POR-15 aluminum finish on new gas tank from Dorman?

drtidmore

I just got my new Dorman fuel tank and unlike the description which stated it was painted black, the exterior is coated with an aluminum finish of some kind. I don't think it is any type of regular paint as it will not leave a residue on your fingers when rubbed which is so common in aluminum paints.  It is a deep, glossy aluminum appearance, so I am wondering if Dorman has started doing a POR-15 finish as is SURE looks like POR-15.  

The inside baffle is VERY different than the OEM tank.  First off it is metal NOT plastic and second, it only goes up partway from the bottom of the tank.  I also notice that the sump is fed from a tube at the bottom once the tank level falls below the top of the baffle/sump (i.e. other than the tube, the sump is isolated from the rest of the tank below a certain level). 

I have the POR-15 gas tank sealer kit on hand and will be doing a cleaning and metal prep on the new tank interior prior to the POR-15 interior coating even though the tank is shiny and new inside as I don't want to give moisture any opportunity inside this new tank.  I can't complain about the OEM tank as it lasted 29 years and is still not leaking, but the ongoing corrosion/rust inside had to be dealt with and a new tank seamed the better option.