EBay again

Joe in Canada

I buy almost nothing on EBay due to absorbent shipping costs anymore but I do browse I guess you may call it window shopping. I have always been ticked on when you do a search and so much stuff comes up that should not and that really turns me off. I was doing a search on brass era car parts and noticed an item had sponsor in fine print in the top left corner of the listing next to the picture. I had never noticed this before until now. Then looking down the column I noticed more sponsored item's. Is EBay now running payee advertising in among the listings of items for sale not related to your search.  I do not ever remember seeing door bells or skeleton key locks on an early car and are they paying EBay to have the listing there?.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=brass+era&rt=nc

Now I am totally confused!!! After I posted the listing I always check to see if all is ok. Well not all is ok seeing when I look at the link the sponsored adds are all gone. They only shows up when I click for it in my favorites bar and not through a link in the Forum. There is 38 less listings in the forum link that when I go through my favorites and they are supposed to be the same link  .

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Ebay might finally be running out of easy revenue . I know they have been getting far fewer of my $ since they chased 80% of the sellers of real old car parts { as opposed to millions of pieces of offshore" will fit" parts} away from listing on the bay. Several years ago my income couldn't keep up with the tempting offerings on ebay. These days I rarely find anything even listed that I am interested in ,never mind not at a dreamers buy it now price. As well shipping has taken a big jump. Don't know where all the old car parts are being sold but it does not look like E bay has that much of the action anymore.

Greg in Canada

I buy and sell 1939 parts there rather routinely.  It's still a great resource to me.  I also buy tons of non-car stuff on there.  Still works great as far as I can tell.  Just avoid the obvious fake listings.

As far as the same link showing different results, I can see how that can happen depending on timing of the click and routing of the information.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

When I search for parts I always check the "used" box and then sort by "newly listed" first and I search by make of the type of parts i am looking for. By checking "used" I avoid seeing all the made in China valve stem caps and Zebra-striped universal-fit seat covers.

• Like 1

Too many reasons why ebay is not the same as it was 10 to 15 years ago.  Started with "the New Ebay Motors" promoted by a new White Collar guy just hired.  He wanted it to be run like Amazon.  He had admitted zero experience in antique and collectible marketing. 

They wanted to get away from the bidding, and go with buy-it-now to speed up the sales/profits.  (why wait 7 days to get their cut) Part of some people's enjoyment was the whole idea of "winning" an item, by highest bidding.   We heard from friends: "Look what I just WON on ebay"

All these changes came at the worst timing, around the so-defined "recession" of '08.  and selling % costs kept climbing!

Stuff snowballs unintentionally:  People stop buying as much in recession, then sellers start to buy less things locally to list on ebay.  So, then the active buyers can't find much listed for that 1927 Cadillac, so they stop looking.  Sellers then get hit even harder.   Local sales at tag-sales, swaps and fleamarkets don't get as many sales of things that were once bought to re-sell on ebay. That is why you can't find "as many" rarer parts/pieces like you could years ago on ebay.

Part of the early success years of ebay, was also the "fad" of it.  That wore out, and gets old if you had bid way beyond your income, or had bid too often on spur of the moment items.

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Ebay might finally be running out of easy revenue . I know they have been getting far fewer of my $ since they chased 80% of the sellers of real old car parts { as opposed to millions of pieces of offshore" will fit" parts} away from listing on the bay. Several years ago my income couldn't keep up with the tempting offerings on ebay. These days I rarely find anything even listed that I am interested in ,never mind not at a dreamers buy it now price. As well shipping has taken a big jump. Don't know where all the old car parts are being sold but it does not look like E bay has that much of the action anymore.

Greg in Canada

Could some of that be Ebay rolling with the times? When I first got on Ebay it was for the most part, all original/NOS parts. With most of that stuff selling years ago, I am guessing the repro stuff is whats left.  Only so many old parts, only so many buyers that need them. If a person would have not listed their good stuff years ago, they might get really good money out of it now. In the sea of offshore parts.

The only stuff I am really in the market for is mid size circa 1910 - 1914 parts for my speedster basket case and mid 1950's to early 1980's vintage racing parts , Lotus, Lola , TVR etc.  The pickings are slim and getting slimmer.  The early stuff is almost non- existent in repro form. The vintage race oriented stuff is almost all available new but not on ebay and generally at prices that make you think you are buying business jet parts. I just want old, semi used up stuff for my mongrel Lotus auto x car. Not something that is going to get me an invitation to the Goodwood festival .

