What are you doing with your car this weekend?

victorialynn2

Getting ready to sell off the older stuff. The hobby has changed so much that what was common growing up, is now considered an antique or old classic. I didn't consider myself as an antique, but the grandkids might think otherwise. Oh well, it was fun and I still enjoy the pre-'16 autos. 

Had a younger friend over to crank my 1911 Model T Ford. Taught him to drive it. Also fired up the 1912 McLaughlin Buick. He also drove it catching on to the double clutch quickly. Taking the T to Auburn. Hope to drive it around town Friday to see the ACD Museum after parking the my HPOF 1984 Tioga Motorhome I use to tow the T and other brass stuff. Also in the process of getting 6 of my cars running for my daughters wedding in June. The 36 Ford is next with a 40 year issue missing or not starting when hot. Probably going to give up and put on a modern 6 volt electronic distributor. Next weekend is tour in Eastern Cincinnati with 12 Clubs including our local AACA with 200 cars on four different routes starting with cars with coffee and ending 5 hours later with a cruise in. Taking the 70 Vette and letting my cranking friend drive the 67 Camaro.

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

Well down here is South Florida our season is pretty much over until the fall.  It is now to hot and humid with very unpredictable showers and thunderstorms to go out for more than a short ride.  We had a busy beginning of the year with 9 local shows and the A.A.C.A Winter Meet since January 1st.

Five of us in cars 69 to 92 years of age drove up the mountain to Highlands NC for the "Butts on the Bench" gathering of local Highlands antique car guys.  Beautiful day for a hill climb to 4118 feet, then out to lunch.

DSC03160.thumb.JPG.8bd1732ebfd253a9c3fa4a87da83f16c.JPG

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, JACK M said:

Picking up my new (old) ride in Tucson tomorrow and taking as many back roads as I can find on my way back to Oregon.

The journey is much more fun than the destination.

s-l200.jpg

Well, if anyone is interested, I made it.

The longest day was yesterday I drove from Manteca Cal to Newberg Oregon stopping to visit friends for an hour or so about mid way.

Was driving from 9:30 am till 2 am. long day, 633 miles at 55 to 57 MPH.

Started raining just about the Oregon line.

One of the wipers fell off so limped to an O'Rielys in the dark rain in Grants Pass and a nice kid there helped me to cobble something together.

Had to fish around under the dash to hook up a defroster hose and all was fine.

I did stop often to check oil and kick tires. I also made many fuel stops that may have been unnecessary but I wanted to keep a  good eye on the old girl.

Just under 1500 mile trip with a couple of short over night stops and a two nights at my brothers place in Palm Springs.

The Slant Six ran well and had plenty of power, just geared a bit low. I could run much faster but all of the harmonics fell into sync at 57 MPH.

Unfortunately my back road easy trip had to be changed to a more demanding ordeal but wouldn't have it any different now that its done.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 14/04/2017 at 9:19 PM, victorialynn2 said:

Well Pinky is being prissy and won't stay running. Probably a dirty carb and no time to fix before the show. She's grounded!

My fault as I haven't been running her in a while. Old cars get cranky when you ignore them for too long I guess. 

"Old cars get cranky when you ignore them for too long I guess" much like women I guess !?

• Like 1

Wow!  A Franklin Speedster, great project.  I hope you got some of the front sheet metal to facilitate the cooling in an air cooled car.  When it's done, try the Greatrace.  

We had a great time (with Robert Street) at the Tidewater Region hosted Old Dominion Meet at the beautiful Founders Inn here in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach vicinity.  There were nearly 150 vehicles on the show-field for an AACA style meet.  Vehicles from 1903 to the current allowable AACA year were on display including a good selection of Model Ts, motorcycles, muscle cars, even a great pair of antique delivery trucks brought all the way from PA for the meet.  A nice Friday ice-cream social, a great awards banquet were all sandwiched in between some rain.  Show-day was dry and warm.  I'll try to get a few more pics up in the Meets and Tours forum.   For those not aware, the Old Dominion Meet Association is a non-geographic AACA Region that is a non-governing body comprised of most AACA Regions and Chapters in the state of Virginia.  It was founded in 1953 and ever since, has sponsored an AACA styled meet that rotates among member clubs.  Some of the finest vehicles in the state (and neighboring states) turn up at these events.

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Joyce and I took the truck out for a short ride today.

Try this link.  https://www.facebook.com/robert.trail.33/videos/10206846997293270/

20170423_133333.jpeg

Seeing your truck at last years BCA meet in Allentown was one of the many highlights I will never forget!

1 minute ago, philip roitman said:

Seeing your truck at last years BCA meet in Allentown was one of the many highlights I will never forget!

If you are going to Milwaukee this year, look me up and I will give you a ride.  :)

Joyce and I took the truck out for a short ride today.

Try this link.  https://www.facebook.com/robert.trail.33/videos/10206846997293270/

20170423_133333.jpeg

• Like 1

Taking the SL to the Cars & Coffee in Newport, RI Saturday to be held at Rosecliff.  Then checking out the Audrain Museum in Newport which opened in late 16.  Anyone else going?  They hit the 250 car max registration so we hope to see some variety.

SL 3-4 view.jpg

• Like 1

Having driven the 1954 Cadillac convertible from New Orleans to Palm Springs, California for the AACA Western Spring Meet last month, we left the car there and went back so we could judge at the Charlotte Meet.

We returned to California this past Saturday, toured the Van Wenzel Studebaker/Pierce -Arrow collection with the Avanti folks.  Saw the home lived in by Raymond Loewy in Palm Springs - supposedly where he designed the Avanti- a historic site -

Drove the 1954 Caddy to Santa Monica to visit cousins. . Got a couple of photos at the Santa Monica Pier and Muscle Beach...

... then on the AACA Western National Tour in Tuolumne, just outside of Sonora, California on the Northwest edge of Yosemite National Park this week, we visited Tall Trees State Park - the stump I'm standing on is over 27ft in diameter - and look at the trunk laying over behind me - other shots while on tour.

Planning to drive the Columbia River Gorge Next Weekend, after hopefully visiting a nephew and also looking forward to a visit with Mark Shaw.

1954 Caddy at Santa Monica 3.JPG

1954 Caddy at Santa Monica 2.JPG

1954 Caddy at Santa Monica 1.JPG

TALL TREE - MARTY.jpg

TALL TREES STATE PARK.jpg

Loewy House.jpg

1954 Caddy - Western Tour 2017.jpg

• Like 1