Rear inner fender well bumps on a 1964 Riviera - what's behind them?

first64riv

Hey all,

Before I pull the rear interior side panel, does anyone know what the bumps/humps on the rear inner fender well are?  If you run your hand under the rear fender you could feel on bump on each side.  I just want to know what is behind it because I want to hammer it down or grind it off.

Thank you in advance.

Chris

I don't have a good picture of it.  However, I did grind it after I saw how much of a pain it was going to be remove the rear interior panel.  If you look under the fender (Alini I know you can't do this anymore :() but you can clearly see the bumps/humps on the vertical surface of the fender well.

Warning - my fender fell off!  Just kidding!  I used a grinder and slowly grinded it down.  I kept feeling it to make sure I wouldn't break through.  When the metal got softer and softer I started using a hand file.  I only grinded enough to clear my sidewall and I never broke through.  I haven't taken it for a spin to confirm if I removed enough metal but I plan to today or tomorrow.  The weather is going to be great!

I'm confused.  Are these bumps stamped into the fender wall?  And is the problem that they're rubbing against the sidewall because you've lowered the car and/or installed larger tires?  If so, it's hard to see how grinding them down could make appreciable difference.  That is, if you didn't go all the way through, you only removed a small fraction of an inch.  One might think that normal deflection of the tire would be far greater than that.

I'm confused about your bumps.  Are the protruding into the wheel well so the tire could run against or are they protruding into the trunk as of something flew off the tire or the tire hit?  Are you saying outboard so not visibile on the quarter panel?   

Kongaman - The car is lowered.  The sidewalls are hitting the humps.  I'm hoping the little bit that I was able to grind off will do it.  I have spacers on the rear wheels which are Supremes 15x7 Reverse offset.  I may get 7/32" spacers to replace the 5/16" on there now.  THAT should do it.

Alini - They are a factory protrusion behind the fender.  I believe there is a "secondary skin" for lack of a better term.  My guess is that this is stamped into the sheet metal as a release point (?).  I could be totally wrong.

Either way, the humps are rubbing the sidewall.

Thanks for the replies!

Chris

first64riv,

I know exactly what you r talking about with the bumps, probably about 1 in intrusion into fender well from the rear quarter panel towards the trunk. However I have no idea why they are there, but I fell sure it is structurally related. Just replied because no one seems to not know they are there, or possibly they don't have them on their car. Mine is also a 64.

• Like 1