Seat Belt Retractor

Can anyone explain how to remove the triangular shaped (body colored) cover that sits directly above the upper seat belt fastener and allows access to the seat belt retractor down at the floor level??

The TC Service Manual shows two finger-like protrusions on the inside of the cover which slide into fixed slots on the body. I have lifted the rear of the cover enough to free these but the front part of the cover does not come free. There seems to be another fastener under the front of the cover which I cannot see. I do not want to pry this up without knowing how it is fastened down. SUGESTIONS???

Those things are a serious PITA to take off, there are 3 studs/nuts.

You definitely need a deep well socket (8mm I think).

The *best* way to do it is to remove the interior trim piece below the seatbelt cover to gain access to what you need. Once you do that, then you can directly access the 3 small nuts that hold that part on. Yes, 2 of them are horizontal and face the rear of the car. The 3rd one is vertical, closer to the front, near the window guide. There's a *long* stud that has an access hole just below it so you can either use a wrench or a ratchet to get at it.

You are going to want to roll the 1/4 window down to make it easier to remove. The stainless steel slot that the belt goes through has a small "clip" on the bottom of it. This "clip" is actually a gap cover. Remove the clip and you can slide the belt through the slot and take the trim piece all the way off of the car.

This is all form memory, so I hope I got it right.

Thanks Marty but  I just needed to adjust the tension on the driver side belt because it was not retracting. However I do need the lower half of a timing belt cover for a 16 valve engine ( which you indicated you had when you replied to my post a couple of weeks ago ) and also a back up light switch for the Getrag transmission. I will call you this week with an order.

To Reaper--Your memory is pretty damn good. The set up is exactly as you described and as you said the key is to remove the interior trim piece.

Thanks to all for the help

Jim Bird