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I've had pretty good luck on eBay finding small parts such as gauges at reasonable prices.

But wading through the new junk is tedious... not to mention since I'm building a speedster I'm not searching for parts for a specific make... makes searching a chore.

Searching for "brass era" or "horseless carriage" brings up mostly the same pieces that have been listed over and over again for the last year...

Like 1912Staver, I'm looking for brass era stuff. I check the "used" box because nothing I'm looking for is reproduced, except for Model Ts,  and none of that will suit my purposes. That said, I may devote 10 minutes a day to a search. I have found things but I'm no ebay cheerleader. I think I'd rather put my extra bits in the rubbish than go through the effort to sell on ebay again — I have given things away rather than try to deal with selling. With no local swap meets and very little brass era material advertised anywhere, ebay is about the only choice available. Fortunately, there isn't much I need... a pair of bucket seats (which I'll probably end up making myself) and a gas pedal - which I will probably also make.

I'm also weary of the same things coming up time and again, nearly always with idiotic "buy it now" prices. Though I acknowledge it to be a bit childish of me, I am offended by grossly unrealistic asking prices...as if the seller is saying "you idiots will pay anything for my wonderful 'rare' item." Silly yes, but there are times when I'd like to send them an electronic obscene gesture.

I have had a bit of luck looking for things outside ebay motors... I found this worked particularly well with early gages and got a very nice early dash mounted amp gage and a fuel pressure gage that way...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

People just don't have money to spend. Would you bid on an item listed at $4.99 Buy it Now with FREE postage in the USA? OR is a .99 cent item with $4.00 postage & handling a more appealing deal? Bob

You guys think shipping is bad in the U.S, try being international most things are usually at least USD$50 to post.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, hidden_hunter said:

You guys think shipping is bad in the U.S, try being international most things are usually at least USD$50 to post.

That all changed when the USPS decided anything over 4 pounds was going to get monumentally more expensive.

I was very apprehensive about ebay's global shipping but I sold a carburetor to someone in Spain who urged me to use it.

I was shocked at, not only,  how cheap it is but how easy it is to use.

Before ebay implemented the global shipping feature I sold a logging stamp hammer to someone in Canada.

The package was over 4 pounds and the postage was $58........ :wacko:

Here's the listing >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Security-Badge-Willow-Run-/142334163797?hash=item2123c6fb55:g:b54AAOSwfVpYuIq0

Seller information: wildbrookacres (932 ) 100% Positive feedback

I tried a google reverse image search.......nothing.

I tried several image search queries........nothing.........not even close....... :wacko:

I got ONE image that matched the one by adding the word "pinback" which led to this auction.

Is that pin even a real thing?

7 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

I've sold a fair amount of things to Australia, New Zealand and Europe, I always feel bad about the cost of postage, you guys really love the hobby. I believe the eBay Global shipping is a rip off for the buyer. If you have received an item using eBay Global is it in the same box the seller packed it in with an additional label added? Most times if I list a good automotive item I'll state I'm happy to sell & ship overseas and it is a direct me to the buyer deal with the shipping cost once I know what it is. Postage saved is more money the buyer has to spend on more parts. Bob

There are piles and piles of NOS parts out their,  and more used stuff.  I think it has just gotten to the point that it's in alot fewer hands.  I know a guy who deal in NOS parts and I think is in his 80's.  He has a barn full of really really good stuff.  He's out buying up another guy's 30's -40's Buick and Pontiac NOS hoard now.  He sells some stuff but picks just a few items at a time.  I know of a Hudson guy in his 90's that vends at a few shows.  His Hudson parts(NOS) are quite pricey but occasionally I can buy an NOS GM or Mopar part from him  at shows.  I'm actually not even sure if he is even vending any more,  but he told me he has a barn full of Hudson parts and you have to walk sideways to get through it.  

The problem with the guys that hoard the parts and continue to buy more lots, is when something happens and they decide to finally liquidate or the estate does,  you now have $100,000-$300,000 or more lots.  Most guys don't have the space or resources to step into a lot that size.  The most I have ever physically bought was a couple pickup loads for $7500 and few of those items sold for over 100.00.  

