What are you doing with your car this weekend?

victorialynn2

Show season is underway in Texas. I'm getting Pinky all cleaned up for a car show. Seems weird to be going without dad though. 

I will post pictures after the show. Are there any shows where you are this weekend? Do you plan to go for a drive or work on your car?

If you celebrate Easter, may you have a joyous day!

image.jpg

• Like 3

In Pennsylvania, the car season is pretty much

kicked off by the Spring Carlisle flea market and car corral.

It's not this week-end, but it is this coming week, April 19-23.

Though it is not as big as it was years ago, it's still very large

and worth traveling to.  And it gets the enthusiasm building

for the season!

I make my own car activities.  In nice weather, even before

the car season starts, I've already had my antique cars out

for drives numerous times.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

With lawn work kicking in and the phone ringing, my car activity will be limited (no pun intended) to polishing up the rear bumper I uncovered in the back of the garage that needs some attention. 

58f0c765c3136_1958BuickLimited-rearbumper-April92017-pic3.thumb.JPG.ed86978f95a90973449e203a53f6d863.JPG

It is supposed to be in the 70's, time to thaw out some steaks, fire up the BBQ and turn on the tunes!:D

• Like 1

Several guys with Pre-WWII cars are going to drive up the Cullasaja River Gorge to "Butts on the Bench" in Highlands, NC..  It's their version of Cars & Coffee on Saturday morning.  Last weekend we took 14 cars and 28 people south into Georgia to try out another

eatery and some Georgia mountain back roads, It's the season to go out and see spring in the mountains before the Tourists come.

Even though it's "Tourist Season" we're not allowed to shoot them.

• Like 4

Good weekend to figure out what the vibration is from about 30mph and up.  Hope it is just the broken clutch return spring that I hope arrives today. If not that then I need to start pulling wheels check bearings and steering so no having driving fun just garage fun 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Even though it's "Tourist Season" we're not allowed to shoot them.

Well that hardly seems fair Paul! LMBO. Please post some pics when you can!

John, you sound like my dad. He'd go to car shows but mostly preferred going for a nice drive with his wives. He's had a lot of them but obviously not all at the same time. ?

Dei, a steak BBQ sounds delicious. I will have to settle for the brisket BBQ that's thrown in for the exhibitors at the event I'm going to. It's TX, so I'm counting on it being good also. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Good weekend to figure out what the vibration is from about 30mph and up.  Hope it is just the broken clutch return spring that I hope arrives today. If not that then I need to start pulling wheels check bearings and steering so no having driving fun just garage fun 

I have a shimmy in Pinky too which is another reason I don't drive her much. I think the tires might be messed up from sitting too long. Want to buy new Coker white walls but I heard they don't stay white anymore. I only have to go 1 mile so I should be ok. 

Hope your issue is a simple fix! 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

For me it's the same thing I have done all winter.  Stare at them through the clear car covers while i try to get more wainscoting up in the garage.   I'm just digging out a whole new batch to finish now.  I burnt up the old vacuum as a dust collector so I had to buy a new one,  and purchased a gizmo called the dust deputy that is suppose to trap the sawdust and keep it from plugging the vacuum filter.   I'll let you all know if it works or just another gimmick. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

For me it's the same thing I have done all winter.  Stare at them through the clear car covers while i try to get more wainscoting up in the garage.   I'm just digging out a whole new batch to finish now.  I burnt up the old vacuum as a dust collector so I had to buy a new one,  and purchased a gizmo called the dust deputy that is suppose to trap the sawdust and keep it from plugging the vacuum filter.   I'll let you all know if it works or just another gimmick. 

Well that sounds about as much fun as what I should be doing this weekend. (Continuing to clean out the garages. I sold the 4000 sq ft one and am trying to consolidate into the 3200 sq ft one.)

I say take a short break at least. Maybe a drive for an ice cream cone after working all day?

• Like 2

There is a parade for Antique Cars in Garden City Long Island NY on Easter Sunday, this year it will be warm and should draw close to 500 cars. It has has been going for over 60 years, I remember doing this with my Dad in his Model A in the late 60's. I am going to take one of the cars  not sure which one yet.

I should say it used to be for antique cars now it is a parade that they take any car in as long as they take money from the owner

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I say take a short break at least. Maybe a drive for an ice cream cone after working all day?

And when you do I know you will be thinking of your Dad. 

Enjoy the moments.

Doug

• Like 1

John348 accurately describes the Garden City Easter parade, it used to be fun and also an "antique" car parade. I have not attended in over a decade, due to it now being an "any car" parade, and the fact you are being charged to drive in the parade so people can look at your car on Easter just bothers me. Never a day here where you can attend an event to let people look at your car and then your are charged to display it.

As a good friend once commented "Frank Sinatra never paid anyone to let them hear him sing so why should we pay people to have them look at our cars?"

But all is not lost, the cruise nights start up soon and the ones I go to don't charge you any $. The one in Garden City Park, L.I. on Wednesday nights on Jericho Tpke is where you will find me most weeks at a cruise night from now on.

• Like 3

I just snuck out of the back of the garage, between the Packard and the Riviera, with the new John Deere. Cost more than either one, but not more than both combined.

