Rochester 4GC

Wooly15

An identical 4GC, actually. Bought a refurbished one and the bog was still there. Frustrated, I found a  gentlemen who is a retired carburetor guy who rebuilt/refurbished it and the bog is almost completely gone.  I'm going to mess with the timing a little bit to see if I can get it completely gone.

I rebuilt mine myself (both of them) after having three people go through mine. If you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself. You might want to hold on to that one, though. Just in case your current one decides to let a lead plug sink and you oil the top of the valley cover with unleaded gas.

7 minutes ago, Wooly15 said:

I tried myself twice and nothin'...handed it over to the pro's. I'm in no hurry to sell, promised the wife I'd try though. I only run ethenol free gas in mine. I've seen too many horror stories.

That's why I'm back to one carb now. When rebuilding yourself, you really gotta get the idle passages clean and make sure the correct check ball is where it's supposed to be. Also setting the floats with a ruler can be a serious pain in the ass because if I recall correctly, its of a 32nd of an inch... I eyeballed it to the least 16th so it wouldn't flood, but it's probably running a tad lean. Didn't have any issues running both this way and still have no issues now. One thing ethanol fuel does great is clean the carb out, that's for sure.

Anyways, I won't spam your thread anymore. It's a great carb when built right.

On 4/17/2017 at 10:30 AM, Wooly15 said:

I'm in no hurry to sell, promised the wife I'd try though.

Knowing about an extra carburetor seems like something outside the scope of a wife's knowledge.

Mine doesn't come out snoopin' around. Ever since the day she was innocently working in the flower bed near the garage. I snuck up behind and said "Whatcha doing by my garage little girl?"

And there wasn't a woodsman with an ax or a brother named Hansel to save her.

IMG_1189.thumb.JPG.b8bdd608116c09a42c8a054b93200ac2.JPG

She still keeps the front yard looking good. I guess it's safer.

• Like 2