You really have to think is this what I really want to do with this kind of money.  

Often those lots are also several states away,  so transportation as well as loading and unloading the truck becomes a major issue. 

I always think (like right now as my phone hasn't rang in a while)  that the parts are drying up as well,  then a whole new batch comes along.  

I remember one time a couple of years ago,  I came in from buying NOS Ford parts and Literature off a local estate, I had been trying to buy from for a few years,  when the phone rang,  with someone with parts NOS Packard Hudson and Mercury, (that I bought) all while there was a message on the machine for NOS Pontiac parts (which I also bought)  All three in one day. 

It's all work to actually get from a pile in someone's garage to cleaned identified listed and shipped,  all while hoping you bought it right enough to absorb the fees and make up for the at least 20 if not 50 % stuff you will have to dispose of and probably not get anything for. 

I'm sure the pickings are slim compared to 20 or 30 years ago,  but I know there is a lot of stuff out there.  Especially NOS. 

• Like 1

Yes, ebay revenues are slowing down on used stuff and they are going after Amazon with newer items.  They are trying to be what they are not.

I agree that ebay has shot themselves in the foot on numerous occasions. The shipping is just ridiculous with them collecting a percentage.

Much of the thanks can go to Donahue, who is now gone. He favored buyers and threw sellers to the wind.

I rarely sell there any longer, but do still buy. When I see sales tax being chged on an item- I immediately cancel my order.

Too many grubby hands out there, reaching for my wallet..............

ebay has become greedy!

• Like 3

I used to buy stashes of parts from computer illiterate guys and market them, usually two moderately sized collections a year.

I haven't bothered this year. I keep close records and it is not worth it. I know some collections have been thrown out. And space takers I own that are worth less than $50 have gone to the curb.

Old car parts? How much do they weigh?

I don't think Donahoe ever sold anything online. He is probably an algorithm that fits everything. I just did an Ebay search: John Donahoe, I got a book called Learning and Complex Behavior .  They also said I might like a book about the ways dogs see, smell, and know.

I know the three things dogs will do with smell as the first.

Bernie

I find that specialization works. Find a niche market.  We have driven all over the USA with a 20 ft enclosed trailer buying 34-36 Auburn parts.  Bring the parts home and restore, rebuild, paint it ,chrome it, do what ever is needed to have the best product possible.  We run a small ad in HMN and the ACD club.  We have a website and and pay Google a small fee.  ( I would rather restore a car than build a website. )  We have never sold a part on eBay.   Life is Good .

• Like 1

Mercer09 - "When I see sales tax being chged on an item- I immediately cancel my order".

Why? I sell odds and ends on Ebay. I file a Schedule "C" to stay out of trouble with the Feds. I am REQUIRED to collect New York State sales tax on all items sold to New York residents, whether at a show or on Ebay. It is illegal for me to "include" sales tax in the price shown - the Dept of Taxation makes that very clear. That's why you don't see those "No sales tax on cash purchases" signs in mom and pops anymore.

Why would you cancel an order because the vendor doesn't want to end up being fined or worse ?

If you see what seem like exorbitant shipping costs,  you can always question the seller.  Sometimes,  it's an honest mistake.  When you create a new listing from an existing one,  things sometimes get overlooked such as changing the box from priority mail for an item over 4 lbs.  International to First class for under 4 pounds.    This should always be questioned before the auction ends and you bid though.  I have had a few people complain about a shipping price after the auction is over.   Sometimes stuff is just heavy and costs to ship.  Often sellers lose money as ebay gets their 15 percent of your shipping charge.  I print my own labels just so people don't complain any more that I made .68 on the shipping.  Forgetting that I have to buy the labels, ink, and box plus drive the whole thing to the post office. 

Mercer09 - "When I see sales tax being chged on an item- I immediately cancel my order".

Why? I sell odds and ends on Ebay. I file a Schedule "C" to stay out of trouble with the Feds. I am REQUIRED to collect New York State sales tax on all items sold to New York residents, whether at a show or on Ebay. It is illegal for me to "include" sales tax in the price shown - the Dept of Taxation makes that very clear. That's why you don't see those "No sales tax on cash purchases" signs in mom and pops anymore.

Why would you cancel an order because the vendor doesn't want to end up being fined or worse ?

