1954 century sedan. GA to NC

NC-car-guy

So I guess the first question is:

The paint feels a little "rough" in spots and is only semi-shiny. The paint is not dry and chalky though. As we all know this car sat for 25 years. In the floorboards I found 1992 newspaper with masking tape and paint spray, leading me to believe that it was sprayed just before being left to sit.  I would guess this is not a base coat/ clear coat paint job.  So the question is, whats the next step to bring this paint to life?  Do I use polishing compound? wet sand? just wax and buff?

1992?  It might be acrylic lacquer or acrylic enamel (with or without hardener) or even synthetic enamel.  Get some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and and gently sand where the bumper covers the paint.  If color is on the paper it of course is not BC-CC.  If you can apply polishing compound to the sanded area and bring out a nice shine, then the paint may be lacquer or enamel with hardener.  Next wipe another hidden area with a rag moistened with lacquer thinner...if color readily shows on the rag it is probably lacquer.  Report back.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

So I guess the first question is:

The paint feels a little "rough" in spots and is only semi-shiny. The paint is not dry and chalky though. As we all know this car sat for 25 years. In the floorboards I found 1992 newspaper with masking tape and paint spray, leading me to believe that it was sprayed just before being left to sit.  I would guess this is not a base coat/ clear coat paint job.  So the question is, whats the next step to bring this paint to life?  Do I use polishing compound? wet sand? just wax and buff?

You ought to take the car back to the shyster who sold it to you. It's obvious he pulled one over on you by shaking a vacuum cleaner bag of dust on the car and telling you it was a barn find just to try and hide that paint job.   

• Like 10

Oh man she is really looking good already!!!  You didn't waste any time did you!? SO SO Glad to see this car go to you Matt. Will be such an easy and fun fixer upper. And you really lucked up on that 50% off sale on all the chrome and pot metal replacement pieces:D.

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4263.JPGIMG_4261.JPGIMG_4265.JPGIMG_4273.JPGIMG_4296.JPGIMG_4297.JPG

Any word on the status of the mechanics yet?

• Like 12

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

You ought to take the car back to the shyster who sold it to you. It's obvious he pulled one over on you by shaking a vacuum cleaner bag of dust on the car and telling you it was a barn find just to try and hide that paint job.   

and before anybody starts believing that BS, the very first thing I pointed out when we walked up to the car was the dullish looking paint, right Matt?

• Like 5

You might want to try one of my old tricks for bringing back old paint,used on all 80-something of mine,wipe it down the whole car with kerosene,adds oil back to paint and loosens any overspray.Then go back and rub down the whole car,terry cloth towel dampened with kerosene,this will remove dead paint .Then wash with good hot water and Dawn dish soap.Then polishing compound,old Dupont #7 works best using quite damp cloth and keep re-wetting,in straight back and forth rubbing,this allows you to fill in any minor surface scratching with circular polishing later.When finished use a damp towel to remove excess compound one section at a time and dry with another towel right after.Then go at it with wax.My Grandfather taught me this with my first car,'63 Impala SS convertible,the dark maroon paint looked like it had never been waxed and turned almost white,after doing this it looked like new again.On the chrome I use 0000 steel wool,made for polishing metal,a lot less messy,especially inside where you don't want all the goop of liquid.Try a small section with both these tricks,don't be scared,I never ruined one yet,that's why "Elvira" looks so good,you might be surprised and less invasive than sanding and less work. By the way,another beautiful 4dr. saved,good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by RivRider
short addition (see edit history)
  • Like 6

As for the mechanics,  she's not stuck.  Still gonna send a lil oil into each cylinder before cranking.  I had to help a friend haul a truck tonight,  so tomorrow I will begin Willie's paint test and manually oiling the engine. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Oh man she is really looking good already!!!  You didn't waste any time did you!? SO SO Glad to see this car go to you Matt. Will be such an easy and fun fixer upper. And you really lucked up on that 50% off sale on all the chrome and pot metal replacement pieces:D.

I just "set" the trim on for photos since I was so excited to have it home.   And I was shook down for my lunch money au this 50% sale!  JK ha ha ha I got a great deal!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

and before anybody starts believing that BS, the very first thing I pointed out when we walked up to the car was the dullish looking paint, right Matt?

You did.  And you did not misrepresent anything. I encourage anyone that's interested in the other cars to have a look,  you won't be disappointed. 

• Like 5

This is a beautiful car.  It seems so well-proportioned and the lighter colors fit very well.  The more attention I pay to the '54, the more appealing they become.  Further, I don't and have never really understood knocking the four door as I think they exhibit all the grace and character of the other models.  I hope you'll have a lot of fun with her - getting her going,  making those small improvements, and giving lots more miles.

