastor matt..hope yours is like mine ('38 vs '39),,,.....this is ....

20170723_132929.thumb.jpg.dcc0aee4048ffee7ff4c8ce6a34dc767.jpg

is connected to this.....

20170723_132826.thumb.jpg.c1dea964c763b38f2cffc4b05d55a3a2.jpg

and it fits in a notch in the rail...here the rail is move just a little so you can see the "notch" and how the lever should engage the notch.   

20170723_133302.thumb.jpg.f9cd21c1f7265863be9d4944e35aeb6a.jpg

If yours is not working, it might be like mine...the lever where it pivots is froze.  I am going to put some oil on mine ...quite sure that will loosen it up.  It does not appear to that rusty after all.  let me know if you need more.  

Those are some incredible shots!! Unfortunately, totally different setup in my 38 :-( however, this thread is going to be so useful for folks searching! Thank you for sending the pictures. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:46 PM, SC38DLS said:

Fh4ever. Life got in the way on the door panels. Hope to start them next week. Also need to figure out why the drivers side rear door window only goes half way down. The passenger side rear goes all the way down. My riding buddy has to use the rear vent window. 

IMG_0002.JPG

mine does the exact same thing did ya figger out what was wrong? my blue heeler wants to hang out it !!! lol

Goatboy I have not gotten to it as I had a head gasket blow and have had to deal with that, life and work. I did get the window to go completely down by accident. If you wiggle the crank back & forth it worked. I think that is telling me the gear is out of alignment or loose. If I find out I'll let you know. At least the mutt doesn't just have to use the wing window. 

On 8/25/2017 at 8:09 PM, SC38DLS said:

Welcome back hope you had a good time. Has the car come out of the paint booth yet?  We need pics of so. 

Not yet... decided to strip it down to metal and reprime then block/prime and paint.... trust me... I'm anxious too!!! Pics coming soon!!! Gotta find those 2 crazy seals!!!

Pastor Matt, are your seals out of the car? did they crumble?  I have been wondering if someone could make a mold from an old set.  Mine will crumble if I try to remove them.  So they will stay intact and not get the awaiting new glass until I find the seals too.   

51 minutes ago, fh4ever said:

Pastor Matt, are your seals out of the car? did they crumble?  I have been wondering if someone could make a mold from an old set.  Mine will crumble if I try to remove them.  So they will stay intact and not get the awaiting new glass until I find the seals too.   

Unfortunately, they are completely GONE.. not one shred available or left.. not to mention... some of the folks I've talked to about the molding process are starting at $400 and up easily.. can't afford that.. really hoping we can find someone who has a set on a shelf somewhere or someone who will finally be able to share what other option would work (for example.. a 41 Buick might work a 37 Chevy would work.. etc..) haven't been able to even see what a close fit would be and then modify it.... tough quest for sure!!!

I have heard on this site or the other one that there was someone that loaned a good set to someone to make a mold...then that person fell off the face of the earth...with the original seals.   Maybe someone here knows of this story/outcome?  

22 minutes ago, fh4ever said:

I have heard on this site or the other one that there was someone that loaned a good set to someone to make a mold...then that person fell off the face of the earth...with the original seals.   Maybe someone here knows of this story/outcome?  

That would be incredible info for sure!!

PS.. I just started a new thread that I'd love for you to see and be on.. check it out.. I'm starting to catalog parts to the 38 since there is so much not out there and what is, is rather vague. Hoping it will help the next generation(s) and us!! :-)

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/297831-1938-studebaker-state-commander-8a-restoration/

Edited by Pastor Matt
added link (see edit history)

Pastor Matt & Fh4ever. I have been looking for the invoice on my seals with no luck. If possible take a look at a 37 or so Buick( I think it was a Buick I saw) . The rear wing looks close and may be able to be used. 

I beleive there is a fellow close to me redoing one but I haven't been able to trace him down yet. Will keep trying. 

Dave S 

The L5 doesn't have rear side windows so I don't have your problem. But I was wondering if you could cobble something together from shapes available from vendors. I know the front vent window rubbers are being reproduced: maybe look closely at those and work out the sections you need to make them work round the other way on the rear windows. Necessity is the mother of invention!

