Sign in to follow this  
bodayguy

It's a "time capsule" car! ohhh-kay

Recommended Posts

bodayguy    38

Apologies if this belongs to someone on the board, but here's a 63 for sale on eBay, with buyer warning bidders about making $20 increases, etc. because of a reserve.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Buick-Riviera-coupe-/162466481213?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

 

That's "patina" all right. I see a car that needs a lot of TLC.

Not a fan of ads that portray that as originality - especially as this has had a repaint. There's a difference between a "survivor classic" that has been babied all its life, and a car that hasn't had restoration and needed it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JZRIV    555

At least the listing description seems honest with many excellent high res photos and that's most important. The problem is definition of a survivor or time capsule cars are very subjective. Compared to cars that have been butchered up and had a rough life, yes this is clearly a survivor. Compared to a car with nice original paint, seats that were kept covered, pampered climate controlled storage all its life, Not driven in rain, etc this car is not a time capsule.

The fact that is was painted is the biggest detriment to the descriptive terminology but regardless, it does look like a very nice unmolested example with low mileage. I have a feeling the reserve is going to be more optimistic than buyers are willing to be. I'd think $10k or under considering the color

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KongaMan    123
3 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

The problem is definition of a survivor or time capsule cars are very subjective.

 

The difference between a survivor and a time capsule is the difference between Keith Richards and Raquel Welch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bodayguy    38
10 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

At least the listing description seems honest with many excellent high res photos and that's most important. The problem is definition of a survivor or time capsule cars are very subjective. Compared to cars that have been butchered up and had a rough life, yes this is clearly a survivor. Compared to a car with nice original paint, seats that were kept covered, pampered climate controlled storage all its life, Not driven in rain, etc this car is not a time capsule.

The fact that is was painted is the biggest detriment to the descriptive terminology but regardless, it does look like a very nice unmolested example with low mileage. I have a feeling the reserve is going to be more optimistic than buyers are willing to be. I'd think $10k or under considering the color

 

I agree, I consider this an under $10K car. I suspect the seller does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seafoam65    157

                 I think you guys are going a little overboard on the critique.......What I see is a very nice low mileage original car

that needs new seat covers, an  engine compartment detail, trunk mat and cardboard and the armrest recovered on the driver's door, and a little spot  repair on the paint.  As far as very nice original paint

goes this does exist on early Rivs but is like searching for the Holy Grail or the Loch Ness Monster. This could be a very very sharp

car with a few weekends of work. 10K sounds like a screaming bargain to me.......I know I could sell it to one of my customers

for quite a bit more than that in about ten minutes. 

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KongaMan    123

I don't know the market that well these days, but I'd rather have this car (at an appropriate price, of course) than one that was the victim/beneficiary of a recent amateur restoration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bodayguy    38

Well it's already at $9,600 so yeah I'm probably being too harsh on it, the engine bay just really put me off and the seats. I'm all for a rising tide, so I hope it sells for a ton!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seafoam65    157

               My car had 52,000 original miles when I bought it in 2013. the engine compartment looked just like the one

on this 63. In one weekend I had it looking like new.  Before and after pics........

DSC03642.JPG

DSCN0101.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KongaMan    123
6 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

               My car had 52,000 original miles when I bought it in 2013. the engine compartment looked just like the one

on this 63. In one weekend I had it looking like new.

 

How many parts did you replace in that process, and how many did you repaint?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seafoam65    157

               I had the alternator sent out and restored  and I went ahead and replaced the water pump and fuel pump, fuel hoses and fuel filter as they were the originals. Other than that it was just a degrease,  repaint everything and install a new air cleaner aluminum pie

pan emblem. I did everything in two days. Oh also new decals on the washer solvent bottle, fan shroud, air cleaner base

and radiator and a battery topper. I used a sand blaster on the brackets and air cleaner, and hand sanded everything else.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60FlatTop    1,891
3 hours ago, KongaMan said:

 

The difference between a survivor and a time capsule is the difference between Keith Richards and Raquel Welch.