Thanks for sharing,

Joel

• Like 4

20 hours ago, old-tank said:

1992?  It might be acrylic lacquer or acrylic enamel (with or without hardener) or even synthetic enamel.  Get some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and and gently sand where the bumper covers the paint.  If color is on the paper it of course is not BC-CC.  If you can apply polishing compound to the sanded area and bring out a nice shine, then the paint may be lacquer or enamel with hardener.  Next wipe another hidden area with a rag moistened with lacquer thinner...if color readily shows on the rag it is probably lacquer.  Report back.

Ok couldn't wait, got up early...  blue comes off on the 1000 grit.  I need to get laquer thinner (i only have mineral spirits) and some polishing compound at lunch today...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Ok couldn't wait, got up early...  blue comes off on the 1000 grit.  I need to get laquer thinner (i only have mineral spirits) and some polishing compound at lunch today...

I don't recommend eating lacquer thinner and polishing compound for lunch.  

• Like 3

On 4/10/2017 at 10:53 AM, old-tank said:

Color did rub off with laquer thinner. Polishing compound seems to have no affect on the sanded or unsanded paint. Maybe too light of a grit?

• Like 1

Now that it is cleaned, can you get pictures to show what you're talking about. The worse areas I recall were along the sides? What I saw might could be brought to shine with progressively using 1500 and 2000, 2500 grit paper then wax and polish. 

• Like 1

You really should try my method on that paint,might surprise you,pick a fender and give it a whirl.Do you know if it was repainted ? If it was,the sanding would be the way,if not that old paint should come back.Stay away from that lacquer thinner.Take a look at my '60 LeSabre "Elvira",she looked a lot worse than yours before I started,I should have taken pictures after dust and before my clean up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

Yea I want to get one. Just wanted to make sure I'm doing the right process. 

2 minutes ago, RivRider said:

You really should try my method on that paint,might surprise you,pick a fender and give it a whirl.Do you know if it was repainted ? If it was,the sanding would be the way,if not that old paint should come back.Stay away from that lacquer thinner.Take a look at my '60 LeSabre "Elvira",she looked a lot worse than yours before I started,I should have taken pictures after dust and before my clean up.

Yes def repainted. 

• Like 1

Nice car, suspect Mrs. Earl is happy to have some of the inventory gone from the retro Buick dealer.  Did you get the same warranty I got?  5 years 50,000 miles?  If you got a better deal I will be upset!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, kgreen said:

Nice car, suspect Mrs. Earl is happy to have some of the inventory gone from the retro Buick dealer.  Did you get the same warranty I got?  5 years 50,000 miles?  If you got a better deal I will be upset!

Warranty?  Hmph!

Lol

• Like 4

Got all the wheels turning freely.  Brake adjusters were all the way out. Rear axle seals seem shot. Pushed her into the shop.   But the big news for the evening is that it runs.  I was able to turn it by hand sunday night. Monday we sprayed a lil marvel in each cylinder and turned by hand,  last night we put more marvel and turned with the starter.  Tonight we just ran the starter to make sure there was no oil built up,  then put the plugs back in.  Fuel lines are new,  fuel filter was clean. Cleaned the points,  and rotor button. Poured a few gallons in the tank, and a drizzle in the carb,  hit the starter..........  she fired right up and idled like nothing to it. Oil pressure came up, lots of lifter tapping. Didnt run it long as fuel was shooting out of what appears to be a weep hole in the side of the pump..... trying to post a video to YouTube so i can link it here. 

20170412_201456.jpg

20170412_203213.jpg

• Like 10

Those fuel pumps are easy to rebuild. Assuming you didn't rip the oil seals, usually those and the diaphragms can be left alone and the big rubber pieces are usually all that needs to be replaced. I can't recall a weep hole on any of the pumps I've seen, both here and at the junkyard, but perhaps the pulsator diaphragm ruptured and it's seeping out the top?

40 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Those fuel pumps are easy to rebuild. Assuming you didn't rip the oil seals, usually those and the diaphragms can be left alone and the big rubber pieces are usually all that needs to be replaced. I can't recall a weep hole on any of the pumps I've seen, both here and at the junkyard, but perhaps the pulsator diaphragm ruptured and it's seeping out the top?

There is literally a small hole in the "bridge" bewtween the fuel part and the vacuum part of the pump.  It's about 1/8" and facing out towards the inner fender of the car.  Every time it pumps a big shot of fuel blows out that little hole.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

There is literally a small hole in the "bridge" bewtween the fuel part and the vacuum part of the pump.  It's about 1/8" and facing out towards the inner fender of the car.  Every time it pumps a big shot of fuel blows out that little hole.

Diaphragm likely holed.  Not good on fuel pumps and other types of diaphragms.  

11 minutes ago, old-tank said:

If gas is coming out of the "weep hole" there is a good chance gas is also going into crankcase.  Repair or replace the fuel pump and change oil and filter.

That's what I figured.  I have piles of these things, but every darn one is dry rotted from sitting.