Sign in to follow this  
Nevadavic

1934 Buick 50 Series with insert bearings

Nevadavic    25

I have a ’34 Buick 50 Series 235 Cubic inch engine with main and rod insert bearings installed.  I have one of the rod bearings making a little noise.  I haven’t pulled the pan yet.  I did ask the previous owner if he had any information about the insert bearings.  He said that he had no paper work and that the machine shop had gone out of business.  He did say the rods were machined to accept the insert bearings but didn’t know what bearings were used.

The shop manual shows that the rod lower bearing diameter is 2 1/8” and the width is 1 3/16”.  I haven’t removed the rod yet to check the rod journal for size.  The journal probably is undersized.

Does anyone have any idea what rod insert bearings may have been used for this engine?  That would sure help before I begin!

Thanks in advance for any help,  Vic  

IMG_0611.JPG

Edited by Nevadavic (see edit history)

F&J    388

There is a chance there will be numbers/letters on the backsides.  If so, it may be possible to ID by a rebuild shop or a bearing supply place.

Tinindian    272

This is why every vehicle should have a log book that tells everything about modifications or upgrades or even change ups.