In no deference to sellers, I will buy out of state rather then give tax revenue to the government

so you see, I dont like government and their taxes one bit- the reason everyone left England in the first place.......................

also Vermont, NJ and NY have the highest taxes in the nation- I own  houses in both states and my only answer is a big   U F!)

• Like 2

I have been fighting with eBay and Paypal for about 3 weeks on a purchase I made with an e-paypal gift card.  It withdrew money from both the e card and my paypal account, which overdrew my bank account as I keep very little in that account.  I called Paypal, who said they know there is a glitch in eBays system but it was not their problem, transferred me to eBay, ebay says they can't see where it took money from both card and paypal and there is no glitch and transfers me back to paypal.  After several calls, eBay says, "Yes, I see where it took money from both the card and your paypal account", but we can't fix it, it is paypals problem...  Back to paypal.  Paypal says they can fix it, it was a glitch in eBays system and they know about it and they have to initiate the refund.  Several more hours on the phone and back and forth between the two because neither one can initiate a 3 way call.  Finally a "teammate" from eBay says that paypal will be issuing a mass refund in a few days, I should have the money by Friday April 7th, maybe????  NO money yet!!!!!!

This week I called on Monday and it was almost like starting over, but I think????, I might have gotten somewhere, again back and forth between the two until I said I want to speak with a supervisor, he was able to 3 way call and I actually have a conformation number.  I even got a phone call from eBay yesterday confirming the call that I made on Monday.   I might get my money back this week???  Overall I have spent about 5 hours on the phone, been transferred back and forth too many times to count, have killed the battery on many cordless phones and still am waiting.

I have really got a bad taste in my mouth from this experience and the lack of desire to fix it on eBay and paypals side. 

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)

On April 20, 2017 at 3:45 PM, dalef62 said:

I have been fighting with eBay and Paypal for about 3 weeks on a purchase I made with an e-paypal gift card.  It withdrew money from both the e card and my paypal account, which overdrew my bank account as I keep very little in that account.  I called Paypal, who said they know there is a glitch in eBays system but it was not their problem, transferred me to eBay, ebay says they can't see where it took money from both card and paypal and there is no glitch and transfers me back to paypal.  After several calls, eBay says, "Yes, I see where it took money from both the card and your paypal account", but we can't fix it, it is paypals problem...  Back to paypal.  Paypal says they can fix it, it was a glitch in eBays system and they know about it and they have to initiate the refund.  Several more hours on the phone and back and forth between the two because neither one can initiate a 3 way call.  Finally a "teammate" from eBay says that paypal will be issuing a mass refund in a few days, I should have the money by Friday April 7th, maybe????  NO money yet!!!!!!

This week I called on Monday and it was almost like starting over, but I think????, I might have gotten somewhere, again back and forth between the two until I said I want to speak with a supervisor, he was able to 3 way call and I actually have a conformation number.  I even got a phone call from eBay yesterday confirming the call that I made on Monday.   I might get my money back this week???  Overall I have spent about 5 hours on the phone, been transferred back and forth too many times to count, have killed the battery on many cordless phones and still am waiting.

I have really got a bad taste in my mouth from this experience and the lack of desire to fix it on eBay and paypals side. 

I had an issue like that and they each blamed the other. They weren't releasing funds to PayPal and were holding the deposit for weeks for no reason. Some kind of glitch they said. I spent a lot of time on the phone with them, explaining over and over to different people at both companies to resolve it. It was only a $160 transaction!

I only use ebay as last stop to find something and have stopped selling because the last time I sold something, the buyer received it as described but said that is was not correctly described.  I said that it was NOS which it was and they complained that it was not the current part number part.  Oviously the seller wanted something different or had an application that the part would not work and LIED ON THE COMPLAINT form.  ebay took the money out of my account and gave it back to the buyer and the BUYER KEPT THE PARTS!  On top of that I got a bad rating from the theif buyer that I could not even defend myself from the theif.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I spent a lot of time on the phone with them, explaining over and over to different people at both companies to resolve it. It was only a $160 transaction!

24 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

and have stopped selling

When the moment a Paypal payment shows up in my email, I RUN to get the funds OUT of my PP account, transferred out to my bank. 

I luckily never got reamed by a fraudulent "buyer", but as the bad years started on ebay, I decided the chance was not worth the worry anymore.

