Hard top liner and foam above liner, how do you repair?

The foam in the hard top liner of my 90 TC needs replaced.  As it is, the foam is all gone and the head liner is very loose in the back of the top.   I have read newsletter on taking out the liner to clean and replace but still don't get it.  Thanks for any help to restore my triple black baby.

I must help a fellow triple black owner.  There are 4 pieces of head liner that are attached by plastic parts.  The first 2 that need to be removed are at the top and bottom of the rear window.  The top piece is attached with 5 tree push pins and they are not open ended in the same direction.  You may want to plan on replacing the tree push pins also.  The bottom piece is attached with Phillips screws. Then there are the 2 side pieces around the porthole windows.  They should be removed by pushing to the back and to the bottom of the hardtop.  Again they are attached by tree push pins.  I took these parts to my dry cleaner who was also a hot rod type and he said they could not be dry cleaned because they were attached (glued) to the plastic.  The remainder of the liner is attached by pressure between different parts.  I would suggest not removing these parts completely but loosening them and sliding the liner out.  Be very careful around the front "J" hook latches as they are pot metal and breaking them cannot be repaired.  The remainder of the head liner is held in by 4 metallic ribs.  Three run from front to back and 1 runs from side to side.  These ribs are held in place by plastic flat "S" shaped parts.  Part of the "S" shape holds the rib and the other end of the "S" is holds the rib by placement in the hardtop.  At this point the liner is completely out.  You will see the remainder of the foam.  Clean that up.  You will be able to see how the foam parts were cut as the glue indicates where the foam was glued down.  You can purchase new foam from a crafts or fabric store.  Should the head liner be beyond cleaning and you have to replace it, again the fabric store will come into play.  You will need 3 yards of 54 inch wide material and if you need it I have a pattern of the pieces laid out on that size material.  God luck and if you have more questions or want to see pictures let me know via PM.

• Like 1

Thanks Garnet & Gold.  Great answer.  I'll get those trees and give it a shot.  I think every bit of foam in hard top is gone.  Any tips for what thickness foam I should get?  My guess is 1/2 inch.  The liner actually is pretty clean on the interior side and now I know what holds it up.