 

Maybe Dianna Richards, a little old and rough on the edges, but still a satisfying ride.

 

That's the color my car was when I bought it, so was the '68. I painted both maroon, could be a pattern developing.

Bernie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petelempert    42

IMHO, the gold car is a honey...but not a true "time capsule". To me, it's a really nice survivor class car with one repaint. I think of a time capsule car as one of these nutty rigs you see on Barrett Jackson where somebody put the car in a bag, then in a garage for 40 years. Just saw a 79 Trans Am with under 300 miles listed. That's a time capsule. Not sure if I'd want something like that anyway. Can't be good for the machine to sit that long and you'd never want to drive it anyway for fear of loading miles on it. In the case of the gold car, I think it's got a bigger problem: Not totally original, a little worn in areas and not very sexy. There...I said it. Not trashing it because I really think it's a sweet car. If it was a Vette, Challenger, Mach One or something like that, people will pay huge dollars for this level of relative originality. Unfortunately, our model/marque doesn't command big dollars unless it's unbelievably mostly original in fanatically good condition (like Winston's), restored to the max in factory configuration or maybe restomoded out the wazoo. I really nice Riv with earth tones, some wear areas and wheel covers is easily confused with Grandma's car to most big buck spenders. PRL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black River    79
11 minutes ago, petelempert said:

IMHO, the gold car is a honey...but not a true "time capsule". To me, it's a really nice survivor class car with one repaint. I think of a time capsule car as one of these nutty rigs you see on Barrett Jackson where somebody put the car in a bag, then in a garage for 40 years. Just saw a 79 Trans Am with under 300 miles listed. That's a time capsule. Not sure if I'd want something like that anyway. Can't be good for the machine to sit that long and you'd never want to drive it anyway for fear of loading miles on it. In the case of the gold car, I think it's got a bigger problem: Not totally original, a little worn in areas and not very sexy. There...I said it. Not trashing it because I really think it's a sweet car. If it was a Vette, Challenger, Mach One or something like that, people will pay huge dollars for this level of relative originality. Unfortunately, our model/marque doesn't command big dollars unless it's unbelievably mostly original in fanatically good condition (like Winston's), restored to the max in factory configuration or maybe restomoded out the wazoo. I really nice Riv with earth tones, some wear areas and wheel covers is easily confused with Grandma's car to most big buck spenders. PRL

I agree 100%

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EmTee    559

A nice, honest car IMHO and one I would not be ashamed to own.  As Winston said, this car would be a very nice driver with a little TLC.  The biggest issue here is the seller's expectation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

                 I think you guys are going a little overboard on the critique.......What I see is a very nice low mileage original car

that needs new seat covers, an  engine compartment detail, trunk mat and cardboard and the armrest recovered on the driver's door, and a little spot  repair on the paint.  As far as very nice original paint

goes this does exist on early Rivs but is like searching for the Holy Grail or the Loch Ness Monster. This could be a very very sharp

car with a few weekends of work. 10K sounds like a screaming bargain to me.......I know I could sell it to one of my customers

for quite a bit more than that in about ten minutes. 

Agree 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pat Curran    55

Other than the exhaust system, this car appears correct and not screwed with.  Sure it has patina and with some old fashioned elbow grease this car can be made to be a nice driver or taken even further.  What I like about this car is that you don't have to fix others attempts at a quickie restoration.  This car has originality in spades and I prefer that.  It doesn't appear to be a rust bucket and looks straight all the way around.  A new arm rest and some new seat covers would do wonders for this car as well as a good detailing under the hood.  How many of these do you see still wearing the original wheel covers?  Granted the sellers expectation is a bit high but if someone gets this car for the current bid then they are getting a good deal.

I would rather buy an unmolested original Riv for a reasonable price over one that has been fluffed up incorrectly for a quickie re-sale.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Pat Curran
added content (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seafoam65    157

                The 63 Riviera in question got bid up to 12,801.00 but did not meet the reserve so it did not sell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this