29 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

The L5 doesn't have rear side windows so I don't have your problem. But I was wondering if you could cobble something together from shapes available from vendors. I know the front vent window rubbers are being reproduced: maybe look closely at those and work out the sections you need to make them work round the other way on the rear windows. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Absolutely I have been trying all kinds of options for over a year... hoping to find the right one!

On 8/29/2017 at 7:58 PM, SC38DLS said:

Pastor Matt & Fh4ever. I have been looking for the invoice on my seals with no luck. If possible take a look at a 37 or so Buick( I think it was a Buick I saw) . The rear wing looks close and may be able to be used. 

I beleive there is a fellow close to me redoing one but I haven't been able to trace him down yet. Will keep trying. 

Dave S 

Thank you for the info and help! 

6 hours ago, rbk said:

I heard first hand from the man who sent those seals to him.. nothing I want to type in here, but yes, it was supposed to be him, it was many years ago.

Wow, very nice.

My Coupe Express has that dash but the wee panel under the middle with the light switch etc. is set up slightly differently.The key goes in one end, the push button starter is at the other, and there is a hand throttle and light switch. I see your key is off to the left of the steering column. I see now, you have a USB double plug in one side.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Wow, very nice.

My Coupe Express has that dash but the wee panel under the middle with the light switch etc. is set up slightly differently.The key goes in one end, the push button starter is at the other, and there is a hand throttle and light switch. I see your key is off to the left of the steering column. I see now, you have a USB double plug in one side.

Thank you. Yes, that was one slight mod made BEFORE I was able to locate those parts, so I turned them into something else. The switch to the right now operates newly installed under dash lights and the former headlight switch now operates the fog lights. ?

• 1 month later...

getting closer to do the seat upholstery.....wanted to know if anyone ever used Automotive Interiors and Accessories :

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/carpetcars/studebakers/stude.htm

They can supply the hog ring style seat covers for the '39 at about half the price of my local guy.  

Are there any other vendors you guys recommend that can supply pre-sewn seat covers?   

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to get the seat upholstery going but it has been slow.   Been looking around  and trying to decide on what kind of material and the color for the seats and door panels.  Been contacting suppliers and the local guy too.   very time consuming.     

SC38DLS...can you take some close up pics of your rear vent window seal on the outside?   in post #26 (pic with your riding buddy),  I think what I am looking at is the rubber lip over the body does not look smooth in the pic...I am wondering if that could be just shadows in the pic or if it could be the ford seal.   The ford seal goes more outward rather than over the lip....Carpenters said I might could pull the lip down over the body seam and glue it to the body.   

Cowtown....In post #15, you mentioned driver's and passenger's seat covers.  Mine is a bench seat, is yours split?  Thanks for helping me out on the window channel...so grateful to you.  

Trimacar....what is your advice on the seat cushion material replacement for my front seat, what to use and where to get it?  I understand you prefer not to use foam....the cotton-like material is in quite bad shape. 

Ernie Loga does not do the 39 commander seat covers.  I have been talking with automotive interiors though.  They only do the seat back and bottom and not the wooden seat frame for the front bench and their stitching pattern is not like the original (it dont have to be but I would prefer it).  I still would like to learn this skill for myself so I can say I did it.  Hopefully I can get this upholstery sorted out soon.    thanks all for your input.   

Fh4. I’ll take pics and post them here. FYI I have tried to find the invoice for these seals but must have packed them in the wrong box when we downsized- still have a lot of boxes in storage area I can’t get to. 

I did find cotton replacement cement for the seats online. As mine is a driver and not a show car and I didn’t want to spend the 8 grand the shop wanted to do the interior I learned how to use a sewing machine. It’s not great but very functional compared to the original material the fell apart every time you sat on it or moved on it. 

thanks sc38...I dont think that would be the ford seal, it looks like the rubber lip lays down nicely .  I think the ford lip would bulge and be uneven.  It also looks like the rear (sharp) corner is not cut and glued either which you would have to do with the ford.  

Mine are made for the 38 State Commander. We got them about 3 1/2 years ago. But I was getting so many parts  at that time I don’t remember where they came from. I got the rear window seals at the same time. I’m sure we used 2 or 3 places for all the rubber  on the car. If I find the invoice I will let you know.  Dls