Wanted 1916 REO Motometer

rdukw

Restoration Supply www,restostuff.com sells complete repro motometers, both large "senior" and small "junior," AND replacement marque logo inserts AND "repair kits" which include gaskets, screws, and beveled-edge glass.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:07 PM, PFindlay said:

I have a spare motometer, large diameter, but it's generic.  No REO or any other car make on it,

Peter

What is the finish on it. all the repo ones appear to be chrome or brass. I am looking for nickle.

Thank you

You want what?

In 1916, a motometer for a REO would have been after-market. I am not sure when Boyce began selling nameplates to match cars, but I am fairly sure it was not until after WWI. Boyce Motometers come in a dozen different common original styles. Most of the more common styles were not made until after about 1918, and several of the most common ones were not manufactured until some time in the 1920s. Nearly all motometers with face glass on both the front and back of the meter are 1918 and later. A few styles had face glass on the front only before 1920, and as early as 1915 about. Most of the correct 1916 style Boyce motometers were simple die-cast with a single Boyce name plate on the front, held in place by four tiny screws. NO GLASS or bezel. Some early ones were cast brass, most were some type of zinc or pot metal (but not the type so well known for cracking and disintegrating with age). They generally were not painted or plated before WWI.

If you go with the REO nameplate, or a later style with glass on both the front and back of the meter? Or nickel plated? Don't worry about it! That is what many people do with many makes of cars, Packards, Studebakers, REOs and many more. Even though it is not technically historically correct for 1916 or before. The reproduction Motometers also look nice. Although I do wish they were available in nickel instead of chrome plating.

Interestingly enough (at least to me), the earlier style meter with no glass front or rear, showed up in advertising at least until 1922 that I have seen. That one surprised me when someone showed me the ad a couple decades ago.