I got a feeling it won't be as much fun to drive,

Bernie

• Like 1

Top's already down on the MGTC so we can join some other Tidewater Region AACA members for a run down to Elizabeth City NC for a tour of the museum and the town.  Of course there will be food involved!   If it rains we'll take the MGBGT but in any case, it's a weekend, and it's time to join our friends and play with an old car!

Terry

• Like 1

Have been doing yard work all this week. Headed to sprint car races tonight. Will probably have several cars out this weekend. 1948 Chevrolet Aerosedan and 1948 Ford Woodie are on the top of the list. Might even get out the 1912 Mitchell for Easter Sunday. Spring has sprung! Happy Motoring to you all!

48chev6.jpg

48wood2.jpg

12mitch1.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Well that sounds about as much fun as what I should be doing this weekend. (Continuing to clean out the garages. I sold the 4000 sq ft one and am trying to consolidate into the 3200 sq ft one.)

I once bought a garage from the highway department, only cost me a dollar and then I had to move it. Most expensive dollar I ever spent.

• Like 2

IMAG0169_zps4be69c4b.jpg.12681d822bd5ee41165969054c8a3c3f.jpgMoved the  '74 Porsche out of the storage Garage to the attached to the house Garage for final prepping for the all Porsche Swap and Meet at Hershey next weekend. April 21 is a gathering of 914's for a Cruise Fridays, followed by Saturday's Swap Meet & Concourse Show for Porsche's of all ages and Models. This is an annual event and there will be over 1,000 Porches there from all over the the country.  Mine just needs Cleaning and Waxing.

The "68 AMC/AMX is still in the outer Garage. I woke it up, drove it checked fluids and kicked the tires. It needs to be ready for the AMC National Meet in Gettysburg in June for Concourse Judging. There's very little to be done other then Cleaning and Waxing, the drivers seat has a couple threads that I need to stick, and glue, back into the seam holes they pulled out of. Also need to touch up the Wiper Motor on the Fire Wall. 

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

John348 accurately describes the Garden City Easter parade, it used to be fun and also an "antique" car parade. I have not attended in over a decade, due to it now being an "any car" parade, and the fact you are being charged to drive in the parade so people can look at your car on Easter just bothers me. Never a day here where you can attend an event to let people look at your car and then your are charged to display it.

As a good friend once commented "Frank Sinatra never paid anyone to let them hear him sing so why should we pay people to have them look at our cars?"

But all is not lost, the cruise nights start up soon and the ones I go to don't charge you any $. The one in Garden City Park, L.I. on Wednesday nights on Jericho Tpke is where you will find me most weeks at a cruise night from now on.

Hey Walt,

Remember when Westbury Gardens was "special"? I remember when my father was too embarrassed to park his stock original Model A on the show field because he felt it was not good enough to sit out on the field, now it has been ruined in the past several years. There would never be a hot rod let alone a "rat-rod" now the hands are out taking money and letting anything in that pays. I still pre-register and bring a car, but we make it a social event I park with some other members from The Long Island Region of the Vintage Chevrolet Club and make a day of it, just display. The judging part is a joke, and the sad part is some people think (including those who run it) that it AACA Judging.

I still go to the Easter Parade and bring a car, brings back memories of my Mother and Father

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Sounds like a great time. Have fun!

Thanks, I always try to.

A suitcase full of tools that I hope I don't need. You know the deal "if I have it I wont need it"

I do have a new fuel sender in the suitcase. I already know that I need that.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Guest rb1949

77° is time to abandon indoor chores. Hopefully a quick jalopy repair and maybe a ride to the beach. Local cruise in should start attracting participants soon. Get some yard/garden work done. Everyone should plant at least ONE tomato!!  Have a great weekend.

Hi John

Yes I remember when Westbury Gardens was special, before that it was held at Salisbury Park (now Eisenhower Park) in East Meadow and that was a fun event.

I have never ever had any interest in showing my cars to see if they could win an award. Athough I have owned at least three pre war cars that have won (prior owners)  or could have won (cars I restored ground up)  national awards I always put a "display only, do not judge" sign in the windshield. Decades ago Joe Percoco of the GNYR came up to me at Westbury Gardens when I had my 1931 Franklin Derham bodied victoria there and pulled me aside to say - "you know if you took that display only sign down you are in contention for an award, your car is beautiful."  He already knew what my answer would be, the sign stayed in the windshield. Joe was one of the good guys.  I would drive that car each year for decades to the annual Franklin Club meet that is 300+ miles away and back, plus tour with it with that club for a week. Usually put on 1,200 miles in a week all total. All this took place in August in 80+ degree heat. When I sold the car after 43 years of ownership to a friend I had driven it over 50,000 miles.

I am about to get my latest "toy" back from a friend who has a restoration shop in Ridgefield, Ct. He went through my 1930 Packard bumper to bumper to make sure it was totally reliable mechanically . The car has an AACA 1st place award plaque on it from 1982, but since it was restored until now has sat in two collections in climate controlled storage and was not really used at all due to it being "in pristine condition" according to a prior owner. Well, to each his own, but I expect to drive that car more miles in the first three months when it is back here then it was driven in the last 35 years. There is just something about driving an older car down the road day or night that makes you step back from the everyday mumbo jumbo and think - ok, this is good.

Walt