The only time I now get paid by Paypal, is when someone on a forum asks if I possibly still have a certain item that I might have mentioned before that I had bought to use for my car.  I just had a scare this week:  A forum guy from another car site, wanted some rare NOS parts I once mentioned years ago.  I decided that I should sell them.  He then claims he sent me a Paypal payment.  Over 3 days of PM's, He insisted he sent it but it still never showed up.  He insisted " I " should call Paypal !    I refused to call PP.  Then I was very worried that Paypal might be able to get into my personal bank account or my credit card that they FORCE you to list, "if" this was a "new scam" buyer, which I really did not believe he was.

Turns out that the buyer missed one "small letter "o" in my PP account ID, to a numeral "zero".....  DESPITE me warning him in the FIRST PM, that:  "...those are small letter 0's, NOT ZERO's." !!  I even said that some people have made that mistake before!!

So, in my mind, 3-4 days of worrying, and constantly checking emails and my account statements, it is certainly not worth the couple hundred dollars.

It's a shame really, as many guys who might have that one part that you desperately need, are no longer willing to list the parts.  That is depressing to me.  Most of us need rare parts...

• Like 1

I listed a few things on Ebay yesterday and really got frustrated with the "new" listing format. What kind of idiots are they expecting for sellers. Anyway, I called,asked to opt out, and have the old listing process restored. They did it in a few minutes.

What surprised me was how easily I contacted them. Over the last 15 years I have only called a few times and it was a horror story of waiting. At one point I had a store and a phone number which they claimed was special.

Yesterday I was connected with a very obvious contact number in less than a minute. It was so easy I became suspicious. As a small seller, I don't sell anywhere near what I used to, almost quit completely a few times. The speed of handling the call made me wonder how much that off business hour interaction with small sellers has decreased. I'm just wondering how many have bailed on them.

They are a company that touts the "Ebay buying experience" and thinks all the buyers are theirs. They will do ruthless things to a seller they think has wronged "their" customer. Maybe the people who were actually sending Ebay money were treated so poorly that they left and now you can get a phone call in. I guess that's an unintended benefit for the remaining sellers.

I was 11 when I started working in my Grandfather's business. My Dad told me to watch what my Grandfather did, but don't copy it, learn from it. That ended up being a lifetime awareness for me. Ebay and many other experiences have helped me become successful in a few endeavors.

Maybe it was there subconsciously last night when I saw a TV show with four or five guys working on a '55 Nomad. After a few minutes, from deep in my mind came a blooming "Male Bimbos" and I changed the channel.

Bernie

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, dalef62 said:

Just a short update on this, I received a refund to my PayPal account from eBay.  I also received a survey from them, I hope they see how disappointed I am in them. 

On 4/20/2017 at 4:45 PM, dalef62 said:

Just a short update on this, I received a refund to my PayPal account from eBay.  I also received a survey from them, I hope they see how disappointed I am in them. 

Dale, pretty sure ebay just doesnt care. if they did, they wouldnt be losing sellers in droves, but they are.

Look at the sentiment on this thread- not something to be proud of.

do yourself a favor, pull your cash from PP quickly as F and J suggests- had to do the same myself and got my money out quickly! They will go back in and grab it on you , if they can.

though it is illegal, they did do that to me once and I got in a debate on the phone, that they are not the IRS..............!

Here is my invoice for the month, I only sold one item for $65 and I owe $8.00

Grill E21 320i 1980 1981 1982 1983  Final price: $65.00 (Fixed Price)    182512999179    Final Value Fee     $6.50
Grill E21 320i 1980 1981 1982 1983  Shipping $15.00 (Fixed Price)    182512999179    Final Value Fee on Shipping     $1.50

So eBay now lets you list for free but charges 10% for the sale, including 10% fee on the shipping. So if shipping is going to cost me $15 out of pocket I need to charge about $16.50 to not lose money on shipping. In fact if I charge $16.50 eBay will then keep $1.65 of it. Then the buyer will think shipping is being over-charged.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

I have been over a year now since I bought anything on eBay and now I rarely look at the listings. Where as before I would look every day. I have a real problem with eBay's middle man shopping program charges. In actuality they are charging the buyer and seller a percentage when you use their middle man shipping program. Next they will be adding a buyers premium so I thing I will stick to the swap meets

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)